Not open for further replies.

Coaster9

Draftee
Feb 9, 2011
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Footy tipping prize money

Hi all,

Would love some feedback into how prize money should be divided up.

If there a rule of thumb or something with percentages that X amount to 1st, 2nd & 3rd?

The situation is I'm currently leading by 1 tip, but then I'm 4 clear of 3rd. So basically I'm going to finish 1st or 2nd in my work tipping comp.

But, the guy sitting 3rd just happens to be the guy running the comp, and I just know he'll most likely divie te prize money up that sees 3rd place get way too much.

So Im just after some info to subtly bring up with him before it happens as to how it should be divided up. No announcement or notes have been produced to inform anyone of the amounts so far.

I'd think it's something like:
1st: 70%
2nd: 20%
3rd: 10%

Too much or too little somewhere??

Cheers

70/20/10 at our work comp too.

As KP said, absolutely crazy that it wasn't specified before the start of the comp.

But then 3rd gets stuff all.

If there is 20 people that pay $10 and have a $200 pool I think you should do more than double your money for beating 17 people. Surely. Anyway, as long as last doesnt get their money back I *ing hate that!

Who cares about 3rd? I haven't won a footy tipping comp in my life but the winner should get the majority. Screw the rest.

Thanks guys.

I know, it's redicilous it wasn't sorted at the start of the year

It's a decent pool, 62 people with an entry fee of $22.

So there's $1364 in the pool, but then theres $10 a round for picking 8, so minus $240, still leaves $1124

So at 10% 3rd would get $112.4, Thats decent seeing as it's not about 3rd, (you're right selective retention, no body cares about 3rd, it should almost be a money back thing, not a prize)

Ok, so I'll try and suggest a 70,20,10 split, seems pretty decent with a good prize pool

Reminds me of a story of the worst tipping comp rules I've ever heard, at a workplace I joined halfway through the year and so "unfortunately" missed out.

It was a company wide comp so in the team I was working in there would've been maybe 3 people in the comp. Two of them were rubbish but one of them was doing quite well.

The four prizes were split $500-$300-$150-$50, however after the last round two people tied for first with a clear third and fourth. Basic maths says you split the first two prizes between those that tie, so they get $400 each.

Nope.

The brain surgeon that ran the comp was adamant that the two people that tied were to share first prize, with the person who came next coming "second" and getting the entire second prize.

So the person who really came third got $300 whilst the two people that won it got $250.

Im not sure if this is the right place.

But please help.

Im coming 2nd - 2pts behind 1st and Im ahead on %.

I need to pick 2 upsets this weekend, ie no favorites, but also need to be careful not to slip to 4th or 5th?!

The last 4 games look like they could go either way.

I was thinking of tipping the Crows as my roughie?>???

Reminds me of a story of the worst tipping comp rules I've ever heard, at a workplace I joined halfway through the year and so "unfortunately" missed out.

It was a company wide comp so in the team I was working in there would've been maybe 3 people in the comp. Two of them were rubbish but one of them was doing quite well.

The four prizes were split $500-$300-$150-$50, however after the last round two people tied for first with a clear third and fourth. Basic maths says you split the first two prizes between those that tie, so they get $400 each.

Nope.

The brain surgeon that ran the comp was adamant that the two people that tied were to share first prize, with the person who came next coming "second" and getting the entire second prize.

So the person who really came third got $300 whilst the two people that won it got $250.

according to those idiots then Geelong won the flag last year......:confused::eek::p

Nope.

Wow I would have lost my mind. It just amazes me how stupid people can be and there would just be no way of telling them they are wrong, because to them its so black and white they think you are the idiot. A perfect example of why I prefer animals to people.

Just wow lenny, i would of lost my s**t if i came first and he tried pulling a stunt like that, i hope he wasnt the one that came second..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My work tipping comp have money back for 2nd last and 1st and 2nd split the remaining pool 80/20 or 70-30 ...i think thats fair...3rd should get f*** all...
im 3rd at the moment but im happy for not getting anything...1st and 2nd deserve their winning...

It was a woman, actually. Explains a bit. :p

This is one of the few sports that women should have nothing do with!

Unless you have played the game, Im sorry you cant comment on football.

Thats why women like Caro sh1t me. In fairness to her she only talks about the politics of the game and not game plans, tactics etc. But still.

Then there is that female commentator on 10 or used to be there, how the hell would she know anything about the game! Her call is a cut and paste of those that can commentate.

Sorry Lenny you struck a nerve in me lol. I digress big time......

This is one of the few sports that women should have nothing do with!

Unless you have played the game, Im sorry you cant comment on football.

Thats why women like Caro sh1t me. In fairness to her she only talks about the politics of the game and not game plans, tactics etc. But still.

Then there is that female commentator on 10 or used to be there, how the hell would she know anything about the game! Her call is a cut and paste of those that can commentate.

Sorry Lenny you struck a nerve in me lol. I digress big time......

All of that has nothing to do with not being able to work out simple mathematics :confused:

My work tipping comp have money back for 2nd last and 1st and 2nd split the remaining pool 80/20 or 70-30 ...i think thats fair...3rd should get f*** all...
im 3rd at the moment but im happy for not getting anything...1st and 2nd deserve their winning...

I think if you come last you should get your money back, to tip that badly you deserve something it takes a lot of effort.

I think if you come last you should get your money back, to tip that badly you deserve something it takes a lot of effort.

Disagree, if some douchebag cant be ****ed putting their tips in for the last 10 weeks and gets all the away teams and finishes last why the hell should they get money before the people who actually have bothered to put their tips in.

This is how the prize pool is div in one of my comps

The expected end of season prize pool is currently: $7,100.00

Expected Prizes:
1st Prize $2,800.00
2nd Prize $1,300.00
3rd Prize $600.00
4th Prize $300.00
5th Prize $200.00
6th - 20th($50each) $750.00
1st Sure Winner $500.00
2nd Sure Winner $500.00
Non Prize Draw(Drawn)x2 $100.00

Disagree, if some douchebag cant be ****ed putting their tips in for the last 10 weeks and gets all the away teams and finishes last why the hell should they get money before the people who actually have bothered to put their tips in.
thats why we dont award last place

lol I disagree.

This is the AFL, we reward coming last lol, with the number 1 draft pick !;)

Anyone without a hope tanking for last would be pretty cool IMO. You'd just have to make anyone that didn't submit tips for any particular week ineligible for the prize.

Nope.

Oh I've seen that happen and if you're one of the winners, the peanuts running the show just think you're being greedy.

In the comp I'm in theres a prize for last, but if you miss any weeks tips you're ineligible.

One guy has just been trying to tip losers all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back