Official Club Stuff Football Department Review and Board update

Remove this Banner Ad

…Instead of learning from all of this Sayers has just continued on the trend of previous administrations and just fired anybody he could.
Instead of hiring the best coach, we will probably have to choose between a coach who has been out of coaching for three years and stated he hated the job or some very qualified assistant(s) who are ready to step up.
Maybe you are right. But maybe he’s taken the initiative to cull all of the bad elements off his own bat, so that they can not ‘democratically’ hold up or stop the process.

we just live in hope it will turn around soon

i like this sayers dude. if we get someone like cook, i believe footy department will improve.

I agree. Its too soon to judge Sayers. One thing we know is that to make changes , people have to be sacked; That part we cant be surprised or critical about. The real difference will be the philosophy of the appointments and how those appointments are supported with ancillary staff and real support

Who on earth would want a job at Carlton with that toxicity behind them?

IMO clarkson wont entertain the idea unless he has an administrator behind him that will take no BS. Why would he? Plenty of experienced coaches have had their reputations trashed by our system. We need to change and we need to be changed by guys with the balls and record to stand up to toxic interferers

Agreed. Someone needed to come in and have the guts to virtually wipe the slate clean. Get rid of the dead wood and start again. Otherwise we were destined for continued years of mediocrity.
Agree with the sentiment but it is worth noting that Sayers was on the same board that saw Ratten sacked, Malthouse, Bolton and now Teague come and go. Did he vote for these changes? Is he really part of a substantive change or one of the people who are responsible for the mess we are in?
Ive not been his biggest fan of his early tenure as president but will be more than happy to eat my words if he pulls a rabbit or two out of his hat in the next month. Only time will tell.

Agree with the sentiment but it is worth noting that Sayers was on the same board that saw Ratten sacked, Malthouse, Bolton and now Teague come and go.

Sayers may well have voted for previous appointments and sackings...who knows. But I will say there's a big difference between being on a Board to being President and in control of the Board.

The same board or the same type?

Depends on who is there still and what they bring

It is clear this is predominantly Sayers here and he will be gone in 3-4 years regardless. Mathieson will be gone within 3.

Not sure that Kinnersley or Campbell should be attributed with failures of the past, and the new 4 certainly get a fresh start.

People stepping down from the board before that point, yeah sure, but it still depends on who is replacing them.

We need clear minded and transparent people who have the network to keep sponsors coming in. They need to think and act professionally. Passion alone does not cut it.

Same type. As an outside I am hoping that we aren't seeing different faces, same operators, that's my concerns. If that happens we need a board spill. At this stage, things look different but whether they are is something we will wait to find out.

Agree with the last sentiment that is for sure. So important.

What I am interested to see is how open eared we are with our football department. I get the feeling a good board is one who knows they don't know a lot about football, they stick to what they know and trust and listen to their football experts. Seems we have lacked in this area for a long while. The moment you have people on the board disagreeing with the coach or Greg Williams or Lloyd (if still there) etc we know we have problems.

I think unity within the whole club and trust needs to be seen. Trust our experts. Also staying within our borders is a must. Can't have a CEO meddling with recruiting for example.

How do you feel about this? Do you think we have different operators or just different faces?

Agree with the sentiment but it is worth noting that Sayers was on the same board that saw Ratten sacked, Malthouse, Bolton and now Teague come and go. Did he vote for these changes? Is he really part of a substantive change or one of the people who are responsible for the mess we are in?
Ive not been his biggest fan of his early tenure as president but will be more than happy to eat my words if he pulls a rabbit or two out of his hat in the next month. Only time will tell.
Translation

If we win some games and play well I will like Sayers. If we don't I won't.

And thats really as deep i as it gets around here despite the plethora of words that attempt to seem informed.

I agree. Its too soon to judge Sayers. One thing we know is that to make changes , people have to be sacked; That part we cant be surprised or critical about. The real difference will be the philosophy of the appointments and how those appointments are supported with ancillary staff and real support
For me the tell Sayers meant business was that the minute he and MLG agreed on the transition, Sayers went bang and started an independent footy dept review immediately. IMO, he has probably been suggesting it for a while but has been shot down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Translation

And thats really as deep i as it gets around here despite the plethora of words that attempt to seem informed.
Agree far too many Navy Blue dreams have crashed in past two decades an absurdly long time to get our Modus Operanti well synchronized for wining, CFC have no choice but to accept the stinging cynicism, until supporters see the light, again.

Translation

That's a particularly dismissive interpretation of a what I thought was a reasonable comment, but suit yourself.

Sayers has been on the board since 2012. He would have been in every discussion and vote concerning the future of the club at board level for nearly a decade. He's not blameless in our current situation. He may not have been behind the wheel but he was a passenger. Did he not have a voice on the board, thats a long time to sit quietly on the bus and not ask questions about the direction they were heading if he wasnt happy?

In any case he has taken charge and has made some serious cuts. We wait to see what the replacements will look like. On that, we are currently without a CEO, a senior coach, 3 assistants and possibly a head of football. We have been all but constant source of pity or ridicule in the footy world. I think it has been messy and protracted. When i speak to my circle of footy friends, be they Carlton or opposition supporters, they tend to agree. On this board, there seems to be very little tolerance for this view. Again, I think it is good to discuss this.

All ventures are ultimately judged on their success or failure. I wish it is a success.

Did he not have a voice on the board, thats a long time to sit quietly on the bus and not ask questions about the direction they were heading if he wasnt happy?

