Football in Australia is Failing

Remove this Banner Ad

It definetly has its pros and cons. The no-cap scenario that you suggest is likely to play out but it could also open up more overseas investment in our clubs.

We will fall behind if the status quo remains.

I think it's crap that A league clubs can't transfer between eachother.

It's even more farcical that npl player transfers to A league is capped for peanuts.

The system is broken, the ffa have very little interest in growing the game, as long as 40-50k turn up to the Melb and Sydney derbies that's all they care about. To them it's all about image, very little substance unfortunately.

As long as there's a cap there shouldn't be transfers between clubs because there's no real need for it, City would just buy everyone.

The NPL rule is a joke mind you. I get that in the first few years you need financial limits so clubs don't burn out but after 12 years it seems a bit of a joke.

the bozza/rudan video is spot on. 7k for npl to a league is absolutely farcical. there's bigger fees for sanfl players to move between clubs, and sanfl clubs used to get 50k for draftees to the afl (may or may not be the case).

1500 for peacock's kid, who i presume isn't too old, to play for his local is appalling.

I've been saying this for years. I used to play both footy and soccer growing up and the difference in organisation and cost was huge.

My soccer team played on average pitches with an open sewer nearby, and when we went to my footy club to train the costs went up. I was 14 and paying $300, and the organisation was bog average. At Auskick it was $40 a year and then when I got to a club in later high school it was no more than $110.

The big kicker is having to pay to represent your region or state for soccer... and the fact there is absolute 0 pathways for country kids to try and climb into the vision of scouts. It's just impossible.

It's only now that people are realising the ludicrous costs is what turns people off. Our finest future talents are the African kids who come here, and they can't afford it... they're too busy in local parks or having no guidelines in life and getting into s**t like scummy, low level petty boredom crime. It makes me angry. The greatest legacy Frank Lowy could leave would be a kitty to subsidies soccer – imagine if it was free for under 12s and then $100 or under from then on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back