Coach Football department changes going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to be a pretty decent get, at least for our current staff its good to get his level of experience in. Always tough to know exactly how good of a coach they are, but happy we landed a top assistant.

Would still like to add another who can bring something a little different also, I wonder if David Mundy is interested to get involved in coaching straight away or a Josh Kennedy (either) as a player just freshly retired who can add something to our mix.

Have a niggling feeling that this is the only change we will make in the coaching box.

We'll probably move some development coaches in

To be fair Dergent, your niggling feelings usually do default to the worst case scenario. Just having a stir mate!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just looked at the Saints threads to see if anybody was upset.

Seems like they were the opposite which doesn't make me feel too happy about the appointment

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Dogs fans everywhere sooked it up when Ash Hansen and Gia each held senior roles at the club, and both are now held in very high esteem elsewhere. I think the average person just has no idea how good or bad an assistant coach really is

Great get cleveland - from memory you also said we were interested in Barrass a few weeks back?

From the info you & Smiley Boy have gotten which seems to be good, definitely seems like there was a bit of smoke there - not saying it’s likely to even be a chance of happening but good to know we were at least having a dig
Yep. Same source mentioned Barrassi. He is hard to get though.

Dogs fans everywhere sooked it up when Ash Hansen and Gia each held senior roles at the club, and both are now held in very high esteem elsewhere. I think the average person just has no idea how good or bad an assistant coach really is

Nope. The vast majority would have zero idea if he’s any good or not, myself included.

I would like to see James Hird given assistant/senior assistant role. He was looking like being a good coach. He let his ego and desire get ahead of his humanity. But a decade on, he now has hopefully some wisdom. He is intelligent and a great communicator. He can’t afford o put a foot wrong, not because of his past and the current AFL climate too. I think we would all benefit from having him here for a while.
Forever the Contrarian, Freshwater.

Serious question here. Go into 2023 unchanged or go in with an experienced senior assistant? In my opinion, successful seasons are built in the preceding years. Seems to have been involved in seeing clubs build towards something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. The vast majority would have zero idea if he’s any good or not, myself included.

The big issue here is that he has zero track record of being involved in successful cultures.

I’m just happy we’ve got someone who hasn’t spent their playing career the Bulldogs and their coaching career at the Bulldogs . Who knows , he might bring some whacko left-field ideas like putting players in their correct positions. He’s there in time to tap Bev on the shoulder before he hands out 5 year contracts to anyone who washes his car on the VFL team.

Anyone with some experience and clout to keep Bevo honest. He’s not perfect but surely he could teach our players something?
Joel Selwood would be the on in some sort of role, just make one up if needed.
I was listening to a bit of Big Ideas (RN) in the car today and the interviewee was Mick Warner who wrote “The Boy’s Club” … which I just happen to be reading ATM.

They covered a range of the usual topics (drugs, tanking, coverups etc) but Warner’s view on the Essendon PED scandal was that, while not totally free of blame, Hird was the AFL’s main fall guy so they could protect mates and corporate assets (including players and Essendon’s licence).

I haven’t got to that part of the book yet but it should make good reading when I do.

So, after serving nearly a 10 year sentence maybe he now deserves another chance?

Just looked at the Saints threads to see if anybody was upset.

Seems like they were the opposite which doesn't make me feel too happy about the appointment

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
They had the same reaction when they got rid of Ameet Bains from memory.

That club has no idea what they are doing.

Seems like a decent signing for us but at the same time I get the feeling Saints fans won't be too unhappy to see him go. He was their forwardline coach this year, and they definitely had issues up there.
You could give St Kilda the best forward coach to ever walk the earth and they still wouldn’t achieve anything with that forward line of downhill skiers.

Seems like a decent signing for us but at the same time I get the feeling Saints fans won't be too unhappy to see him go. He was their forwardline coach this year, and they definitely had issues up there.
A lot of their issues came from piss-poor accuracy and fwd entries. When they were on King and the others looked good.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back