What a strange assumption to make. Why would you assume he was sitting quietly and not asking questions given, as you said immediately afterwards:

In any case he has taken charge and has made some serious cuts.

He didn't wake up the morning after he took the reins and have an epiphany that we were shite. It was clear that he knew where we were at and that significant change was needed, and immediately started enacting a plan to make those changes.

I don't really give a s**t if he was on the board that sacked Ratten, hired Malthouse, sacked Malthouse, hired Bolton, sacked Bolton, hired Teague, sacked Teague...because I have no understanding of a) his views on those decision at the time they were made, b) the lessons he has learnt from those decisions being made, and c) the state of play and context when those decisions were made (in regards to alternative options, how various candidates presented vs others).

Sometimes you hire someone who is the right choice at the time, but over time it comes apart (Bolton). Sometimes you hire someone who says all the right things in the right ways, and only later do you discover they misrepresented themselves or their intentions (Malthouse). Sometimes you just don't have a great pool of candidates to choose from, and you hire the best looking one in the hopes they come good (Teague).

You can choose to believe that Sayers history with the club indicates he's "part of the problem". Or you can choose to believe he's a high performing professional who was in a voluntary role on the board, answering to another president, has seen first-hand the mistakes that have been made before and learnt from them, and since the minute he took over has been an agent for significant and ambitious change.

Will never defend Tommy but it is unusual for a football club board member to be paid.
Sayers doesn't play by the norms ... for better or for worse.
Outside the cap? -- probably the position Lewis and leppitsch were approached to do without fully showing there hand-- in any company directors can be remunerated depend on the constitution I suppose

One of Sayers first priorities was to stop the leaks. Read the riot act to the whole club if reports are to be believed. Last couple of weeks have seen nothing, zero coming ot of the club.

Typical Carlton response. Play the man. He was the last coach to win a final at Carlton. Remember that night?? He can rest on his laurels.
Please. That was the year after he took over from Ratten. We actually finished 9th (compared to 5th in the prior year under Ratten) and snuck into 8th because of the drug scandal. If Malthouse considers that a successful year under his stewardship, they are some pretty loose laurels to rest on

That's a particularly dismissive interpretation of a what I thought was a reasonable comment, but suit yourself.

Sayers has been on the board since 2012. He would have been in every discussion and vote concerning the future of the club at board level for nearly a decade. He's not blameless in our current situation. He may not have been behind the wheel but he was a passenger. Did he not have a voice on the board, thats a long time to sit quietly on the bus and not ask questions about the direction they were heading if he wasnt happy?

In any case he has taken charge and has made some serious cuts. We wait to see what the replacements will look like. On that, we are currently without a CEO, a senior coach, 3 assistants and possibly a head of football. We have been all but constant source of pity or ridicule in the footy world. I think it has been messy and protracted. When i speak to my circle of footy friends, be they Carlton or opposition supporters, they tend to agree. On this board, there seems to be very little tolerance for this view. Again, I think it is good to discuss this.

All ventures are ultimately judged on their success or failure. I wish it is a success.
not personal mate

just a bit of an ironic mindset ..and its pretty spot on if you think about it...winners are grinners

Last edited:
One of Sayers first priorities was to stop the leaks. Read the riot act to the whole club if reports are to be believed. Last couple of weeks have seen nothing, zero coming ot of the club.
except for the rumours about Cook coming and Liddle going which sparked last week’s resolution … what’s good for the goose not always good for the gander?

We've had 20 years of being a laughing stock. And now Sayers is having a good go at fixing s**t up. If he fails, it'll be another in the litany of failure.

And you're whining that he's not providing you your cookie on the media's preferred timeline (instantly, and while giving Teaguey and Liddle a Dutch rudder on their way out).

He is trying to execute a revolution in personnel and mindset at CFC. This is a sensitive operation, trying to recruit several major industry players with the season still on, with things needing to happen in a particular sequence. And we're in the fog of war, with disinformation coming from club staff, board members, managers and media in service of Sayers' agenda and those of 20 other parties.

What a strange assumption to make. Why would you assume he was sitting quietly and not asking questions given, as you said immediately afterwards:

He didn't wake up the morning after he took the reins and have an epiphany that we were sh*te. It was clear that he knew where we were at and that significant change was needed, and immediately started enacting a plan to make those changes.

I don't really give a sh*t if he was on the board that sacked Ratten, hired Malthouse, sacked Malthouse, hired Bolton, sacked Bolton, hired Teague, sacked Teague...because I have no understanding of a) his views on those decision at the time they were made, b) the lessons he has learnt from those decisions being made, and c) the state of play and context when those decisions were made (in regards to alternative options, how various candidates presented vs others).

Sometimes you hire someone who is the right choice at the time, but over time it comes apart (Bolton). Sometimes you hire someone who says all the right things in the right ways, and only later do you discover they misrepresented themselves or their intentions (Malthouse). Sometimes you just don't have a great pool of candidates to choose from, and you hire the best looking one in the hopes they come good (Teague).

You can choose to believe that Sayers history with the club indicates he's "part of the problem". Or you can choose to believe he's a high performing professional who was in a voluntary role on the board, answering to another president, has seen first-hand the mistakes that have been made before and learnt from them, and since the minute he took over has been an agent for significant and ambitious change.
Being an agent of change doesn’t mean anything if it’s not the right change.

except for the rumours about Cook coming and Liddle going which sparked last week’s resolution … what’s good for the goose not always good for the gander?

Im not sure they qualify as leaks from the club post Sayers appointment. Liddell going was always speculation once the review had been commissioned, as was Lloyd, Teague, and just about everyone else in the football department.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back