Player Watch Flynn Appleby (Delisted 2020)

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
At the time he was - not sure what they've been doing with him since then.

One thing he isn't is a tall defender capable of playing on someone nearly 4 inches taller and 7kgs heavier.

I find it laughable that some posters on this board are going full keyboard warrior on him instead of the selection committee, because it was patently obvious that he was totally outmatched physically and I don't think he's ever been given the job on a legitimate 6'4+ tall forward even at VFL level.

It wasn't only that. He also butchered it every time he got the ball, which wasn't many times. He couldn't put a foot right, it was laughable. Benny Hill music started playing every time it went near him.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
It wasn't only that. He also butchered it every time he got the ball, which wasn't many times. He couldn't put a foot right, it was laughable. Benny Hill music started playing every time it went near him.

I reckon Appleby's background music should come from a live album.. so we can hear applause (looking at it in a sarcastic way) every 4-5 mins for his dh acts on the field.

What a kreas re.

Last edited:

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
It was a simply bizarre selection...I'm sure th usual suspects will leap in to defend the club... but you can't spin that one... results are in.

That aside, he had a chance to show us what he can do playing on taller opponents.......:eek:

Sorry but Apples being a bit undersized v direct opponents is absolutely no excuse for the complete defensive ineptitude he displayed.

His spoiling efforts and limp body contact efforts were particularly pathetic... probably an over-used term but 100% accurate in this case. It was pathetic (and infuriating) to watch.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon Appleby's background music should come from a live album.. so we can hear applause (looking at it in a sarcastic way) every 4-5 for his dh acts on the field.

What a kreas re.

My personal favourite was when he decided it wasn't his night and went to go sideways off the mark... and got smothered.

den mas xezeis?

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
My personal favourite was when he decided it wasn't his night and went to go sideways off the mark... and got smothered.

den mas xezeis?

Bad player.

If we're gonna play 3-4 games in a finals series with him in there.. you would at least expect a similar type of display in at least 1 of em.. so what the f is the point.. there's inexperience.. then there's Appleby..

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bad player.

If we're gonna play 3-4 games in a finals series with him in there.. you would at least expect a similar type of display in at least 1 of em.. so what the f is the point.. there's inexperience.. then there's Appleby..

A lot would have to go wrong. He must have had 8 kicked on him. If we had our time again no doubt we would choose Scharenberg and Noble is already ahead of him as a small defender. He's just a break glass in case of emergency player like Madgen.

Crocker is one too, so is Wills, we really have been pushed to the edge of our depth.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Pretty sure he's contracted for 2020.

More appropriate thread 👍

Did you mean Appleby or Greenwood? I have my doubts on Appleby having a contract for 2020, but I know Greenwood does. My hunch is that the club is unlikely to keep both Appleby and Murray on the rookie list with the emergence of Noble.

Neither will be upgraded so I think one will go. If I’m wrong and Appleby has a contract it’s an easy call, but if he doesn’t it’s a line ball decision. I rate Murray higher personally because he makes the play and is a better defender, IMO. I just couldn’t reward him with a new contract so I’d stick with Appleby in that case.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers

Did you mean Appleby or Greenwood? I have my doubts on Appleby having a contract for 2020, but I know Greenwood does. My hunch is that the club is unlikely to keep both Appleby and Murray on the rookie list with the emergence of Noble.

Neither will be upgraded so I think one will go. If I’m wrong and Appleby has a contract it’s an easy call, but if he doesn’t it’s a line ball decision. I rate Murray higher personally because he makes the play and is a better defender, IMO. I just couldn’t reward him with a new contract so I’d stick with Appleby in that case.

Appleby signed a two year contract extension at the end of the 2018 season..

(also shows in footywire as being contracted until 2020)

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

What partypie said.

I actually think Appleby is a better defender than Murray, especially 1v1.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
No time for partypie so you’ll probably need to clarify?

Appleby signed a 2 year extension at the end of 2018. He's contracted for 2020.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
A lot would have to go wrong. He must have had 8 kicked on him. If we had our time again no doubt we would choose Scharenberg and Noble is already ahead of him as a small defender. He's just a break glass in case of emergency player like Madgen.

Crocker is one too, so is Wills, we really have been pushed to the edge of our depth.
Wills depth??

WEIRD.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wills depth??

WEIRD.

You don't need to dig up a post from July 22 when he hadn't played since May 24 on September 12 to rub it in my face. You are better than that.

And if Beams was right or Sier pulled his finger out he would be depth.

If you can't crack the seniors for 10 rounds despite being fit you are depth.

You don't need to dig up a post from July 22 when he hadn't played since May 24 on September 12 to rub it in my face. You are better than that.

And if Beams was right or Sier pulled his finger out he would be depth.

If you can't crack the seniors for 10 rounds despite being fit you are depth.
You saying he’s better than that is the only inaccuracy that I can see in your post.

Biggest sook on the board and I’d pay him no attention where I you. I’d rather read what old mate Trav has to say.

You saying he’s better than that is the only inaccuracy that I can see in your post.

Biggest sook on the board and I’d pay him no attention where I you. I’d rather read what old mate Trav has to say.
I will second you on that

Back