PC Football Manager 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow......Just Wow........

As you can guess from the above, we choked that last match to lose at home to 17th by 1-0. That meant we were 3rd(etc a playoff, probably unwinnable TBH) coming into the last game and having to hope the teams above me, Arad and Chindia T, drop points in the last match to get into the auto promotion places. CT are playing Alexandria(16th and relegated) while Arad are playing 20th(etc that team which is really poor yet I seem unable to beat)

We take the lead in the first min but not long after; both CT and Arad score and we drop down to 3rd. Then we get complacent(IDIOTS!!!) and it becomes 1-1 not long after that. Then we proceeded to get our ass kicked for the next 50 mins. By halftime, we are 4th and I am kinda happy about that as I really wanted the pain to end. Both CT and Arad are winning 3-1 so I stop looking at the score updates. It is over. I decide to go overload and just go gung-ho. Nothing to lose, nothing else is working.

It doesn't work and we continue to be saved by our keeper. Then something shocking happens on the hour mark. A high press by us, a turnover in the box, a cross to the young 20-year-old, who is only in the team because I forced to play 3 under 22 players, and he slams it past the keeper for his first goal of the year. He plays as an AM/IF/bench, so it is about damn time...

2-1 up, and then the green bar indicates that I am now 2nd on the table. what the. So I proceed to look into the latest scores to see what is happening. It takes me minutes to find out what is happening as I don't know who any of these teams are and I just can't understand who is playing who. When I figure it out, I see that Arad has conceded 2 goals in 15 mins to the bottom-placed team and are now drawing 3-3.

If we concede now, our season will end in failure and 4th. Win and our season ends in success, but only if the worst professional team in Romania continues to hold against Arad. I go defensive, and we continue to get our asses kicked. But we hold like bitches and somehow, someway get the undeserved win. And I continue to watch the latest events tab and panic each time I see a goal as I can't read Romanian. But nothing happens. They don't score again. It finishes 3-3. We finish 2nd and are promoted.

I can't understate how much of a shock that Arad failing to beat the worst team is. Arad are the best defenders in the league and have only conceded 27 in the 38 games and has never conceded more than 3. CSM Lug(20th) are just the worst. Just how....Guess we aren't the only chokers in Romania.
2018-08-17.png
well, the season could be going better. The good news is that I have beaten the teams around me and we started the season with 4 points in 2 games. The bad news is that means we have 3 points in 10 games and lost to any half decent teams. Lets not talk about what the decent teams do to us.

The champs last year in div 2 are last so its tough jump up. I was playing against Seb Larsson in the last match. I might post my best player next update for a comparison. Every team talk, the Assman is basically telling me to say, "Well done boys, you tried hard and played well, you were unlucky to lose it 3-0", and the players love that.

The thing is, the league splits after 26 games into 2 groups(relegation and promotion). And we only keep half the points we earned in those first 26 games. So basically, as long as we keep within 10 points of 4th bottom, we are a real chance of safety, as long as we keep beating the teams around us(though we might need to beat more than 2 teams). We would only be 2 games off safetly(5 points). Easy

Thing is, we have been in so many games before we either concede a soft goal(mostly because of Nadal) or fail to take our chances. One game, we had 8 half chances and 4 clear cut and we lost the match 1-0. It hasn't helped my main forward has been injured for 2 months.

Last edited:
Swear there's something built into the game where you are guaranteed to start playing poorly if you stay on one tactic for too long.
Yeah, I think so. Think of it as becoming too predictable to opposition managers, you get "found out". Whether the engine just punishes you or opponents actually change tactics I'm not too sure. One would hope the second, easier to code the first.

That's been a "feature" of FM/CM for as long as I can remember

I can and do use one tactic for an entire career in FM15.

Picked up the 18 version in August and it’s been pretty enjoyable so far.

I like starting in the lower leagues in the UK so I kicked off with York City in the VLN.

Took a little while getting used to but played a lot of friendlies and utilised a 4-2-4 as I had alright AML & AMR mids so I utilised them in this.

As a side recently relegated there were some pretty big expectations on us, we did start slowly with a bit of lacking quality.

After about 6-8 games I decided to loan a few players following some heavy scouting.

Some other threads gave advice on some recommended players but my scouts didn’t agree with them.

Who I did utilise came in handy; Maddison as a young GK on loan. Very solid and had strong shot stopping ability.

Mols & Hardcastle both as CM from Blackburn which really strengthened my midfield.

I only made one actual signing on wages during the season who was also a CM at L2 quality at 23.

I had a real consistent run of results and made 1st round of the FA Cup and the final of the FA trophy beating some opposition from VL in the tier above.

Anyway for the least 10 games it was neck and neck with Salford.

I stumbled with a few games left and was dealt with mission impossible for automatic promotion.

Salford were 6pts ahead with about +5 on GD it looked out of reach.

I win the next game comfortably and they lose.

Then the next game I hung on for a 2-1 win and they lose as well.

So leading into the last match they had superior GD and I needed a win and them not to win.

I came in strongly with a 2-0 lead and HT and see they are down 1-0 to a mid table side, surely the impossible can happen.

