Food for thought (or more accurately, food thoughts and inspirations)

Burek is elite, it’s made with love and passion, personally I like Turkish more than Balkan.

Pierogi is polish dumplings, main fillings I get is meat and the other one is Ruskie which is meat and cheese.

Y’all are missing out

Yeah, burek is ok…

But sorry, not close to Greek variant
IMG_2597.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

DR Tipple

Team Captain
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Did a slow 6 hour slow cooked 2kg beef brisket(red wine, pasata sauce, bay leaves, salt, pepper, smoked parika, oregano, onions, garlic) today. Around 20 min prep time, not that hard, just need a good quality cut of meat. Put meat in the oven around midday, turning over every 2hours. Last 30 mins took lid off to get that nice colour. Then left it rest for an hour whilst roasting some vegies.
No complaints from anyone. Nothing beats a slow roast on a slow sunday in lockdown town...Plenty leftover so tomorrow will buy some ciabatta rolls, warm meat up and chop up some coleslaw.
if you like slow cooking get a smoker i do brisket at work in a charcoal fired gravity feed smoker 15kg of brisket takes about 20 hours use a blend of hickory and cherry wood for the smoke beef ribs take around 8 hours same smoke blend the brisket gets around 2 to 3 hours of smoke the ribs 1 hour

We didn't get the buttered roll when I was in highschool.

We had the hot cheese roll for $1 with the option of sauce for 20c.

Buy a meat pie and tip the filling into the hot cheese roll and you had a delicious lunch.

The hot cheese rolls were next level though, tasted so different to anything you could make at home, must have been something to do with the pie warmer they were kept in, infused them with meatpie flavour.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sounds like it was the beginning of the end?

TAO making out with Grundy TV groupies on a beanbag at the afterparty?

Ha no mate, not like that. A decent chap is I but yeah we were done pre that show looking back. But we got the four points. We were asked to go on that travel show where they send couples away , never watched tbh. Good Lord that would have been riveting viewing with us at each others throats.

I'm friends with a tv producer is how I got on FF. Due to my quirky nature I've been running a couple of ideas her way for tv shows . Getting a listen currently.

Just have a few shite things to work past in my life.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Ha no mate, not like that. A decent chap is I but yeah we were done pre that show looking back. But we got the four points. We were asked to go on that travel show where they send couples away , never watched tbh. Good Lord that would have been riveting viewing with us at each others throats.

I'm friends with a tv producer is how I got on FF. Due to my quirky nature I've been running a couple of ideas her way for tv shows . Getting a listen currently.

Just have a few sh*te things to work past in my life.
“BigFooty Feud”?

Yeah. I try as well. I get good flavour but not authentic. The chicken cooked over coconut shell coals in those little burners can't be beaten.
I love the Padma in Bali. Satays delivered poolside still cooking on coals for under $10 with the most fantastic satay sauce I have ever tasted.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I used to slip over to a mates place at lunchtime and he would whip up the most bizarre concoction of grated cheddar cheese, tomato sauce and worcestishire sauce whipped in to a paste and then lightly melted on toasted bread under the griller.

It sounds revolting, it looked revolting, but bugger me it actually tasted good.

That bloke and his brothers went on to become multi millionaire real estate magnates, so perhaps genius ran in the family?

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Just have a few sh*te things to work past in my life.
You don't come from Newcastle by any chance?

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Satay Ayam and nasi goreng were definitely one of the foods that broke the barriers for me. I used to be a frequent visitor to Indonesia and over time, we got used to some of the even more basic rice and soup dishes as we travelled around several islands. I tried to learn some Indo cooking skills but realistically I just can’t replicate the authenticity of even the most simple dishes. We have done ok with beef rendang though although this can be very different across different parts of Indonesia.

Thai food in my experience is far more sophisticated and take more time to prepare. The well known Tom Kha Gai is a tasty, spicy chicken and coconut soup. In a well off the tourist map town on the Burmese border I struck the spiciest dish I have ever encountered. Nobody in the restaurant spoke English and tourists were not very common. The girls who worked there were all watching me try to eat the soup, and busting themselves laughing at my suffering but as painful as it was I got through it. The girls were all pretty embarrassed butI suspect they’d never seen anything as funny as me sweating and struggling.

At a cooking school a couple of weeks later the teacher insisted that we add 17 tiny green chillies per person. These are as hot as. The 17 chilli soup was nowhere near as hot as the soup I had back in that town!

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Satay Ayam and nasi goreng were definitely one of the foods that broke the barriers for me. I used to be a frequent visitor to Indonesia and over time, we got used to some of the even more basic rice and soup dishes as we travelled around several islands. I tried to learn some Indo cooking skills but realistically I just can’t replicate the authenticity of even the most simple dishes. We have done ok with beef rendang though although this can be very different across different parts of Indonesia.

Thai food in my experience is far more sophisticated and take more time to prepare. The well known Tom Kha Gai is a tasty, spicy chicken and coconut soup. In a well off the tourist map town on the Burmese border I struck the spiciest dish I have ever encountered. Nobody in the restaurant spoke English and tourists were not very common. The girls who worked there were all watching me try to eat the soup, and busting themselves laughing at my suffering but as painful as it was I got through it. The girls were all pretty embarrassed butI suspect they’d never seen anything as funny as me sweating and struggling.

At a cooking school a couple of weeks later the teacher insisted that we add 17 tiny green chillies per person. These are as hot as. The 17 chilli soup was nowhere near as hot as the soup I had back in that town!

Wife no.1 from Jakarta S.O.S. 👍 She could cook. Her best dish was soto ayam. If you're in Melb. not too many " good " lndo restaurants around anymore, really only " Nelayan " in Swanston. Best used to be " Bali Bagus " at Camberwell junction but closed a few years ago.

Funnily best Japanese l've had is in Eltham run by Koreans.

SonofSamsquanch

Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sarmale (cabbage rolls) with mock mince meat for us tonight, with a bunch of roast veggies on the side. Beautiful.
I had a vego meal last night with falafel, herbed and roasted veggies and my version of a middle eastern salad. Was really very nice.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
More details…?

Dunno how my wife does the cabbage rolls specifically, but topped with sour cream. I did the veggies: crispy roast potatoes, pumpkin, carrots, asparagus, onion, and mushrooms roasted in garlic butter.

We use herbs and garlic from our garden which always tastes a bit better.

Back