Food for thought (or more accurately, food thoughts and inspirations)

Remove this Banner Ad

For anybody wanting to try an easy, but very tasty Indo curry, take a look at this...

Sumba is an absolutely wonderful place that I'd love to visit again, but I probably never will get the chance to return. We spent a few weeks there and on Sumbawa and Flores. Hardly ever ran into other western tourists, other than the few we paired up with for the trip.

The fish curry we had was one of the most tasty things I've ever eaten.

That looks great! That paste would be pretty handy to have in the fridge for a few days, would work in a lot of recipes.

Just an aside, and this may be already known to all in Sunbury, but the best way to hard boil/steam eggs is in a pressure cooker. You can easily get the same actual cooking level of the egg white and yolk in water, but they are the easiest eggs to peel that you will ever encounter. The freshness level doesn't even matter.
I have been completely blown away by this, even though I've been cooking for decades, and am pretty capable.

Back to Nagi for her Biryani

Needs more egg (not that I'm trying to draw attention to my life changing post just above).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now it's off to Indo (with Like Nguyen) for some Murtubak.

I first tried these in Malaysia, then in Thailand and across some of the islands of Indonesia as we made various trips back in the day.

The first ones I tried were sweet, with banana and chocolate sauce. Then we tried the curry filled versions - it changed my life for a while. I was eating three meals a day of these tasty treats.

Easy to make, but you really do need a bit of room. Having said that, the electric sunbeam fry pan will do the job.

And to pay homage to the good old Gene and Dean...

1629199018424.png

Who doesn't love chocolate and cheese?

Well, me actually. This recipe has both. I was unable to convince some Indonesian street hawkers to omit the cheese in some places so I missed out, but when I was able to alter the recipe it was bliss...

A sliced banana instead of the cheese and milk was my variation.

OK OK OK.... Here's your egg with crispy edges.

And a step up from the uni student gormet version posted by Ligma, which is in itself a step up from the coles plain label instant noodles.

And for some reason, Nagi's recipes always come up on my computer - but not complaining. She does some good and easy to follow meals.

And to pay homage to the good old Gene and Dean...

View attachment 1209055

Who doesn't love chocolate and cheese?

Well, me actually. This recipe has both. I was unable to convince some Indonesian street hawkers to omit the cheese in some places so I missed out, but when I was able to alter the recipe it was bliss...

A sliced banana instead of the cheese and milk was my variation.

And if you want to end up covered in a gooey mess, here's how to make it...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back