FT and my players are splattered with confetti, very satisfying outcome to a consistent season.

I had pretty strong depth but I have to thank my physio for a great year. I rarely had any major injuries or mid-long terms issues with key players which helped with the strong results.

Also pretty proud that I retained the squad and didn’t overspend on players for the sake of it.

Started a career with Portland in the MLS, got the sack for losing the MLS Cup Final, signed in the A-League, and this is half time in my first game... wtf (I’m adelaide thank god)

IMG_1755.JPG

Dodgy lasagna? :p

They probably did their pre-season training with Collective Minds! They lost their next game after that 11-0 to Wellington Phoenix, and after the first 5 games had a goal difference of -39. But then turned it around and made the finals under some new Dutch manager o_O Beat me 4-2 the next time we played haha

So i need to stop hiring international champions as assistant coaches... never works out for me. If anyone remembers my story with Barnet and John Terry, i just had another one completely take the cake.

Meet Tom Brown.
23, an ex-sunday league footballer from Palmerston, NT who got lucky after an accidental job application on Seek and managed to snag a 3 month gig with Portland Timbers in the MLS. Portland started the year well but lost their manager and fell desperately down to the bottom spot in the playoff contention. Queue Brown coming along and saving the day, leading them to a playoff gig, only to lose his job to the incoming Carlo Ancellotti. After 2 months of being unemployed, a winless Adelaide United hired him to take over the club with 8 games to go. Winning 6 games from the last 8, Adelaide snuk to 9th and the future looked bright. Cue absolute glory for the next 2.5 years.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

3 FFA Cups, 2 Minor Prems, 2 GF wins, an Asian Champions League Final win, and then to top it off, we beat America in the Club World Championship

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Not even the morning after celebrating success in the World Cup, i was sacked for my assistant Tim Cahill. Talk about high expectations

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Has anyone else downloaded the Long World Cup mod in the steam workshop for FM18? Someone has designed a World Cup which lasts the best part of a year and starts off with 225 national sides battling it out in the first of six rounds before a final is played. The tournament is set out as follows:

- First round: 15 groups of 15 teams. Everyone plays everyone in their group once. Top eight in each group advance.
- Second round: 12 groups of 10 teams. Everyone plays everyone in their group once. Top six in each group + next 8 best teams advance.
- Third round: 10 groups of 8 teams. Teams play each other in their group once. Top four in each group advance.
- Fourth round: 10 groups of 4 teams. Teams play each other in their group once. Top 2 in each group advance.
- Fifth round: Knockout games. Winners advance.
- Sixth round: One group of 10 teams. Teams play each other once. Top 2 teams play in final.
- Final.

Quite funny in the first round seeing match-ups like Brazil vs East Timor or Germany vs American Samoa.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much wtf in that story.
- Carlo Ancelotti in the MLS? :eek:
- AFC vs CONCACAF in the World Cup Final? o_O
- Getting sacked the day after winning the World Club Cup with Adelaide ******* United? :drunk:

Also, not a fan of the potato screenies :p

haha yeah i need to learn how to take proper screenshots :p America beat Man City 2-1 in the semi, couldn't believe it. Certainly wouldn't have beaten them!

Very random career, thats for sure. Ancelotti in the MLS, Maradona took over Brisbane Roar the same time i joined Adelaide and won them the GF, bombed out the next season, half the team left and then he got sacked. They then had a first team made up of 17-18 year olds and were getting pumped each week. Australia are gearing up to host the 2022 World Cup after Qatar were stripped of it. I think John Terry is manager of Hampton & Richmond (well he was during the season, haven't checked since the off season) and Lampard signed with Scampaignerhorpe.
Cahill managed to win the A-League and the GF after my sacking, and looks like making a fairly decent crack at the ACL (2 wins, 2 losses and sitting second).

After copping the sack, I took a few months off and have signed on with Czech 2nd Division side, Opava. Managed to snag Baba on loan, who i'd sold to Slavia Prague in the previous off season. Sneaking towards a potential playoff spot, need to win my last 3 games to qualify. I applied for a ton of teams in England after losing the gig with Adelaide, and only 2 teams offered me interviews. Chelmsford, who were in Vanarama South League, dead last, in administration, with about 5 games left. Safe to say i rejected that. And then randomly Sheffield United offered me an interview. Whilst League 1 was attractive, being a Sheffield Wednesday in real life means i'd never want to help United in any way, even in a game haha

haha yeah i need to learn how to take proper screenshots :p
Windows Key + Print Screen automatically saves an image to your pictures folder

Alt + Prt Sc will copy whatever is in your front window (if you're using multiple screens or are playing in windowed) to the clipboard which I believe can be directly copied into Imgur

;)

Windows Key + Print Screen automatically saves an image to your pictures folder

Alt + Prt Sc will copy whatever is in your front window (if you're using multiple screens or are playing in windowed) to the clipboard which I believe can be directly copied into Imgur

;)

haha thank you. Will make sure my next story rant includes proper screenshots :$

Is it just me or are most of the "new features" being touted for FM19 either things that were already in the game but moved around to be more obvious/accessible or just skin related?

Seems like the tactics screen and training are the only things that have been added (besides all the purple)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back