Folklore: stories you're not sure about

Remove this Banner Ad

Have heard this from Graham Cornes I think but reckon he put some mayo on it.

In the early days when the original Crows line up was being put together, he sent inaugural captain Chris McDermott and another to Victoria with the Crows credit card with instructions to take Stephen Kernahan out to lunch, get him slaughtered and make sure he signs a contract to be part of the inaugural Crows line up.

The lunch happened. Drinks followed. McDermott and his traveling mate passed out and Sticks and his Carlton mates enjoyed the rest of the night drinking courtesy of the Adelaide Football Club.

Last edited:

In the 80's Dermie fell off the bed while having vigorous relations and did some damage to his equipment?

Ding Dong. Older posters will know who I'm referring to.

An unrelated story, Dermie played with broken ribs, kicked 11, wearing a protective vest said to contain blown up condoms for padding?

True.

Is there real tensions between Dermie and Dunstall, or do they just enjoy mocking each other?

Definitely the latter

In the 80's Dermie fell off the bed while having vigorous relations and did some damage to his equipment?

An unrelated story, Dermie played with broken ribs, kicked 11, wearing a protective vest said to contain blown up condoms for padding?

Is there real tensions between Dermie and Dunstall, or do they just enjoy mocking each other?
denise drysedale

I've seen that footage but I'm not sure when, where or if the 'secret pact' was made.

I think the story goes that Chapman made the pact and Kennett's words are just a coincidence. I think James Kelly has said he has no recollection of such a pact and that perhaps Chapman was the only one in the room at the time (or words to that effect). Chapman never lost to Hawthorn in a Geelong jumper again though and came very close to never losing to them in his two seasons at Essendon either (beat them in 2015 and kicked what looked to be the match sealing goal in 2014, before late goals to Breust and Rioli got the Hawks over the line).

There were a few little ones about how tense Geelong was in the lead-up to the 2007 grand final and that Shannon Byrnes inadvertently lightened the mood after being asked a tactical question in the pre-game debrief and getting it hopelessly wrong. James Kelly also helped by mentioning how hot Natalie Bassingthwaite was looking in the pre-match performances.

It's the wash-up of the 2008 grand final. Geelong, after losing just one game in the H&A season, had marched into the grand final as unbackable favourites. Hawthorn, the 2nd best team all year, had beaten the Cats and claimed the flag. At a time and place unknown (in the rooms straight afterwards? At the post-season review in Kardinia? After Kennett said 'We've beaten Geelong when it matters'? Fill me in, Cats fans) the Geelong players made a pact never to lose to Hawthorn again. They made good on that pact for the next eleven games and five years, including several extremely close games.

Pretty sure Kennett said it on live TV and Chapman was the main instigator of the pact.

There's a few Eagles ones. On an early-90s end of season trip they played the always hilarious 'pull the worst looking girl' competition and one prominent Eagle of the time ended up marrying his.

I like the story of Wow Jones in LA on an exhibition tour going to relieve himself one morning and not realising that he was pissing on one-way glass at a high end restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, the other story of the heavily tattooed Jones was that he picked out some Chinese characters that he liked for a tattoo and after getting them inked on, he went to find out what they meant. It was something like 'beef with black bean sauce'.

I think the story goes that Chapman made the pact and Kennett's words are just a coincidence. I think James Kelly has said he has no recollection of such a pact and that perhaps Chapman was the only one in the room at the time (or words to that effect). Chapman never lost to Hawthorn in a Geelong jumper again though and came very close to never losing to them in his two seasons at Essendon either (beat them in 2015 and kicked what looked to be the match sealing goal in 2014, before late goals to Breust and Rioli got the Hawks over the line).

There were a few little ones about how tense Geelong was in the lead-up to the 2007 grand final and that Shannon Byrnes inadvertently lightened the mood after being asked a tactical question in the pre-game debrief and getting it hopelessly wrong. James Kelly also helped by mentioning how hot Natalie Bassingthwaite was looking in the pre-match performances.

You'd have to be Freddie Mercury to not think she was hot, to be fair

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trent Croad was traded to Freo due to product found in his locker at the club. Hawthorns hard line attitude and Freo's help at the trade table helping to deliver a key part to Hawthorns recent success. Rumoured product pictured below.

upload_2017-9-5_15-19-36.png

This isn't exactly what the thread is 100% about but I might as well post it. I remember the bombers players playing the Aussie cricket team in a friendly match (of cricket) a good 10-12 years ago and winning. I'm really not sure if this really happened or I just made it up (I was born in 96 so I would've been under 10 I'd say). I googled it but nothing came up. I seem to remember seeing it on tv and reading it online but it's definitely possible that my brain invented this for some reason.

This isn't exactly what the thread is 100% about but I might as well post it. I remember the bombers players playing the Aussie cricket team in a friendly match (of cricket) a good 10-12 years ago and winning. I'm really not sure if this really happened or I just made it up (I was born in 96 so I would've been under 10 I'd say). I googled it but nothing came up. I seem to remember seeing it on tv and reading it online but it's definitely possible that my brain invented this for some reason.
I remember this – think James Hird went okay.

Pretty sure it was at Windy Hill and it was because both teams were sponsored by Orange/3 phone company.

Yeah nah.

Someone told me that Shane Woewodin won a brownlow.
Strange, someone told me Jobe Watson won one

1443484030856.jpg

I always enjoyed the story of Mitch Clark farting in Brad Green's face in the rooms before a game, starting a bit of push and shove between them.
Best thing Clark ever did at Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back