Football in Australia is Failing

Remove this Banner Ad

DangerIsLove

Cancelled
Oct 23, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Look Australian Football is failing to be Honest. The FFA have no structure or plan in place to help Australian football become a bigger league, there is a salary cap which hinders teams from signing big players. We should be aiming to become an MLS style league, legends come to retire. Essien, Drogba, Terry should be coming to Australia to retire and finish there careers. This is what we need to aim for. The players pathway system is also floored. Skilleroos, especiallly in some states is a floored programs for rubbish kids to wear their state badge and brag about how good they are. If anything Skilleroos must be deemed a failure. There must be radical improvement to develop a player pathway system that will allow players to reach their maximum potential. FFA need to sort it out. The women's AFL is getting 25K plus crowds, meanwhile our women struggle to get 200. Have the women as curtain raisers to the men
Gallop out, Every Lowy person out, Australian Football needs a radical rebirth.
What do you think

Last edited:
Which game did the AFLW get 30k people too?

Honestly, having a blow in that I've never seen post on this forum before shitting on the game isn't likely to create a lot of interest or replies.

People that follow the game know the issues, and they are regularly discussed on this forum.

On the ridiculous conspiracy theories? Well they haven't been discussed, and I suspect it's for a very good reason.

Come back when you have something constructive to add sunshine.

Which game did the AFLW get 30k people too?

Honestly, having a blow in that I've never seen post on this forum before shitting on the game isn't likely to create a lot of interest or replies.

People that follow the game know the issues, and they are regularly discussed on this forum.

On the ridiculous conspiracy theories? Well they haven't been discussed, and I suspect it's for a very good reason.

Come back when you have something constructive to add sunshine.

The AFLW had 26K inside and about 4K were tunrned away because it was full. And as for the conspiracy theories it's true about Frank Lowy.
Anyway let's forget about that my main concern is with the youth player pathway program we aren't developing good enough talent

Fox Sports reported 24k inside and 1k turned away. So you're only out by a lazy 5k, or 20% :rolleyes:

In my time of following the A-League it's getting better in most aspects each year.
The FFA have their issues sure but developing a top level football league was always going to be a slow burn in Australia.
Where people are so ingrained in AFL, Rugby and Cricket.

Another thing i've noticed is not a fault of the league itself.
It's that Australian sporting culture requires their games to have constant action and scoring.
I was watching the A-League at work once on my break and it was very awkward as the people in the room
acted like i was an alien for watching soccer and they wanted the cricket on.
They said ''kanga soccer is boring''

i hate cricket

Another thing i've noticed is not a fault of the league itself.
It's that Australian sporting culture requires their games to have constant action and scoring.
I was watching the A-League at work once on my break and it was very awkward as the people in the room
acted like i was an alien for watching soccer and they wanted the cricket on.
They said ''kanga soccer is boring''

i hate cricket
We've grown up with AFL, and in this generation a dominant cricket side so I guess that's where it comes from. There's generally more going on in those games and will appeal more to the kids brought up with it.

IMO it'll be another 5-10 where the kids brought up with the A League start to flourish, its really only become mainstream here in that time.

I wouldn't say it's failing quite the opposite - generally seems to be growing season on season in most areas and improving across the board. The MLS has a good decade on the A League (launched in 1993, A League in 2004 IIRC) too and prior to the current 'boom' period it's experiencing, had a pretty slow and steady progression - much like our shores, football was trying to get a foothold in a very competitive sports market.

The FFA isn't perfect and there is a lot they could be doing better IMO - but you could also say the same of the AFL and probably just about every other major sporting body both in Australia and around the globe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It needs to be more inclusive and that is one of my only gripes.

Can see why it's been so tough to get a seat at the table due to the fact that crooks like Labozetta, Afkos etc completely destroyed the game.

Let the EPL lite die.. No culture shite that it is.

Why? Do you not want to see the game grow in popularity and following here locally?

No I don't , I just want Aus to be a feeder country for people of euro heritage

haha ok fair enough
784.jpg

Aside from the base-level flinging in here, there's definitely a dialogue within people who have tracked the game in this country for a decade plus that the competition is stagnating and the national team is falling behind. I tend to agree. People had a hard-on for the guys coming through after the World Cup 2006 class retired. From those guys we've seen nothing but mediocrity. I had mates who tried telling me guys like Tommy Oar* and Mat Ryan and whoever else were going to end up bossing it and be playing weekly for Atletico Madrid by 26. Ha.

I never really bought into the idea that the A-League rewarded mediocrity, either through the relative stability of clubs (ie one being axed every five years odd, and not clubs folding mid-season), the lack of promotion or relegation, or the reality people can make a steady 70 grand for the rest of their career 'at home' instead of having a make or bust professional life. Who knows.

Fact is the Socceroos are s**t. Of course Aussies are up against it overseas, with even Americans having more respect and an easier time slipping into a first eleven. But what's happening? Rogic won't sign for Arsenal one day. Bet Mooy won't even get to Everton. Mat Ryan is doomed to a life in Austria and Holland, what's happening?

And yeah I think it's been confirmed the whole plastic, one-for-all system Lowy chose (one team, one town) doesn't work. Will the Big Bash be this strong in ten years without expansion? Even then it's a little different... fairly different players season to season, shorter season, way more popular and widespread sport. But when the bigwigs are currently saying the current format is unsustainable and the system drastically needs changing, what kind of comp is this supposed to be? This idea was supposed to be the one that was tight, taut, and easy to manage. It ain't. Expanding the comp was the idea to get the comp some zing and excitement, now it's been seen as the death rattle. * me.

Pretty obvious they ****ed this from day dot. Who knows the system. Who knows.

*This guy is so, so, so, so s**t. One of the softest players I have ever seen. He holds onto the ball far too long, is way too much of a follower, he doesn't read the play and loves playing the ball backwards... he can't make runs, he can't play the ball onto someone... he is almost the complete opposite of what a winger would be. Old Matthew Leckie used to take the game on and have some heart, seems that's been coached out of him too.

I think it's mainly due to the fact that the FFA want to keep the league as competitive as possible by enforcing a salary cap. IMO we should scrap the salary cap and just have Victory, City, Sydney and Western sydney dominate the league. At least we would get some great players in Australia. It would also alow us to compete better in the champions league. It might also draw more kids into the game therefor helping our national team generations to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back