Religion Folau

Sainteric

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
So RA were not reactive, not sure why you would even say that. If Issy had been repsonsible he could have held his beliefs and played rugby.
RA had their hand forced by Issy, a year after they first spoke to him about this. RA were extremely patient and tolerant of this intolerant person.
Have you seen Raylene Castles comments about the Bible's/Christians? Tolerant is not exactly a word I would used.

As far as I can tell there was no process and it's even doubtful they spoke to him 12 months ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whatever happens here, RA will have learned from this and James O'Connor's new contract is going to be one of the most scrutinised documents in it's history. That said you usually have to add booze for him to behave like a dick, Issy manages to do it sober. He's got the best arse in world rugby too so it will be a welcome return.

Herne Hill Hammer

Premium Platinum
Jun 22, 2008
Cowes
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think that's true. Islam in particular, has taken a real beating the last few years and we don't see the more extreme rhetoric as much as we used to.
Are we not seeing it as it's no longer there or are authorities just refining their response over the years as they become more experienced and it's not allowed to fester for as long as it once was?

Basically nipping things in the bud.

Herne Hill Hammer

Premium Platinum
Jun 22, 2008
Cowes
AFL Club
Geelong
How's it discrimination when he signed a contract that he wouldn't be a homophobe and attack gay people. Filou is a pathetic pawn in the game backed by hypocritic bigots like Alan Jones who was arrested for an indecent act in a public toilet.
"On 6 December 1988, Jones was arrested in an underground public toilet on Broadwick Street in the Soho area of London. He was taken to the Mayfair police station and charged with 'outraging public decency' and 'committing an indecent act'. "
So how can Alan Jones pontificate when according to Filou, he is going to hell.I mean the hypocrisy is startling.
Maybe Jones is a bit smarter than you and sees the broader picture. Your problem is that you think it's straight out homophobic, bigotry and therefore can't understand why gay people may be sticking up for Folau's side. It's a lot more than that.

Folau may have signed a contract but maybe the contract was illegal to begin with if it impinged on his religious freedoms. We're going to find out.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe Jones is a bit smarter than you and sees the broader picture. Your problem is that you think it's straight out homophobic, bigotry and therefore can't understand why gay people may be sticking up for Folau's side. It's a lot more than that.

Folau may have signed a contract but maybe the contract was illegal to begin with if it impinged on his religious freedoms. We're going to find out.
Lol, you need to listen to Tim Costello my christian friend, a bigot is a bigot ,a homophobe is a homophobe and an ex-drunken womeniser is a hypocrite. Everyone knows that Filou and his wife are the two biggest jerks in Australia.

Herne Hill Hammer

Premium Platinum
Jun 22, 2008
Cowes
AFL Club
Geelong
Mate, get real. There must be at least 50-60 English translations of the Bible, all of them translated by people infinitely more qualified to translate Koine' Greek into English than either you or I. You, in response to my criticism of you referring to Jesus as approving of slavery (when I pointed out the difference between the word servant and slave) come back with one of the only English translations that translate doulos as slave. ALL THE REST (bar one or two exceptions) translate it as servant. I think that casts enough doubt for you to not refer to Jesus as approving of slavery thanks.

(1) Who do you think I am telling me what to do? Your slave?

(2) I don't go to church. It's too corrupt.
You had a crack at Evolved earlier for taking 41 mins to respond to you then you take 80 mins to respond to Evolved yourself. :think:

Herne Hill Hammer

Premium Platinum
Jun 22, 2008
Cowes
AFL Club
Geelong
Lol, you need to listen to Tim Costello my christian friend, a bigot is a bigot ,a homophobe is a homophobe and an ex-drunken womeniser is a hypocrite. Everyone knows that Filou and his wife are the two biggest jerks in Australia.
Sorry to disappoint you, I'm not religious, never have been and never will be.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
You had a crack at Evolved earlier for taking 41 mins to respond to you then you take 80 mins to respond to Evolved yourself. :think:
They're homophobic jerks mate. There's no place for it in this modern world.What would you do if you had a gay family member? Would you tell them they are going to burn in hell? Good luck with that.

