Opinion Football in the future

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL and TV are going to find out this year how important the fans are to the game...
Games with no crowds...soulless...
Building the national comp with new teams is worthless without fan backing...
And growing a fan base for a plastic franchise is an expensive and futile pipe dream...
Tassie first! GCS last!!

absolutely as I said follow the money, and when the networks realise no campaigners are watching , they will pressure Gilligan to pressure govt to let the crowds back, no campaigner wants to watch good coast vs lol norf etc

No crowds inferior product, and people will switch off, lots of people are finding that without the footy they do other things, and that can become a habit.

we were brought up when the weekend comes around we go to the footy, it may be 12 to 18 months before we start doing that and the nillenuals find other things to do

No crowds inferior product, and people will switch off, lots of people are finding that without the footy they do other things, and that can become a habit.

we were brought up when the weekend comes around we go to the footy, it may be 12 to 18 months before we start doing that and the nillenuals find other things to do

It's not one thing or the other though..... it's not that black and white. I'm a bit surprised you, a ripping poster here in Qld, are feeling like that - I tend to find most people in Qld are fairly grateful for their footy, in whatever guise it is delivered. Equally I don't expect everyone to be as grateful as me (someone who would have to wait until Monday's Melb Sun to be delivered by plane to a Bundaberg Newsagent as a special order to get the scores from the weekend and a round up of how it all went down - back in 1982!

But to predict people (collectively) will switch off - sorry I don't buy that. Yes there will be a drop off, but it will be the lesser, not the greater.

I'll support - I want to give the AFL every chance to get back to something like what we had - whenever that might be.

It's not one thing or the other though..... it's not that black and white. I'm a bit surprised you, a ripping poster here in Qld, are feeling like that - I tend to find most people in Qld are fairly grateful for their footy, in whatever guise it is delivered. Equally I don't expect everyone to be as grateful as me (someone who would have to wait until Monday's Melb Sun to be delivered by plane to a Bundaberg Newsagent as a special order to get the scores from the weekend and a round up of how it all went down - back in 1982!

But to predict people (collectively) will switch off - sorry I don't buy that. Yes there will be a drop off, but it will be the lesser, not the greater.

I'll support - I want to give the AFL every chance to get back to something like what we had - whenever that might be.
At least you got your herald sun on a Monday , in lae and Port Moresby I had to wait till the following Friday , and in those days we only had AFRTS so American sport, I’m not suggesting that everyone will drop off but there will be numbers, after all who wants to watch the gws vs carltooon game

At least you got your herald sun on a Monday , in lae and Port Moresby I had to wait till the following Friday , and in those days we only had AFRTS so American sport, I’m not suggesting that everyone will drop off but there will be numbers, after all who wants to watch the gws vs carltooon game

Sorry I meant to say Monday's Sun on a Tuesday afternoon (2-3pm):) Much better than your much northern areas admittedly. But that just reinforces what I was saying. Who would watch GWS and Carlton? - well this week I would! I would come home from a job possibly, if I could too. But if there are 8 other games that week, probably not, but I know Carlton and GWS supporters that definitely would. Simply can't compare supporting your own team to watching other teams play, it's a nonsense retort and capable of hundreds of permutations anyway - we don't have a enough time and will for arguments about "what about B and J?"

Have a weekend in Noosa when one of the Tiges games are on - well go to the Village Noosa Hotel and watch it on the screens there, * we might even be pissed enough to watch the next game as well - could even be GWS v Carlton:eek::tonguewink:

Sorry I meant to say Monday's Sun on a Tuesday afternoon (2-3pm):) Much better than your much northern areas admittedly. But that just reinforces what I was saying. Who would watch GWS and Carlton? - well this week I would! I would come home from a job possibly, if I could too. But if there are 8 other games that week, probably not, but I know Carlton and GWS supporters that definitely would. Simply can't compare supporting your own team to watching other teams play, it's a nonsense retort and capable of hundreds of permutations anyway - we don't have a enough time and will for arguments about "what about B and J?"

Have a weekend in Noosa when one of the Tiges games are on - well go to the Village Noosa Hotel and watch it on the screens there, fu** we might even be pissed enough to watch the next game as well - could even be GWS v Carlton:eek::tonguewink:
I will take you up on that when stuff re opens, mind you I have an 85 inch tv and a well stocked bar

I will take you up on that when stuff re opens, mind you I have an 85 inch tv and a well stocked bar

Bring it along, if we get kicked out of the pub, we'll hook up to power somewhere (or solar) and still celebrate the Mighty Tiges!

