Religion Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

Some churches have homophobic doctrine, yes. So what?

Hiding behind faith to vilify minority groups isn't something that society should tolerate, and that behaviour should be tolerated even less in the workplace.

Sacking Folau was the right decision.

Ah * off, tonight's not the night. He called on all sinners to repent. Get over it.

And you want to know the main reason for Labor losing the election? It's **** like this taking over our institutions.

Cricket bosses call on clubs to boot long serving volunteers who are past ‘best before’ date

As a long-serving cricket club committee member, I've a good mind to waltz into Jolimont and punch some campaigner in the mouth.
Are you on an outrage bender this evening?

I'm sure you'll find more fuel for your rage if you frequently read 'news' in the Hun.

Margaret Court isn't a Catholic. She's pastor of an extremist 'American-style' fundamentalist church in WA that teaches a literal biblical interpretation including prosperity gospel, miraculous healings, anti-science, homophobia, Zionism, and the like.

Great sportswoman, but **** person with disgusting beliefs. That's one way to ruin your reputation.

When Margaret was playing, she was a catholic.

After she finished her career, she was known for her “speaking in tongues”. This is when she headed to the fundamentalist side of things.

Why do these rich happy clappers always forget about the rich man camel eye of needle stuff? It’s always about gays.

Jesus was the first cultural Marxist.

No.

https://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/2006/3/7/pj-orourke-on-the-tenth-commandment/

The Bible might seem to be a strange place to be doing economic research, but I have been thinking, from a political economy point of view, about the Tenth Commandment. Now the first nine commandments concern theological principles--thou shall not steal and kill and so forth. Fair enough. Then there's the Tenth Commandment: "Thou shall not covet they neighbor's wife. Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's house, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbor's." I mean, here are God's basic rules for how we should live, a very brief list of sacred obligations and solemn moral precepts, and right at the end of it is: "Don't envy your buddy his cow." What is that doing there? Why would God, with just 10 things to tell Moses, choose jealousy about the stuff the guy next door has? Well, think about how important to the well-being of a community that commandment actually is. What that commandment says is that if you want a donkey, if you want a pot roast, if you want a cleaning lady, don't bitch about it, go get your own!

Sacked for political correctness, pull the other one.

Refused to abide by contract conditions, that he agreed to and signed.

Agree and abide - get to play + dollars.

Don't agree - thanks but we don't require your services.

No one ever stopped him being a devout Christian, they just advised him to abide by the team harmony motto.
He didn't sign anything in his contract or a social media policy at all that directly restricted him preaching. He was very simplistically sacked for bringing the game onto disrepute

So Folau looks like he is going to fair work rather than the supreme Court. The differences are that the supreme Court would have been mainly a contractual dispute, NSW discrimination laws are only one of two states that does not protect religious freedoms, is expensive and would take a while.

Fair work is federal, has many examples of social media policies, religious discrimination, reasonable quick, inexpensive and morally would hurt RA more than a 4m contract dispute.

He didn't sign anything in his contract or a social media policy at all that directly restricted him preaching. He was very simplistically sacked for bringing the game onto disrepute
A three person panel found that he committed a high level breach of the Rugby Australia Code of Conduct. After reading through the code of conduct for myself, I believe it was a clear cut and logical judgment.

You can download the code of conduct here: RU code of conduct

I can find several clauses that Folau could objectively be accused of violating.

1.3 Treat everyone equally, fairly and with dignity regardless of gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, cultural or religious background, age or disability. Any form of bullying, harassment or discrimination has no place in Rugby

1.6 Do not make any public comment that is critical of the performance of a match official, player, team official, coach or employee/officer/volunteer of any club or a Union; or on any matter that is, or is likely to be, the subject of an investigation or disciplinary process; or otherwise make any public comment that would likely be detrimental to the best interests, image and welfare of the Game, a team, a club, a competition or Union.

1.7 Use Social Media appropriately. By all means share your positive experiences of Rugby but do not use Social Media as a means to breach any of the expectations and requirements of you as a player contained in this Code or in any Union, club or competition rules and regulations.

1.8 Do not otherwise act in a way that may adversely affect or reflect on, or bring you, your team, club, Rugby Body or Rugby into disrepute or discredit. If you commit a criminal offence, this is likely to adversely reflect on you and your team, club, Rugby Body and Rugby.

