Coach Football department changes going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsure if this has been answered already but aren’t assistant coaches usually made aware whether they’ll be at the club the following year at this time? Is this usually public information or is it not normally known until post season? I genuinely can’t remember.
We signed our new ones to 2 year deals I imagine..

I don't know with him. Our defence has over performed for yonks and he was a great development coach.

Interesting times.
Don't you think if the defence had "overperformed for yonks" then clearly that is their standard.

You can underperform based on ability but how can you play above yourself, especially for "yonks".

That saying doesn't male sense

Unsure if this has been answered already but aren’t assistant coaches usually made aware whether they’ll be at the club the following year at this time? Is this usually public information or is it not normally known until post season? I genuinely can’t remember.
Yes. I can’t remember the exact date but the Coaches Association has required all clubs to advise all coaches sometime in August ( August 1 maybe? But definitely a date in August) if they will not be renewed at the end of their contract.

There is news we are looking at Leon Cameron. I have said numerous times that Luke Darcy is too chummy with Luke Beverage and this not healthy. Leon Cameron is nearly Luke Darcy’s best mate! As well, Leon is close with Chris Grant. All four of them seem too good friends to be accountable and a boss to each other to work?

There is news we are looking at Leon Cameron. I have said numerous times that Luke Darcy is too chummy with Luke Beverage and this not healthy. Leon Cameron is nearly Luke Darcy’s best mate! As well, Leon is close with Chris Grant. All four of them seem too good friends to be accountable and a boss to each other to work?

Totally agree Fresh. It's the nepotism and chumminess that got us into this mess.

I get what you’re saying, but I’d be looking at them as two completely seperate positions. I wouldn’t be recruiting for our senior assistant role with someone who has senior ambitions, fraught with danger and a conflict of interest really.
I guess we'll have to wait and see what role they actually have in mind for any prospective assistant.
Look at the success Melbourne has had with Choco & Richo, Tigs with Leppitsch, Pies now with Bolton & Leppitsch. (We’ve got Sphanger 😂)

These are all guys who realistically know their shot at a senior role is now finished, at least in the short term maybe they can work their way back over years but for now they’re focussed on their current roles at their clubs, and all are really failed senior coaches due to certain weaknesses, but who bring huge experience and a wealth of AFL knowledge with them.
I dont think there is any such thing as a former senior coach. Each of these guys would willingly step straight back into senior role if the opportunity arose.
That’s what we’d be trying to replicate, hiring someone who is busting at the seams for a senior opportunity under Bev in the hope that he can take over in the case Bev leaves isn’t really ideal.
You are absolutely correct. Its not ideal. Given he is not yet 50, regardless of the role we might have in mind for him. I really doubt that the fire of leading his own side has left Cameron. What I have no doubt about is that if we have another middling year next season that the jungle drums of Cameron replacing Beveridge would start in this very place (actually they already have...) and then travel to the wider football media soon after. Make no mistake, if Beveridge went. Cameron would be the senior coach. In fact it would almost seem to be set up that way given the closeness of those involved and this is exactly the way that his appointment would be spun in the football media.

This is the nub of my concerns around any prospective Cameron appointment.
Cameron had weaknesses, by the sounds of things it was possibly his player management, communication, motivational side of things in trying to get the best out of a supremely talented, albeit flaky and ‘manufactured’ list. But he’s a hardass and you can’t question his previous football knowledge, he’s had extremely successful lines under him for years - he’d compliment Bev well. I think he’d take one look at what we’re doing defensively right now and tell Bev he’s a ******* idiot tbh
Its not really his CV that concerns me. Its the closeness and the potential conflicts of interest that may arise with those that will ultimately have the most say in his appointment that does. Something that isnt really countered by the time he has spent away from Whitten Oval.

Im not sure that Beveridge is the kind of guy that would take one of his underlings calling him a "******* idiot" all that well.

It seems to run a little counter to the notion of him complimenting Bevo well!

Leon was very close to getting the gig over Beveridge
Jeez, that would have to be the worst sliding doors reference Ive ever heard!

I had to go and check that my framed members, GF ticket and premiership poster to make sure it wasn't fading into nothingness. Fortunately its there and its fine.
and was a very highly rated assistant to Clarkson.
I'd actually prefer Cameron to any assistant we have at the club at the moment.

Who doesn't come out from under Clarkson shadow without that moniker attached to their CV though?

Its almost a coaching trope these days.

I dont mind being a lone voice on this and I'll stop now. Its just that I hope that we're casting a wider net than one centred around an ex-player with very close personal ties to the 3 of the most senior football related people at our club for reasons that I have outlined way too many times already.

I would also prefer Cameron over any of the incumbents. Its not really a high bar to step over though is it?

Chummy or not you get the best person available for the job. Can't really see how successful people like Beveridge, Darcy, Grant and Cameron would be so unprofessional to let friendships dictate how accountable they are in a job. Give them some credit mate.

Chummy or not you get the best person available for the job. Can't really see how successful people like Beveridge, Darcy, Grant and Cameron would be so unprofessional to let friendships dictate how accountable they are in a job. Give them some credit mate.