Last edited:
First it was all about people’s health , now it’s all about the money, nrl crowds back July , AFL we will allow a crowd into the grand final, but 30000. Guess what the corporates get.......follow the money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First it was all about people’s health , now it’s all about the money, nrl crowds back July , AFL we will allow a crowd into the grand final, but 30000. Guess what the corporates get.......follow the money
25k corporates im guessing and 2.5k tiger army 2.5k carltoon fans

AFL is not better without crowds. I haven't found anyone who prefers things this way.

Habits of a lifetime take more than one season to break, though, so I don't see this season becoming a disaster. It might be a bit of a dud, though...
No crowds shortened games....../

AFL is not better without crowds. I haven't found anyone who prefers things this way.

Habits of a lifetime take more than one season to break, though, so I don't see this season becoming a disaster. It might be a bit of a dud, though...
honestly, who has said that "AFL is better without crowds"... I haven't heard a single person with this opinion haha

shithouse without crowds ,tis like a dead set pricked balloon, hopefully common sense prevails and some knucklehead concedes to the fact that no outbreaks have Been linked to an outdoor event in the free world and exhibit A T20 final with 86,000 that included an infected person lead to how many more ???? *en none is the answer , it’s called the inconvenient truth

honestly, who has said that "AFL is better without crowds"... I haven't heard a single person with this opinion haha

Lol, yeah, poorly put.

What I had in my mind is what I've heard from people who like rugby league. A couple couldn't care less about the lack of crowds. Everyone I've talked to about it are more upset about the lack of certainty about Origin.

No crowds shortened games....../

Yeah, shorter games can GAGF.

I still reckon the AFL have a few years up their sleeve before they do real damage to their popularity with their bullshit. Aussie Rules is something people do. Most people who pay for AFL memberships, tickets, merch, also go to the local footy to watch their neighbour play, or coach a junior team, or volunteer in the canteen, or something. That's not going to change quickly, no matter what the AFL dish up in the short term.

Crowds >> No crowds >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> No footy

the future of football - jets packs , imagine the Dusty fend offs LOL

The AFL is the top of the Aussie rules pyramid
what will happen to the pyramid ?

starting with Auskick and low age juniors
it is a thing with them to have them up and running around the start of the season
and in ? March , community week , Clubs send players to Auskick venues , trainings etc
and it does create some hype and starts that process of getting young tackers hooked on our game and getting them aligned with clubs

I have seen Auskick clinics with low numbers and Under age teams with low numbers that then carry thru to U18's
clearly some kids are lost to the game , it is a competitive market

Big centralised Auskick centres and larger junior clubs will most likely survive ok
but smaller centres that rely on a very small number of people are at risk

then older junior footy
as our kids go thru their teens the participation rates do drop off for all sporting codes
a couple of big reasons are getting jobs (think Maccers ) and getting girlfriends
the nation wide junior AFL participation creates a pool that talent scouts pick off the better kids
and get them into rep sides and talented player programs
this disruption , which could reach into 2021 and beyond , will lower participation somewhat and will interrupt the rep season and TPP's
another downer will be the preception that there is big money in sport , more parents will pressure kids to study more and give sport less priority

a lot of junior and local low grade clubs needs local small business(especially pubs) sponsorship to survive
so many are hurting so bad there will greatly reduced sponsorship at this low level

all major sporting codes will suffer , people have been made to fill their lives with other stuff and some wont return some wont return straight away
that will affect players numbers
that will affect code and club loyalty , game attendance which then impact sponsors

the game will survive at all levels , its too good a product not too
but it will take a bit hit and will take some years to get back to 2019 levels
some small clubs at all levels will go under
representatives comps and TTP's with be cut back ( they all take money)

and with the AFL will this make the big clubs stronger and the small ones weaker ?
I fear it might and the timing might be good for us , because our playing list is strong and deep, our off field affairs are in such good shape and our member/supporter base is so big
the test for our club will be can we reshape ourselves to match the reduced revenue stream quickly to stay strong and organised in the new world ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back