Folau - Ruck or Bust...

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Folau - Ruck

I think its becoming more clear that if the club is to do the right thing for both Folau and gws it needs to focus on developing him into a ruckman as to think he could be a defender is completely wrong.

When you consider the skill base that he has it is clear ruck is the perfect position for him and in fact could be star in that position. If they keep trying to turn him into a defender he will keep struggling.

As a winger in league the skill base he has is that he has excellent speed, good height and a good leap to take a high ball. However as a winger he had no need to kick the ball, and also as a winger he is normally the last player to receive the ball - hence passing skills not as important as they were for hunt as a fullback, and this is an area where hunt is clearly ahead of Folau because as a fullback in league he often played the role of link man so needed a good passing game and at times also demonstrated kicking skills. So unlike Folau, hunt was not starting from scratch in these areas.

For mine if gws was to say to Folau we see you as playing ruck and to tell him to use his speed, his leap and his reflexes to be the first to the ball in every ruck contest and then to build on his skill base around the ground from that point it would do wonders for his confidence.

I think it is also interesting to note that when Folau was first signed by gws mike pyke actually said that he was a much better signing then hunt as he assumed given Folau size and athletic ability he would be playing ruck, and actually thought he would make an excellent ruck.

That might well be the long term plan - but before he gets taught about a specific position, he still has to learn about reading the play, and it's much easier to do that in the backline, and if he can pick up some other skills while playing there I don't see a huge problem..

That might well be the long term plan - but before he gets taught about a specific position, he still has to learn about reading the play, and it's much easier to do that in the backline, and if he can pick up some other skills while playing there I don't see a huge problem..

But at the moment playing in the backline is chipping away at his confidence. However by being in the ruck he would be able to build his confidence by having a set role and as I mentioned before his skill base is more suited to being in the ruck.

But at the moment playing in the backline is chipping away at his confidence. However by being in the ruck he would be able to build his confidence by having a set role and as I mentioned before his skill base is more suited to being in the ruck.

Where have you heard this?

given the league you guys are playing and what I am hearing about Folau it seems best to keep him in defence for as long as possible.

The other option, given his size and abilities throwing him on a wing and telling him to run all day may actually pull something out of him (or the HFF)

from the minimal I have seen of him, he doesn't appear all that bad - hell Pyke made it so why can't he.

I think the idea of Folau losing confidence should (hopefully) be laughable. This isn't some just drafted kid we're talking about, this is someone who's played at the top level of another code and dominated.

I think the idea of Folau losing confidence should (hopefully) be laughable. This isn't some just drafted kid we're talking about, this is someone who's played at the top level of another code and dominated.[/QUOTE

But the point is that he was a topliner in another sport that is so removed from afl its not funny. So he has gone from finding things very easy in league to now battling in a brand new sport, a sport he had never played until this year so lack of confidence is more likely then not.

I certainly hope he is "learning the game", because I just can't see him going well as a backman. Rucks are his bests chance IMO, he isn't very tall but with that leap of his he may go okay. If Pike is going okay than surely Folau can

Folau's leap and marking ability were his forte in RL.
He's perfect for CHB. Provided there's another tall in the goalsquare, theres no reason why he can't ruck the sideline throwins when its down in the backline area.
Whats the problem?
He doesn't have to be a centresquare ruckman cos he's not tall enough, but Goodsey does plenty third up ruck and he's similar height.

If he calls up Hunt, he'd be advised to mark and then handball. :D

I'd like to see him play more at full forward this year - he is big and strong and has a proven ability to leap and catch the ball; use this year to improve his confidence in front of goal and ability to lead, and we will have ourselves a quality full forward.

It will also massively increase his marketing value to the club if he gets the chance to take a few pack marks up forward. If the aim is to use Folau to attract league fans to follow the giants, he needs to be given the chance to pull off a few big hits, take some marks, and run a bit more. even if in real footy terms he's not having a massive impact, to league fans, these are the things that get noticed. and if people aren't watching the game, these are the things that will appear in highlights, on the back page of papers, etc, that show league fans his talent is being put to good use in AFL, and that it's not really that foreign a game.