So it doesn't worry you that Bevo has populated our coaching panel with his little puppets from St Bede's?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this happens in politics everyone arcs up, and for good reasons. There is no way you can be as truthful in a professional way if you are too close personally.

BULLDOGS SOUND OUT FORMER GIANTS COACH​

BY ANDREW SLEVISON 8 HOURS AGO
Leon_Cameron_GWS.jpg

Leon Cameron is being sounded out by his former club the Western Bulldogs.

SEN’s Sam Edmund has reported that the Bulldogs are considering bringing Cameron back to the Whitten Oval to link up with head coach Luke Beveridge and head of football Chris Grant.

It is understood that the Dogs have started “informal” talks with the former GWS Giants coach as clubs begin to prepare for an increase in the soft cap.
Cameron has a long history with the Bulldogs, having played 172 games over 10 seasons in the red, white and blue, and served as an assistant coach from 2004 to 2010.

“The Western Bulldogs have had informal discussions with Leon Cameron about a role at The Kennel next year,” Edmund said on SEN’s Whateley.
“I’m sure Leon has been contacted by many clubs and this was a sounding out from the Dogs, nothing more. ‘What are you up to next year? What do you want to do?’
“Obviously Leon is close to Chris Grant, the current head of football. Played a lot of football with Chris and also Luke Beveridge, who he’s worked with before at Hawthorn.
“All clubs are reviewing what they’re doing with the soft cap increase even though it’s minimal. There’s an extra half a million dollars in the cap, so some decisions to be made there.
“Do we bring new staff in or do we bring existing back up to what they deserve financially? So it’s all a bit delicate in that space at the moment.”
Cameron parted ways with the Giants in May after nine years at the helm.
He has most recently been working part-time in the media with SEN and AFL Nation.

If this happens in politics everyone arcs up, and for good reasons. There is no way you can be as truthful in a professional way if you are too close personally.
Why can't you be truthful to someone you are close to personally? Wouldn't it be the opposite, because you are close to them you feel like you can say anything to them? #

Last edited:
Why can't you be truthful to someone you are close to personally? Wouldn't it be the opposite, because you are close to them you feel like you can say anything to them? #
Worked a treat recently in a country across the other side of the pacific 😩

I guess we'll have to wait and see what role they actually have in mind for any prospective assistant.

I dont think there is any such thing as a former senior coach. Each of these guys would willingly step straight back into senior role if the opportunity arose.

You are absolutely correct. Its not ideal. Given he is not yet 50, regardless of the role we might have in mind for him. I really doubt that the fire of leading his own side has left Cameron. What I have no doubt about is that if we have another middling year next season that the jungle drums of Cameron replacing Beveridge would start in this very place (actually they already have...) and then travel to the wider football media soon after. Make no mistake, if Beveridge went. Cameron would be the senior coach. In fact it would almost seem to be set up that way given the closeness of those involved and this is exactly the way that his appointment would be spun in the football media.

This is the nub of my concerns around any prospective Cameron appointment.

Its not really his CV that concerns me. Its the closeness and the potential conflicts of interest that may arise with those that will ultimately have the most say in his appointment that does. Something that isnt really countered by the time he has spent away from Whitten Oval.

Im not sure that Beveridge is the kind of guy that would take one of his underlings calling him a "******* idiot" all that well.

It seems to run a little counter to the notion of him complimenting Bevo well!

Jeez, that would have to be the worst sliding doors reference Ive ever heard!

I had to go and check that my framed members, GF ticket and premiership poster to make sure it wasn't fading into nothingness. Fortunately its there and its fine.

Who doesn't come out from under Clarkson shadow without that moniker attached to their CV though?

Its almost a coaching trope these days.

I dont mind being a lone voice on this and I'll stop now. Its just that I hope that we're casting a wider net than one centred around an ex-player with very close personal ties to the 3 of the most senior football related people at our club for reasons that I have outlined way too many times already.

I would also prefer Cameron over any of the incumbents. Its not really a high bar to step over though is it?
Absolutely they’d all jump at the chance to coach a list again but it’s not going to happen anytime soon - it’s hard to get another chance, took Voss 7 years as an assistant before he got another chance - I doubt Bolton ever does considering how bad his first go was and he was one of the most highly rated assistants floating around in years. Taking on a basket case club is a career killer - it’s why I’d love to see what fell out of the tree if we gave it a shake this year, the chance to walk into a coaching gig with our current list would have every single prospective coach in the country falling over themselves to coach us.

I can’t see Cameron getting a senior gig in the next 5 years tbh, so I’d rather someone like that (doesn’t have to be Leon btw, I’d take *ing anyone) over an Yze for example who is just about next cab off the rank.

You just know we’re going to use the extra cap space to fatten up our current panels contracts though don’t you? Help the boys out a bit

You just know we’re going to use the extra cap space to fatten up our current panels contracts though don’t you? Help the boys out a bit

Spangher deserves a raise. When we first got him he had zero coaching experience. He now has one year of experience, therefore he deserves more money.

Caro has pretty much ruled out Leon Cameron coming to us next year, will stay in Sydney with family.

1.25 in below.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back