Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
The only bad meal I had in Italy was Maccas I was in Catania at 2pm everything else was closed .
The food even in the train station takeaway was outstanding

Anyone with first-hand experience as to how much the drivers get paid?

Going off Reddit it looks like it's approximately a $15 retainer per hour + $2.50 per delivery across the big 4 or so chains.

Just wondering how much (if at all) I should be tipping.

If you order at 5:00 PM should that be enough of a benefit for them as they usually don't have many jobs to do at that hour anyway?

Am I meant to be tipping delivery drivers? Ah crap.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
UberEats was decent to begin with, not too many bad experiences at all. Right now though they seem really s**t, quality has gone down hill. Meals always take 10+ minutes longer than ETA to arrive, most being almost too cold to eat. I now use them only when I'm drunk and have a Maccas craving, as opposed to actually using them for a decent meal.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Will admit have used uber eats for

1-Horrificly drunk to order HSP to house
2-Working 12 hours by myself with no food (2/3 times)

And when i fractured my leg badly about 15 months ago and couldn't drive and had to rely on my parents/Friends picking me up and taking me to the supermarket to buy food for 2 months. If i felt like a burger, thats what i was going to order.

I disagree in general with Uber. It's a venture start up made to price competitors out of the market then will simply raise the price, on the back of under-paying the poor (inb4 capitalism/at least they make something)

I know a few restraunt owners who are happy deliverydoo and ect. came along because Uber was taking the piss with the 25/30% cut, while the volume it generated wasn't exactly making the place better off.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Never use them.

It's just easier to either cook something myself or get what i want

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Never use them.

It's just easier to either cook something myself or get what i want
Me too Im not going to pay someone to deliver me expensive cold crap.
Ive got a pantry and freezer overflowing and the skills to make anything happen..and I like cooking

Dec 23, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The Exers
Don’t use them in oz but when I’m in Jakarta I use them a fair bit.
Cheap as chips for the delivery ($1 or so) and saves a massive amount of time if you were to go to the restaurant yourself as driving 5km in that city can take an hour or so.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Nice overreaction.

I travel a fair bit and have no interest in spending my money on that countries food, prefer to spend that money in other areas to explore and experience the culture.

Trying a country's food is a big part of experiencing their culture though.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Me too Im not going to pay someone to deliver me expensive cold crap.
Ive got a pantry and freezer overflowing and the skills to make anything happen..and I like cooking
I love cooking. If I have nothing...airfryer and frozen food is the best

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don’t use them in oz but when I’m in Jakarta I use them a fair bit.
Cheap as chips for the delivery ($1 or so) and saves a massive amount of time if you were to go to the restaurant yourself as driving 5km in that city can take an hour or so.
When in Cilandak I'd rather taxi it shopping centers. Nothing beats eating out in Jakarta. Best food

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other than when I’ve been drinking and can’t drive or am too hungover to drive the next day I don’t use them.

If I didn’t drive and wasn’t close to transport or shops then yeah I’d get the point. This is what I’ve used UberEats for while in the US.

But everyone I know who uses these delivery apps has a license, isn’t an alcoholic constantly preventing themselves from being right to drive and isn’t so time poor that they can’t afford to make a quick trip to a shop.

Much rather make a trip to the shops, have some interaction with the restaurant workers and get my meal home as quick as possible.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I dont get the attraction. I like my food hot and fresh. Surely after 5/10/20/30 mins after being made and couriered its in a terrible state to be eating?!
In my experience my driver has picked it up as soon as it was ready and got it to me ASAP. There may have been one drunken order where the guy took ages to get it.

I’ve been at restaurants though and seen food sitting there for ages waiting for the driver to come.

Dec 23, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The Exers
When in Cilandak I'd rather taxi it shopping centers. Nothing beats eating out in Jakarta. Best food
Yeah citos is pretty good, but need to be near there working etc to go otherwise it’s still a good 1/2 hour from where I live. A lot of the time I’ll walk down to kemville which is close by, but I’ve found a lot of my favourite joints are at senopati / gunawarman so I just gofood them.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah citos is pretty good, but need to be near there working etc to go otherwise it’s still a good 1/2 hour from where I live. A lot of the time I’ll walk down to kemville which is close by, but I’ve found a lot of my favourite joints are at senopati / gunawarman so I just gofood them.
If you could get me Kailan delivered now...I'd use uber eats. Love that stuff and I cant find it here much

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Go to any decent place and you'll see a lineup of Uber Eats bags waiting to be collected. If you want 20 people who literally haven't washed their hands since sh*tting pawing through every bag to find your order handling your food then by all means, use them. And if you don't think at least 25% of them aren't rifling through your chips for a freebie you are deluded.

0/10 would never use it.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
One of the best parts. And probably the easiest.

But then people go to Bali and eat Western food or go to France and eat Maccas so what can you do?
But western food in Asia is so much cheaper than here so really, you're saving money.

UberEats was decent to begin with, not too many bad experiences at all. Right now though they seem really s**t, quality has gone down hill. Meals always take 10+ minutes longer than ETA to arrive, most being almost too cold to eat. I now use them only when I'm drunk and have a Maccas craving, as opposed to actually using them for a decent meal.
My local fish and chip shop does Uber Eats now.
I was down there waiting for my order and found this out from watching them bag up the order in the Uber Eats bag.

They were really busy, driver walks in with two orders on his list. One is ready, other isn't even in the fryer yet. He sat down and waited for both to be ready, not sure if that was his choice, the shops, or the Apps

Back