Just on marketing, imagine a highlights reel of Folau pulling off a strong tackle or bump that knocks the ball out, getting the ball and having a run, shrugging a couple of defenders, going inside 50 and nailing it. combine that with leaping above a pack to take a couple of hangers. This is the sort of thing league fans love to see, and the sort of thing they are used to seeing from Folau.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was moved up forward yesterday for the 2nd half. Unlucky not to get a goal from a set shot. Played a part in a few other goals too. He was okay up front

He was moved up forward yesterday for the 2nd half. Unlucky not to get a goal from a set shot. Played a part in a few other goals too. He was okay up front

I second that GF. He was better than ok up front, he looked like he belonged there. AT CHF he'd allow a more experienced bloke to be FF, but Folau would sure attract a couple of defenders to let the FF have more space.

I second that GF. He was better than ok up front, he looked like he belonged there. AT CHF he'd allow a more experienced bloke to be FF, but Folau would sure attract a couple of defenders to let the FF have more space.

Sheedy said he will give him some more time up forward, so it will be good to see how he goes :)

It would be great if GWS recorded the matches and uploaded the game or at least highlights to the website, it would be a shame to go through the whole year and not have seen the boys play at all.

Not a shock to see that the experiment of trying to turn folau into a defender may be over. Hopefully he goes better as a forward but I still see that ruck is his best go given the skill base he has.

There's every chance he'll end up back there. I doubt it's over only eight or nine games in.

But hopefully even if he does still spend most of his time down back, he also gets a run up forward, and a bit of time in the ruck

I'd rather see him in a position where he has to go after the footy. Let him worry about getting a few kicks and not be pre-occupied with what his opponent is doing.

He'll learn more by being in the action that he will playing deep defence like Hunt has been doing. Put him into the ruck and let him follow the ball, sure he'll probably get caught a few times but he'll also get a better feel for the game by being around the contest. I just feel that with less than 12 months to go before the start of next season, eveny game he plays deep in defence with limited opportunities is a bit of a waste. Playing him more often in the forward line would also help.

I'd rather see him in a position where he has to go after the footy. Let him worry about getting a few kicks and not be pre-occupied with what his opponent is doing.

He'll learn more by being in the action that he will playing deep defence like Hunt has been doing. Put him into the ruck and let him follow the ball, sure he'll probably get caught a few times but he'll also get a better feel for the game by being around the contest. I just feel that with less than 12 months to go before the start of next season, eveny game he plays deep in defence with limited opportunities is a bit of a waste. Playing him more often in the forward line would also help.

You've summed up my thoughts perfectly :)

Sheedy said he will give him some more time up forward, so it will be good to see how he goes :)

It would be great if GWS recorded the matches and uploaded the game or at least highlights to the website, it would be a shame to go through the whole year and not have seen the boys play at all.

Worth checking out Foxtel channel 518 this Friday at 6.30pm for the QAFL show, which features highlights from one of the games. Fingers crossed it might be this one.

Worth checking out Foxtel channel 518 this Friday at 6.30pm for the QAFL show, which features highlights from one of the games. Fingers crossed it might be this one.

Desie, its on 5.30pm Main Event here in Qld, followed by NSW AFL at 6.30 then AFL Friday night at 7.30.
The episode usually features a whole quarter of one designated match, but from memory its not Lions v Giants.
They do have highlights from other games tho.
The Suns home site streamed games last year, so why can't the Giants site do the same?

Desie, its on 5.30pm Main Event here in Qld, followed by NSW AFL at 6.30 then AFL Friday night at 7.30.
The episode usually features a whole quarter of one designated match, but from memory its not Lions v Giants.
They do have highlights from other games tho.
The Suns home site streamed games last year, so why can't the Giants site do the same?

You're right, sorry about that, was probably thinking of one of those weeks where the Friday night AFL match is not in Melbourne and has a later start.

Saw the Lions v Suns on recently, so thought this one may have been a chance, not to worry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back