Backline Coach: Rohan Smith
Midfield Coach: Brendon Lade
Stoppages/Opposition Analysis Coach: Marc Webb
Forward Coach: Matt Spangher
Development Coach: Jamie Maddocks
Development Coach: Travis Varcoe
Development Coach: Stef Martin

What a joke one minor change to the coaching structure

I cannot get any info whatsoever about this meeting from my two inner-club people. Zip. Zero. One of these people is a childhood friend of mine for example.

Whatever went down it was bloody sworn to secrecy level.

Maybe our report is linked to the UFO report the USA was due to release on 31st October....still no report....the truth is out there...at the WO

Lade was introduced as our senior assistant at the BnF? That's all I've seen mentioned.

I kind of assumed he was in the sense that if s**t goes south quick next year he's the obvious next in line to coach. But seems a little unclear, Montgomery was always labelled 'senior assistant', and the whole position has just kind of faded over the years for us.

I kind of assumed he was in the sense that if s**t goes south quick next year he's the obvious next in line to coach. But seems a little unclear, Montgomery was always labelled 'senior assistant', and the whole position has just kind of faded over the years for us.
I don’t think many teams run a senior assistant & 3 line coaches in post soft cap era tbh - seems you just have your line coaches as assistants or senior assistants depending on experience, I think Lade was announced as a senior assistant.

Looks like that’s it for changes with the internal promotion for Maples role. It is a fair bit better than last year splitting the midfield role and getting Lade in in addition but geez Sphanger stands out like a sore thumb, I guess we ****ed ourselves over last year signing him to a two year deal so probably nothing we could do this off-season.

He’s completely and utterly out of his depth though and a bit of a joke he’s in charge of our fairly high profile and talented forward line.

Him and Smith should be on high alert that they’re both on the chopping block should both lines not improve dramatically.

Pretty underwhelming to say the least

I don’t think many teams run a senior assistant & 3 line coaches in post soft cap era tbh - seems you just have your line coaches as assistants or senior assistants depending on experience, I think Lade was announced as a senior assistant.

Looks like that’s it for changes with the internal promotion for Maples role. It is a fair bit better than last year splitting the midfield role and getting Lade in in addition but geez Sphanger stands out like a sore thumb, I guess we ****ed ourselves over last year signing him to a two year deal so probably nothing we could do this off-season.

He’s completely and utterly out of his depth though and a bit of a joke he’s in charge of our fairly high profile and talented forward line.

Him and Smith should be on high alert that they’re both on the chopping block should both lines not improve dramatically.

Pretty underwhelming to say the least
The soft cap is increasing by $500k in 2023. Where the hell are we spending it? We’ve brought in Lade & Martin and lost Maple.

Our wider coaching department is absolutely diabolical.

The soft cap is increasing by $500k in 2023. Where the hell are we spending it? We’ve brought in Lade & Martin and lost Maple.

Our wider coaching department is absolutely diabolical.

Set aside for Bevo’s performance bonus if he manages to get a talented list to squeak into the eight and have a valiant EF loss. Again.

When other clubs at similar stages of development have had reviews in recent years typically there’s been a decent level of change in the coaching structure to support the senior coach. Maybe we tried that and nobody would come, which tells us something in itself. Or we didn’t and played around the edges.

Either way, that’s a pretty disappointing result on the surface. Let’s hope the changes are behind the scenes to avoid some of the coaching issues from 2022 being repeated next year.

Set aside for Bevo’s performance bonus if he manages to get a talented list to squeak into the eight and have a valiant EF loss. Again.

When other clubs at similar stages of development have had reviews in recent years typically there’s been a decent level of change in the coaching structure to support the senior coach. Maybe we tried that and nobody would come, which tells us something in itself. Or we didn’t and played around the edges.

Either way, that’s a pretty disappointing result on the surface. Let’s hope the changes are behind the scenes to avoid some of the coaching issues from 2022 being repeated next year.
Alarm bells are definitely ringing, hopefully we extend Bevos contract until the end of ‘25 before we’ve seen any improvement 🙃🔫

What could possibly go weong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About what I expected. Make a huge song and dance then do three fifths of * all.
God we hate success as a club.
Fingers crossed we can capitalise on Smith, Naughton, Darcy and Marra's primes because we have pissed away Libba, Macrae and Bonts.

2023 coaching line up

Senior Coach:
Luke Beveridge
Backline Coach: Rohan Smith
Midfield Coach: Brendon Lade
Stoppages/Opposition Analysis Coach: Marc Webb
Forward Coach: Matt Spangher
Development Coach: Jamie Maddocks
Development Coach: Travis Varcoe
Development Coach: Stef Martin

This is a great coaching line up now.

Premiership winning senior coach
Experienced mid coach and senior assistant - Lade
Experienced and highly rated backline coach - Smith
Stoppages expert - Webb
Young but highly rated and talented Fwd coach - Spangher
2 experienced development coaches plus the highly intelligent Big Stef.

Looking forward to next year already.

This is a great coaching line up now.

Premiership winning senior coach
Experienced mid coach and senior assistant - Lade
Experienced and highly rated backline coach - Smith
Stoppages expert - Webb
Young but highly rated and talented Fwd coach - Spangher
2 experienced development coaches plus the highly intelligent Big Stef.

Looking forward to next year already.

I appreciate the glass half full outlook.

Curious where have you heard Spangher is highly rated?

About what I expected. Make a huge song and dance then do three fifths of * all.
God we hate success as a club.
Fingers crossed we can capitalise on Smith, Naughton, Darcy and Marra's primes because we have pissed away Libba, Macrae and Bonts.
I don't know what pissed away your prime means. Have the coaches made them play worse and they haven't reached their potential because of them? They have two flags in 95 years at least some of them have won one flag, many champion players don't get to win any. Libba, Macrae and Bont have never played in a team that is the best in the comp. They have had fantastic careers, they need players around them to lift, that will help them win another flag, not what some forward line coach says to them.

We've pissed away the primes of premiership players who have since played another grand final, and are all still performing at an elite level?
They won a premiership when they were children.
They should have been the core of our next premiership side. They in all likelihood won't be because of coaching and a lack of support around Beveridge.

Sorry if some don't like this but it really seems like reality.

They should have been the core of our next premiership side. They in all likelihood won't be because of coaching and a lack of support around Beveridge.

Libba was 24, Macrae 22 and Bont 21. Hardly children. All still playing elite footy so their primes aren't over

Well if it is reality give us some facts that prove Beveridge isn't being supported. Reality isn't based on guesses. What can Spangher and Webb do to support him more?

Last edited:
All still playing elite footy so their primes aren't over
For now.

Well if it is reality give us some facts that prove Beveridge isn't being supported. What can Spangher and Webb do to support him more?
Nothing. It's Grant and Bains that need to get in coaches better than Spangher and Webb to support Beveridge.
Instead we've rolled out the same skeleton staff as last year plus Lade and minus Maple. Fantastic work. Exactly what's needed.

Well if it is reality give us some facts that prove Beveridge isn't being supported. Reality isn't based on guesses. What can Spangher and Webb do to support him more?
I think whether you love Bevo or think he sucks ass i think we can all agree that he’s not being supported enough - think you’d be in the minority if you didn’t agree.

Spangher should be coaching my nephews divi 3 u12s team with his resume, how this bloke walked into a line coach role in forward line coming off a grand final appearance is bloody astonishing to be honest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back