Religion Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

But nobody stopped him from posting his lunacy for all the world to see.

Were I to find myself in need of any defence from you, I'd take advantage of the newly minted euthanasia laws.
Gee I hope not, i don't think they take repeat applications🙄

That depends I suppose.
Is a loony (your words) like you, capable of engaging with a in discussion with a loony (your words) with a poster like skilts?
Only you know the answer to that, so why ask us loonies?
To demonstrate that lack of tolerance toward people, rather than issues, leads to a break down in the discourse of those issue/s. Then inviting him to re-engage in discussion on the basis that we can all be, to use his expression,"loonies" in the eyes of another/s.

He lost his job because of it, you wouldn't

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Ahh, I see, using a non believers profound quote as your own now are we?
He lost his job because he’s an idiot, that needs to be curtailed for the good of all society, not because of what he believes, but because it is a delusional outdated form of hate incitement against a part of our community that only finds its way into our vernacular because of the abramamic tradition.

I’d like to challenge you on your belief?

To demonstrate that lack of tolerance toward people, rather than issues, leads to a break down in the discourse of those issue/s. Then inviting him to re-engage in discussion on the basis that we can all be, to use his expression,"loonies" in the eyes of another/s.
Just as I expected Opine, words elude you mate.
If you have anything to give to this conversation, now is the appropriate time?

Ahh, I see, using a non believers profound quote as your own now are we?
He lost his job because he’s an idiot, that needs to be curtailed for the good of all society, not because of what he believes, but because it is a delusional outdated form of hate incitement against a part of our community that only finds its way into our vernacular because of the abramamic tradition.

I’d like to challenge you on your belief?
In your opinion,

I don't discriminate against people because they believe in stupidity that would be 80% of the population. I also try not to descriminate against religious nutters. Voltaire absolutely believed in a supreme being, just not the catholic church , like the Folau clan. The person who I quoted was the daughter of a Canon of St Paul's .

Lol
* me....
Voltaire, really?
To defend your position?
“Whom I quoted”.
Really, the Canon of what exactly, according to “whom”?
In your opinion,

I don't discriminate against people because they believe in stupidity that would be 80% of the population. I also try not to descriminate against religious nutters. Voltaire absolutely believed in a supreme being, just not the catholic church , like the Folau clan. The person who I quoted was the daughter of a Canon of St Paul's .
So you don’t really know, nor understand what you actually believe?
Cool, got it!đź‘Ť
80%: of what, believe what?, prove it!
“Discriminate” learn your native tongue or I’m done with your obvious inferior intellect.
I really don’t give one flying * what Voltaire imagined, I want to know what you believe.
The Catholic Church is a capitalist paedophile organisation, no more no less, their wealth could clear childhood poverty for several years, Yeshua would want it that way, The Pope chooses to not do as Yeshua would have wanted.
The Folau family are a lineage my partner has some blame involved unfortunately.
Her grandad was a missionary in the Folaus islands history and is partially responsible for their beliefs.
I don’t care about whom you quote unless you can historically or archaeologically prove it.
What else ya got mate?

Just as I expected Opine, words elude you mate.
If you have anything to give to this conversation, now is the appropriate time?
What do you really want CC?
Are you wanting me to engage you on the validity, or otherwise, of theistic belief? If so, there is another thread specifically dedicated to that.

I'm unconvinced they're not the same from a free speech perspective (switch religion for code) but looking forward to seeing how the saga with RA is resolved.

Australian Catholic University vice-chancellor Greg Craven said the Folau cases were “quite different”.

“If you’re a person employed at a Catholic school and in contact with students, one of the objects of providing such an education is to be consistent with the religion,” Professor Craven said. “It is impossible to do this if you are telling students everything they are taught is complete rubbish — it’s about mission alignment.”

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Most people know it as Voltaire which reminds me of the time one of my kids was suspended from high school for "exercising her right to free speech!" as if there should be no consequence. It was her second "big mouth" suspension and my fight with the principal not to expel her was almost exhausted I so I sent her away to her grandparents on the farm for two weeks of quiet time and general labor helping out. No TV, just a big library of books a piano and classical music.

She came back with Voltaire and drove me nuts with that line. But she gets it now she's earning six figures and understands the social media clause in her contract.

She came back with Voltaire and drove me nuts with that line.
Which is not actually something Voltaire ever wrote or said.

As an aside we currently have a case where Danny Lim was arrested and is in court over carrying signs. That's far more serious than someone losing their job. Haven't heard much from the zealots in the quest for free speech which is interesting. :think:

As an aside we currently have a case where Danny Lim was arrested and is in court over carrying signs. That's far more serious than someone losing their job. Haven't heard much from the zealots in the quest for free speech which is interesting. :think:

She had a book, she quoted it but I didn't go through it to check accuracy or even if it was in English ok? And I still don't care to hunt the thing down. :p

I think the high court's decision is very interesting today. A public servant, taking government coin criticised the government anonymously and continuously on twitter. She was found out and sacked. What she did was against the public service act which is pretty specific on this. She screamed free speech and won till she got to the high court. I won't go in detail but the high court said it was reasonable to sack her because her employer made repeated and concerted efforts to rectify it, the Public Service act trumps many freedoms and directly criticising her employers was constant and ongoing.

