Religion Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

But his beliefs are bigoted and disgusting.

Had he kept his light under a bushel he’d be fine.

Now we’re all looking at him like the idiot he is and... he spent how much to say he hates the gays?
So you disagree with his religion. So do I. How do we stop relgion in a world where most liberals want religious tolerance?

Yep I sign contracts on a regular basis and they almost 100% have a no-media comment clause, or a no-adverse exposure/comment clause that prohibits me from undertaking in any activity, including commenting on social media, that is likely to have an adverse or negative affect on the principal.

I sign these contracts in the full knowledge of what this means, Folau knew, if he didn't agree to this term, then he should have negotiated this out of his contract. Now he breached the terms of his contract and the RWNJ and yelling religious oppression!

The irony of this is, the same people who are now yelling about Folau being unfairly dismissed, are the same RWNJ who claimed that unfair dismissal laws are unfair to employers, and employers should be able to terminate employees for any reason.
You are giving far too much power to corporations. Just because you signed away your social media freedom doesnt mean we all should have to.

Folau is a rugby player who faces close to a monopoly in terms of a employer. He cant go and play elite rugby union for another australian employer. He has no power in any negotiation. He had no choice to sign the contract in front of him no matter how much he disagreed with the media terms.

So you disagree with his religion. So do I. How do we stop relgion in a world where most liberals want religious tolerance?
Don't be tolerant of intolerance.

The law of the land prevails over religious rules and bigotries.

You are giving far too much power to corporations. Just because you signed away your social media freedom doesnt mean we all should have to.

Folau is a rugby player who faces close to a monopoly in terms of a employer. He cant go and play elite rugby union for another australian employer. He has no power in any negotiation. He had no choice to sign the contract in front of him no matter how much he disagreed with the media terms.
Tell it to the federal court:
The legal consequences of Mr Hird and the 34 Players voluntarily entering into the contractual regime with Essendon and the AFL, and subjecting themselves to the Player Rules and AFL Code, included undertaking certain obligations and relinquishing certain rights

38.4% of Australians voted against gay marriage equality. How many of those who voted 'no' did so because they were pushing their religious 'values' down the throats of others?
I dont have a link on me sorry but there was a survey done a couple years ago which showed that support for same sex marriage from Christians was almost exactly the same as Australia as a whole. People here think Australian Christians are like their American counterparts, happy clappy, say grace before dinner and go to church every Wednesday and Sunday, etc, when in fact they are almost polar opposite. Its just because sick stupid fundie pricks like Folau, Lyle and Scomo are in the news all the time which makes us think they are all the same.

You'd give an ounce of respect to those defending "Izzie" if they would do the same if the speaker was of a different religious persuasion...

But we all know they wouldn't.

I dont have a link on me sorry but there was a survey done a couple years ago which showed that support for same sex marriage from Christians was almost exactly the same as Australia as a whole. People here think Australian Christians are like their American counterparts, happy clappy, say grace before dinner and go to church every Wednesday and Sunday, etc, when in fact they are almost polar opposite. Its just because sick stupid fundie pricks like Folau, Lyle and Scomo are in the news all the time which makes us think they are all the same.
Look at high profile sky pilots in Australia, Scummo, Dutton, Twiggy, Bernardi, Issy, Barnaby f***ing Joyce each one of them if faced with choice between god and mammon would choose mammon every day of the week. These are not people of genuine faith, they just hide behind it's skirt by way of justiying their own prejudices.

Love the "out of context" bulls**t from Christians

Maybe the Christians have been taking the bible outta context this entire time and their god loves gays? Problem solved
There are so many batshit crazy stories in the old testament it's incredible people would rely on it for life advice.

God sounds a little unhinged too - murdering almost every man, woman, child and animal on the planet at one point, completely destroying two towns at another point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are so many bats**t crazy stories in the old testament it's incredible people would rely on it for life advice.

God sounds a little unhinged too - murdering almost every man, woman, child and animal on the planet at one point, completely destroying two towns at another point.

It's the intended target audience, since the book is batshit insane, incoherent and contradictory, it will also draw a crowd with a fair share of batshit insane, incoherent and contradictory people

Kinda like people who listen to Bieber music, you know those aren't intellectual giants

Many a true word spoken...........