A three person panel found that he committed a high level breach of the Rugby Australia Code of Conduct. After reading through the code of conduct for myself, I believe it was a clear cut and logical judgment.

I can find several clauses that Folau could objectively be accused of violating.

1.3 Treat everyone equally, fairly and with dignity regardless of gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, cultural or religious background, age or disability. Any form of bullying, harassment or discrimination has no place in Rugby

1.6 Do not make any public comment that is critical of the performance of a match official, player, team official, coach or employee/officer/volunteer of any club or a Union; or on any matter that is, or is likely to be, the subject of an investigation or disciplinary process; or otherwise make any public comment that would likely be detrimental to the best interests, image and welfare of the Game, a team, a club, a competition or Union.

1.7 Use Social Media appropriately. By all means share your positive experiences of Rugby but do not use Social Media as a means to breach any of the expectations and requirements of you as a player contained in this Code or in any Union, club or competition rules and regulations.

1.8 Do not otherwise act in a way that may adversely affect or reflect on, or bring you, your team, club, Rugby Body or Rugby into disrepute or discredit. If you commit a criminal offence, this is likely to adversely reflect on you and your team, club, Rugby Body and Rugby.

Pretty clear cut.

Correction, three person INDEPENDANT panel!:)

I would argue he breeches none of them, 1.3 is the only one that may come into it, but he quoted from the Bible and that in theory would make 1.3 unenforceable with this situation

Whilst his views are appalling he has a good case not to be sacked under current workplace and discrimination laws. Generally speaking a code of conduct can only be enforceable in the actions of performing your role, or bringing your employer in to a situation through mentioning them, sending a personal email on their system etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would argue he breeches none of them, 1.3 is the only one that may come into it, but he quoted from the Bible and that in theory would make 1.3 unenforceable with this situation

Whilst his views are appalling he has a good case not to be sacked under current workplace and discrimination laws. Generally speaking a code of conduct can only be enforceable in the actions of performing your role, or bringing your employer in to a situation through mentioning them, sending a personal email on their system etc.
"1.3 Treat everyone equally, fairly and with dignity regardless of gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, cultural or religious background, age or disability. Any form of bullying, harassment or discrimination has no place in Rugby "

Have you seen and read his contract?
No but firstly it does not have a social media policy and it can't discriminate him on religious grounds, (Federal not necessarily NSW). It's really a bit irrelevant what's in it, it has to be enforceable. That's why he has said he will go to fairwork and not the supreme Court which would have been more about the contract. I would say RA is negotiating with him now as they know they are on shakey ground

No but firstly it does not have a social media policy and it can't discriminate him on religious grounds, (Federal not necessarily NSW). It's really a bit irrelevant what's in it, it has to be enforceable. That's why he has said he will go to fairwork and not the supreme Court which would have been more about the contract. I would say RA is negotiating with him now as they know they are on shakey ground
He's only in it for the money now.

"1.3 Treat everyone equally, fairly and with dignity regardless of gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, cultural or religious background, age or disability. Any form of bullying, harassment or discrimination has no place in Rugby "
So you agree he is being treated unfairly for his religious background, or this can only be enforce when representing rugby NSW/Aus? Both are probably true.

He's only in it for the money now.
More money on the supreme Court, fairwork and the federal court if RA appeal will not get anywhere what is left on his contract.

He want to embarrass RA and play the martr for the faith.

He only has 28 days to lodge at fairwork iirc, I'd say he is negotiating a settlement ATM.

So how do you know

So you agree he is being treated unfairly for his religious background, or this can only be enforce when representing rugby NSW/Aus? Both are probably true.
"1.7 Use Social Media appropriately. By all means share your positive experiences of Rugby but do not use Social Media as a means to breach any of the expectations and requirements of you as a player contained in this Code or in any Union, club or competition rules and regulations. "

Stuff Folau, he's a bigot.

"1.7 Use Social Media appropriately. By all means share your positive experiences of Rugby but do not use Social Media as a means to breach any of the expectations and requirements of you as a player contained in this Code or in any Union, club or competition rules and regulations. "

Stuff Folau, he's a bigot.

They will struggle with that if it's Folau the religious guy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back