Coach Football department changes going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Good that this news appears to have been given to members before the media or through the Club’s social media.

That said…I’m a little annoyed that it’s come before the seasons got underway and we’ve seen what his team serves up.

They’ve referenced him as ‘Premiership Coach’ in the text message which is also a bit frustrating. We all love him for that but he can’t be getting contract extensions based on something he pulled off 6 years ago.

I’m kind of caught between being happy about this but feeling it’s undeserved and not the right time for this move from the Club.

Probably a good thing for the stability of the joint although it’s not going to stop the wolves if we start poorly - if anything just make them louder. But at least that’s all external noise and internally everyone knows where they stand.

We just have to make the most of these next 3 years, the list is more than capable of contending and its Absolutely Bevos last chance to bring some consistency to our results there’s no excuses anymore. I really don’t want to think what happens if we underperform again next year it could get ugly, let’s just hope it doesn’t come to that and extending Bevo early is a master stroke, I can’t say I overly agree with the call personally I would have waited but I admit it’s a tough situation either way to extend early or let it ride, either way there’s no good scenario if we just don’t perform - easy solution? *ing perform to our abilities and win the flag.

Praying that magic is back and we see the brilliant Bevo we all know and love, not the Bevo we’ve seen in the past few seasons. Early signs from preseason are very promising, vibe is back but let’s wait and see

Good that this news appears to have been given to members before the media or through the Club’s social media.

That said…I’m a little annoyed that it’s come before the seasons got underway and we’ve seen what his team serves up.

They’ve referenced him as ‘Premiership Coach’ in the text message which is also a bit frustrating. We all love him for that but he can’t be getting contract extensions based on something he pulled off 6 years ago.

I’m kind of caught between being happy about this but feeling it’s undeserved and not the right time for this move from the Club.
You're wrong.

He is getting a contract extensions because he made the Grand final just 12months ago and has made finals the last 4 years.

Give that record to 12-15 other clubs they would eat your hand off.

There's not too many people he doesn't have a personal vendetta against to be fair 😂
Kane's with Bevo is super personal though.

He thinks Bevo was targeting him & his wife in his interview post the Port prelim in 2021 when he was defending Adam Treloar.

It's all a load of BS but Kane saw it as an opportunity to get more attention.

Glad we did it early and didn’t cave to the contrived pressure from Caro, Cornes et al. If next year doesn’t start well this should keep the heat off for a while.

It’s the right call. He hasn’t been perfect but I don’t believe in just judging a coach on any given year. He’s broadly been very good. Regardless of what happens in 2023 I would back him to get us into another unexpected GF before long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greatest coach our club has ever had. Glad they've tried to get him additional support with Lade and some other movements.

2 years is reasonable, in a perfect world we would've waited, but it's far from the worst case scenario.
All considered, I’d rather they do it now and back him in rather than waiting. The club should know whether he’s the guy and how the team goes in the first half of the season shouldn’t be what makes the call.

He is referenced as a Premiership Coach because he is one. Two flags in 97 years so I reckon he has the earnt the right to be referenced as that. Not sure how that implies they are giving him a contract extension based on what he did six years ago. They obviously think he can do it again.

So good Bevo has committed to us again. A few years ago, I thought he would have given the game away by now so I'm over the moon today. Bevo might be quirky, and he might have good and bad years, but he aint a one trick pony, he aint owned by Board power or spivs, and he aint afraid to take a risk. In my mind that will always generate a net win over time. Happy days.

Good decision extending now. Takes the heat off Bevo directly, if it goes **** up the club will cop the heat. 2021 was a disaster but there were exceptional circumstances coming from 2021. Bevo looked exhausted and agitated most of 2022, hopefully he is now better supported and resourced.

Board basically saying he is the best option to another flag out a list with Bont in his prime and I agree. Realistically if we sacked Bevo, we would have to go an untried assistant and that's a huge roll of the dice.

He already seems to have taken a breath and realised and the entire footy world maybe isn't against him. Focus more on stopping every team in the league getting 6 goal runs on us in a game and a little less and the media being out to get you and he'll be fine. Backing him in.

He is referenced as a Premiership Coach because he is one. Two flags in 97 years so I reckon he has the earnt the right to be referenced as that. Not sure how that implies they are giving him a contract extension based on what he did six years ago. They obviously think he can do it again.
He's coached 50% of our GFs & VFL/AFL Flags, and 30% of our VFL/AFL finals wins.
For his flaws and idiosyncracies he's still the greatest coach in our history and I'm comfortable with a 2 year contract extension.

Until Matty Boyd wants to come back to Vic.. .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back