R3cXF6l.jpg

Apologies, I didn't mean to broadly brush over all your points.
Could you please explain this point?
Atheism is the lack of belief in deities, not a belief system or ideology. Suggesting otherwise is the same as claiming that a disbelief in Bigfoot is a belief system and ideology, when clearly it isn't.

This Galaxy poll?

The same poll found that 57% of Australians identify as Christian. There's no way that 57% of Aussies are devoted Christians, so it's fair to assume a large number of those who identified as Christian just picked their 'birth religion'.

I'd like to see the data controlled for level of religiosity to give a more accurate picture.

This Galaxy poll?

The same poll found that 57% of Australians identify as Christian. There's no way that 57% of Aussies are devoted Christians, so it's fair to assume a large number of those who identified as Christian just picked their 'birth religion'.

I'd like to see the data controlled for level of religiosity to give a more accurate picture.
If the census was worded "do you believe in God or a higher power?" we'd get a more accurate representation. I agree, there are several people who identify as Catholic for example but dont believe in God, my dad is an example.

This Galaxy poll?

The question is purposefully broad to boost numbers. There are many people who haven't associate themselves with any church or act religious or spiritual in any way, but tick themselves off as Christians because they were baptized as a kid

A more accurate representation would be that the figures show 11% go to a church at least once per month, and 7% go there almost weekly. Church going Christians are a much much smaller minority than they want you to believe

Look at high profile sky pilots in Australia, Scummo, Dutton, Twiggy, Bernardi, Issy, Barnaby f***ing Joyce each one of them if faced with choice between god and mammon would choose mammon every day of the week.

Sky pilots. Amusing. ALP once again using armed forces to crush a strike

NB It's not like Eddie Obeid was an altar boy.

A more accurate representation would be that the figures show 11% go to a church at least once per month, and 7% go there almost weekly. Church going Christians are a much much smaller minority than they want you to believe
Because going to church makes you an authentic Christian? I grew up knowing a disproportionate amount of Christians due to going to a Christian school and a fair few of my extended family being so, this is a new gen of religion where Sundays are spent with your loved ones, and marriages and religious ceremonies are performed on the banks of rivers instead of in old shitty buildings. Where the Bible is used as a guide and no the be all end all. Where my Christian mates have premarital sex and treat everyone (mostly) equal (I unfortunately do know a couple who are bigots) etc.

Atheism is the lack of belief in deities, not a belief system or ideology. Suggesting otherwise is the same as claiming that a disbelief in Bigfoot is a belief system and ideology, when clearly it isn't.

Thanks, your response provides an opportunity to once again touch on an important point.

While you might be technically correct, as previously mentioned, for the purposes of establishing the scope of the right to hold and express a religious belief, the UN Human Rights Committee has adopted a broad approach to the term “religion;” it has said that ‘religion’ should be interpreted broadly to include ‘theistic, non-theistic and atheistic beliefs, as well as the right not to profess any religion or belief. It’s clear that atheism has been intentionally treated as a religious belief, otherwise the UNHRC would not have made additional express reference to “the right not to profess any religion or belief;” you can see this for yourself in UN Human Rights Committee, General Comment 22, Article 18 (Forty-eighth session, 1993), UN Doc. CCPR/C/21/Rev.1/Add.4 (1993).

if you prefer the above explanation in the context of an Australian jurisdiction look here http://humanrights.vgso.vic.gov.au/...reedom-thought-conscience-religion-and-belief. The report referred to earlier, to which you initially responded, adopts the same approach; treating atheism as a religion.

Why is this important?; because in light of the broad scope of the term “religion,” limiting the right to express a theistic belief will logically result in limiting the right to express a non-theistic and or an atheistic belief. Add to this the many forms by which those beliefs/non beliefs can be expressed and we arguably end up with censorship of art, music, written, electronic, etc etc etc etc.

Interesting employment issue at the CSIRO over a request from Adani - to what level of comment is a CSIRO scientist entitled, is every employee of the CSIRO covered by the same employee terms, do the conditions of employment have the same level as as RA seek to blind Folau to .....

Another opportunity for the carpetbaggers on either side of the Adani debate to parade their credentials?
Not meaning to derail the Folau issue, another thread?

See this Christian family who argued paying taxes was against God's will and had to pay $2.3 million? And here is what Justice holt said.

"I believe the submissions to be honestly and genuinely held beliefs rather than an attempt to avoid tax liabilities.

"But in my view, the Bible effectively said that civil matters and the law of God operate in two different spheres."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back