RA are screwed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most people know it as Voltaire which reminds me of the time one of my kids was suspended from high school for "exercising her right to free speech!" as if there should be no consequence. It was her second "big mouth" suspension and my fight with the principal not to expel her was almost exhausted I so I sent her away to her grandparents on the farm for two weeks of quiet time and general labor helping out. No TV, just a big library of books a piano and classical music.

She came back with Voltaire and drove me nuts with that line. But she gets it now she's earning six figures and understands the social media clause in her contract.
I still don't think she does

Interesting take by a prominent legal mind.

Josh Borstein:

One of the striking features of the culture war that erupted after Folau took to Facebook to condemn many of us to hell is the repeated appeals to the sanctity of the employment contract.

Progressives who prioritise human rights over commercial contracts have, in many cases, done an about-face. "But he breached his contract!" they chorus.

Conservatives, who cheer on the sacking of employees who express views they disapprove of, have a new-found respect for freedom of expression and anti-discrimination legislation.

I still don't think she does

She's adulting. Not only can she comprehend her employment contract, she understands pointy opinions that may tend to undermine or damage an employer's brand can also have a detrimental affect on everybody else that works there.

She's adulting. Not only can she comprehend her employment contract, she understands pointy opinions that may tend to undermine or damage an employer's brand can also have a detrimental affect on everybody else that works there.
Perhaps it's a pity that she has. I think the notion that adulting need/should, by default, amount to the surrender of an employee's own personal brand, in favour of that of her employer's, is symbolic of the not so distant employer/employee master and servant relationship. Australia has thus far resisted, but in the UK the implied right of mutual trust and confidence has been found to exist in various employer/employee cases. Hopefully, in the not to distant future, adulting will give way to more progressive thinking.

Last edited:

A $500 fine isn't that serious is it? I'd rather that than to lose my job.

Not that I agree with the fine mind you.

ABC Article said:
But the court heard the arrest was triggered by a single complaint from a woman who was walking to work at Barangaroo and called a nearby police station.

When asked how offended she was, she replied: "As a woman, I found this word highly offensive."

Pfft, harden the * up cvn't!

A $500 fine isn't that serious is it? I'd rather that than to lose my job.

Not that I agree with the fine mind you.

Pfft, harden the fu** up cvn't!

An interesting part of that article was the language the police were using to Mr Lim and to other people in the street who criticised them.

Perhaps it's a pity that she has. I think the notion that adulting need/should, by default, amount to the surrender of an employee's own personal brand, in favour of that of her employer's, is symbolic of the not so distant employer/employee master and servant relationship. Australia has thus far resisted, but in the UK the implied right of mutual trust and confidence has been found to exist in various employer/employee cases. Hopefully, in the not to distant future, adulting will give way to more progressive thinking.

How did you get to the idea she doesn't have her own brand or her own opinion on the information you have? It's hilarious in consideration of what she does when she isn't at her full time government job which includes guest radio that has nothing to do with her 'day job'.

If she wanted to take a whistleblower status in relation to her job, she'd have my full support but until then I'm impressed she's found self discipline and has my full support in conducting herself within the terms of her employment contract.

Are you sure you're a lawyer? :huh:

How did you get to the idea she doesn't have her own brand or her own opinion on the information you have? It's hilarious in consideration of what she does when she isn't at her full time government job which includes guest radio that has nothing to do with her 'day job'.

If she wanted to take a whistleblower status in relation to her job, she'd have my full support but until then I'm impressed she's found self discipline and has my full support in conducting herself within the terms of her employment contract.

Are you sure you're a lawyer? :huh:
The point in my post clearly went over your head. It was meant as a compliment to your daughter and her generation, at the expense of your, and perhaps my, generation. Delve a little deeper into the possible implications of that emerging implied right I mentioned above and you might understand what I was saying. Perhaps my mistake is assuming that you have studied law. We are after all, just footy fans on a footy site; no more and no less.

The point in my post clearly went over your head. It was meant as a compliment to your daughter and her generation, at the expense of your, and perhaps my, generation. Delve a little deeper into the possible implications of that emerging implied right I mentioned above and you might understand what I was saying. Perhaps my mistake is assuming that you have studied law. We are after all, just footy fans on a footy site; no more and no less.

Nah, I don't think so although we might be on a slightly different plane and I can respect that if tending to prefer plain speak being of the mind that if a person can't explain simply, they generally may not understand well enough.

I've never claimed to be a lawyer but I have enough study and experience to understand when anybody talks about 'implied' anything be it freedom of speech or mutual trust and confidence, it's abstract. We have to live in realities.

Nah, I don't think so although we might be on a slightly different plane and I can respect that if tending to prefer plain speak being of the mind that if a person can't explain simply, they generally may not understand well enough.

I've never claimed to be a lawyer but I have enough study and experience to understand when anybody talks about 'implied' anything be it freedom of speech or mutual trust and confidence, it's abstract. We have to live in realities.
Shall I explain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back