Coach Football department changes going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

List management trolling by a bloke who follows a team who just lost two elite A grade young talents in Jackson & Baker whilst replacing them with discards FROM THE TEAM YOURE TROLLING (like we don’t know better than any about their faults) whilst also blowing their cap on an injury prone 45 yo bloke in a position they don’t actually need - it’s an an interesting approach by young Brian

Ballsy move by the club. I am hopeful the club has sat down with Luke and discussed his major flaws and he has accepted some constructive criticism and this was the reason the club has resigned him. Positives is he did an interview with the yobo Robbo. He seems to be in a better mental space. Late is having significantly input into training. Sullivan did not get picked up as a coaches pick and it seemed Power was behind Bakers move.

yes he is the most successful coach but has had the best list, best facilities, financial stability, best recruiters in the club history. The only list comparable was 1954 and we screwed that up. i am hopeful and expecting a top 4 finish and a premiership and that should be the expectation.

Let's be honest, most of you on this board couldn't afford a Grand Final ticket.

You've lost Dunkley, Schache, Hunter and gained Lobb and somehow there is people on this board saying it's the best list ever.
"Lost" Schache and Hunter, holy s**t that is the worst of all time bad takes

* that's really gonna keep my up at night, how bad that is

Let's be honest, most of you on this board couldn't afford a Grand Final ticket.

You've lost Dunkley, Schache, Hunter and gained Lobb and somehow there is people on this board saying it's the best list ever.

One of the worst posts I’ve ever seen on here and there’s been some shockers. Do you know what’s interesting about a guy like you? Absolutely nothing. My advice is to not ever come in here again and throw insults at my friends about their socioeconomic status of which you know nothing about, nor have any business questioning. You had a good season in 2021 but your club has made mediocrity an art form for a long time, so it’s both pathetic and wildly humorous to see you now chest beating as though you’ve had a dynasty.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One of the worst posts I’ve ever seen on here and there’s been some shockers. Do you know what’s interesting about a guy like you? Absolutely nothing. My advice is to not ever come in here again and throw insults at my friends about their socioeconomic status of which you know nothing about, nor have any business questioning. You had a good season in 2021 but your club has made mediocrity an art form for a long time, so it’s both pathetic and wildly humorous to see you now chest beating as though you’ve had a dynasty.

My friends 🥺🥺

I don’t think many teams run a senior assistant & 3 line coaches in post soft cap era tbh - seems you just have your line coaches as assistants or senior assistants depending on experience, I think Lade was announced as a senior assistant.

Looks like that’s it for changes with the internal promotion for Maples role. It is a fair bit better than last year splitting the midfield role and getting Lade in in addition but geez Sphanger stands out like a sore thumb, I guess we ****ed ourselves over last year signing him to a two year deal so probably nothing we could do this off-season.

He’s completely and utterly out of his depth though and a bit of a joke he’s in charge of our fairly high profile and talented forward line.

Him and Smith should be on high alert that they’re both on the chopping block should both lines not improve dramatically.

Pretty underwhelming to say the least
Kinda like this forum

They won a premiership when they were children.
They should have been the core of our next premiership side. They in all likelihood won't be because of coaching and a lack of support around Beveridge.

Sorry if some don't like this but it really seems like reality.
And they will be

Geelong had the oldest team in the competition last year. Premierships are f…ing hard and we know we have a coach who can deliver

Ah in what way are they similar?

Development coach under Malthouse in pies flag, backline coach of the Hawks 3peat, back to back to back premierships in the VAFA, just been hired to head director of coaching at St Kilda.

The bloke had an immaculate footy resume, Spangher did some Ops management part time for the Pies VFL side and spent a year in charge of the FlyBuys loyalty program… has literally never had a development AFL role in his life, you know the role that every coach starts in. Definitely the role you should start in before taking responsibility of a high performing line

Not even on the same page or worth the time of day in comparing
They are similar in ridiculous criticism from posters who would have zero knowledge or understanding of what is going on. Sure this is a forum and everyone is entitled to have their say but some of the criticism is absolutely clueless

With a list quarter as talented with no A grade players apart from Steele.