Crankitup

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
Yes sorry, I was distracted debating Geepong supporters on my thread in the Bay. Timestamps will confirm. Anyway, of course, you're right I'm a stinkin', dirty hypocrite. Then again ..... technically I didn't have a crack or criticise the timeframe, I just said 'I was wondering why ...'.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boston tiger

Premiership Player
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
Why would that even pop into your head?
Follow it back ..I was talking about protecting vulnerable groups . Someone said that’s fine unless you are Falou... no idea what he was on about .. so maybe the person was talking about Falou’s ethnicity.??

Still don’t know what he was on about but Snakey is pretty unstable at best of times so I let it go.

shellyg

Spec Moderator
Dec 27, 2016
No Surrender
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What would people on this thread say if they thought Hizb ut-Tahrir had allied with the Australian Christian Lobby in the drive for even more protections for religious freedom?

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
How to be a hypocrite 101

Israel Folau has opened up about the battles he faced as a professional footballer.

The Wallabies fullback revealed he drank and partied to excess in his time in the NRL, particularly after moving from the Melbourne Storm to the Brisbane Broncos in 2009.

The 27-year-old admitted his ego got the better of him when he was a young rugby league star earning praise from all corners.

"I got caught up in all the party things and I guess I'd say my head was above the clouds.
"I just thought that I was untouchable.

"It got a lot worse when I moved back to Brisbane and played for the Broncos."

"It got really bad," Folau said. "I just got caught up in the alcohol, women and all that sort of stuff.

Herne Hill Hammer

Premium Platinum
Jun 22, 2008
Cowes
AFL Club
Geelong
This is what I don't understand. They already have special rights to discriminate, WTF else do they want? How much more protection does it need?

Religion of all stripes has got in behind the ACL, scratch around you'll find it.
So really nothing is what you're saying? It's not about who is siding with who, you put up a hypothetical about groups supporting more religious freedoms, what sort of extra freedoms do you envisage? You must have something in mind or else you wouldn't have posted it up.

Opine

Premium Gold
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
You're looking at these discussion points through the angle of an apologist using pro-Christian rhetoric. I can argue that the strongest proponents of Western slavery were Christians, and they were completely justified taking that stance since their source material for ethics is the bible; refer Exodus 21:20-21, Exodus 21:2-6, Leviticus 25:44-46, Numbers 31:17-18 (sex slavery), Deuteronomy 20:10-14.

In the new testament, Jesus gave tacit support to slavery (Mt 18:23-25), and other NT writers urged slaves to serve their masters wholeheartedly (Ephesians 6:5-8, Colossians 3:22-24, 1Timothy 6:1-2, etc).

The Enlightenment and removing the yoke of Christianity led to the freedoms we have today. The fact that many Christians like Galileo and Mendel were responsible for great scientific discoveries is a moot point when it comes to arguing a link between xianity and science. In that time, Christianity was far more prominent in society than it is now, so naturally a large proportion of great minds were Christian. The church fought the advancement of science, and continues to do so, whenever it is in opposition to theological positions and values. How was Galileo treated by the church, for example?

Christian groups still seek to wield power and exert undue influence whenever possible. Look at the opposition to euthanasia, womens reproductive rights, gay marriage...every step of the way, the church is the largest obstacle in Western society to advancement in modern freedoms. In the US, 'God' is still infecting their money and their pledge of allegiance.
Undue influence? ummm ok.

shellyg

Spec Moderator
Dec 27, 2016
No Surrender
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So really nothing is what you're saying? It's not about who is siding with who, you put up a hypothetical about groups supporting more religious freedoms, what sort of extra freedoms do you envisage? You must have something in mind or else you wouldn't have posted it up.
Isn't this thread about Rugby Australia and their right to breach Folau for religious bigotry and discrimination? I wouldn't like to see that taken away particularly from a sporting organisation.

Top Bottom