With that crap list he out coached Bevo in a Elim. List management passed up on 2 of the 3 best midfielders in the AFL and the best contested marking key position player since Carey and we landed 2 of them with later picks.

the coach is only as good as the cattle he has at his disposal.

Seriously I am bemused by supporters who rate coaches without looking at the playing list, the recruiting, facilities and the administration of the club. Those 4 factors are as important as the coach.

Parkin and Clarkson rates Ratten and so does Bevo so that is good enough for me.
Ratten is nowhere close to Bevo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I feel reassured that the club is in good hands and they are listening to the fans.

Kylie Watson-Wheeler is performing like a President should, in that she is behind the scenes and not out in front like Kennett or Maguire or even a Gordon. She didn’t get to being Vice President for one of the biggest companies in the world without understanding what makes people tick, how to create a good organisation culture, and good customer service.

Every fan is happy with the membership packs, and they seem to be on time this year ✅
The communication from the club, including inner sanctum stuff has been great ✅
The recruiting has been for our needs ✅
Bevo is looking a lot happier, and more reflective on some of his previous decisions ✅
Recruited Lade, who seems well respected ✅
The players look upbeat, and we have made decisions for the good of all the team (Hunter) ✅

This is the best dog's list I have ever seen.

Even more balanced than last year.

It's go time.

Richmond backed Hardwick at the right time. Could this be our moment?
The list looks great on paper, and has for a few years now (although I agree it's looking very balances now). However the biggest hurdle with this group is the mental side of things. Can they bring their best (or close to) for 4 quarters each week over a season? Or will they continue to have mental lapses within games that lets sides get run ons against us? The good thing is that it seems the vibe and energy within the group is really positive this pre-season so hopefully that carries through next year and holds them in good stead.

The list looks great on paper, and has for a few years now (although I agree it's looking very balances now). However the biggest hurdle with this group is the mental side of things. Can they bring their best (or close to) for 4 quarters each week over a season? Or will they continue to have mental lapses within games that lets sides get run ons against us? The good thing is that it seems the vibe and energy within the group is really positive this pre-season so hopefully that carries through next year and holds them in good stead.
I think it’s a combination of physical and mental but I agree there is a lot of variability in performance between potential and what’s actually delivered. Some obvious examples:
  • Treloar injured or nor
  • Cody with one or two good elbows
  • Bont injured or not
  • Bailey Smith 2021 vs 2022
  • Crozier 2018/2019 or 2020+
  • McLean back to near his best
  • Bruce back to near his best
  • Bailey Williams 2021 vs 2022
  • JJ injured or not
  • Keath 2021 vs 2022
  • English concussion free or not
If you get the in form version of most of the above, not even having to go to new levels, and it makes a huge difference

This! Our drop from No.1 to No.16 in defending opposition teams transition from coast to coast it mental. The drop in efficient ball use by foot is mental. The poor decision making and turn overs is mental. Acting like a deer stuck in headlights when opposition teams go on a 6-7 goal burst in a quarter walking the ball out the middle is mental. Yes its coaching and technique too. But we all know those areas we can do better, because we have done better in the past with the same players.

Having 3-4 players peel off their man to try and tackle ONE guy with the ball, and then wonder why the F teams have so many loose players over the back of us is mental. Back your team mate to do his job and stick to your guy, take away any options for the opponent.

Improvement in this area is the number one thing I am looking for in the preseason. Improving mentality will have a flow on effect to many areas in our game where we could do better.

This! Our drop from No.1 to No.16 in defending opposition teams transition from coast to coast it mental. The drop in efficient ball use by foot is mental. The poor decision making and turn overs is mental. Acting like a deer stuck in headlights when opposition teams go on a 6-7 goal burst in a quarter walking the ball out the middle is mental. Yes its coaching and technique too. But we all know those areas we can do better, because we have done better in the past with the same players.

Having 3-4 players peel off their man to try and tackle ONE guy with the ball, and then wonder why the F teams have so many loose players over the back of us is mental. Back your team mate to do his job and stick to your guy, take away any options for the opponent.

Improvement in this area is the number one thing I am looking for in the preseason. Improving mentality will have a flow on effect to many areas in our game where we could do better.
Who's responsible for the implementation of the points you raised? Obviously the players need to execute. But when they don't or can't or won't, it's on the coaches to bring them up to speed.

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back