Football Manager 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't had a computer good enough to play FM for ages but thanks to COVID and working at home I bought a desktop.

Kicking around as Lleyton Orient in league two and my scouts recommended me a 38 year old Scottish midfielder.

His name, Mark Kerr.

Was an absolute beast of a young player circa FM 2002. Strong nostalgia right there.

Downloaded a bunch of graphics for FM21 like logos, facepacks and the like, and was looking through the logos and noticed one for a team called FC Santa Claus. Googled them and apparently they're in the 5th Division in Finland. Once folks get cracking on modifying the database to include a whole bunch of lower leagues, I might start a save using them. :)

My first save on FM is always with Atletico Madrid.

Started with the first transfer window disabled to keep squads are as they are IRL, so the fact Atleti has no transfer budget makes no difference. Downloaded a 4-4-2 tactic from FM-Base which is absolutely insane in its goal scoring ability and had me on top of the league at Christmas.

Come the winter transfer window I've been given a whole £3m in funds to spend, so I set my search to upcoming free transfers and I am greeted with David Alaba, Memphis Depay, Gini Wijnaldum and Eric Garcia all available and interested, but all wanting lots of money (Garcia wouldn't even entertain a contract because "he wanted to keep his options open") - in the end I managed to sign Alaba and Wijnaldum for £175k/w and £85k/w respectively.

I got embarrassed in the Copa del Rey (Spanish version of the FA Cup) thanks to too much rotation, losing on pens to a 2nd div team in the 3rd round. However I did run away with the league thanks in large part to Joao Felix, Suarez and Diego Costa scoring a combined 54 goals in the league:
league.png

I also managed to win the Champions League
ucl.png
(No, I have no idea why Chelsea loaned Christiensen to Liverpool)

And despite all that, the club lost £34m over the season, so I obviously have basically no transfer budget for a 3rd straight window until I sell some dead weight.

Part of me wants to start a new save given how easy it was to win the league, but another wants to keep going to see how difficult it would be to get the club to be self-sustaining financially (it is projected that we'll lose £53m next year :eek: )

Last edited:
I was looking for some recommendations for right midfielders (because Man Utd offered 68m straight up for Angel Correa and I couldn't convince him to stay even if I wanted to) and I came across this amazing set of spreadsheets. I thought I'd share it here in case it'd be of use to anyone else:

I was looking for some recommendations for right midfielders (because Man Utd offered 68m straight up for Angel Correa and I couldn't convince him to stay even if I wanted to) and I came across this amazing set of spreadsheets. I thought I'd share it here in case it'd be of use to anyone else:

Savio from Atletico Mineiro.

Savio from Atletico Mineiro.
I was looking for someone that could slot into the first team right away. Instead I've bought a transfer-listed David Silva and will use him at CM and Koke and Marcos Llorente out on the wing more instead (just as Diego Simeone does).

In unrelated news, Camavinga has just been transfer-listed by request, and I'm trying to decide if its worth ponying up the 63m being asked for

I was looking for someone that could slot into the first team right away. Instead I've bought a transfer-listed David Silva and will use him at CM and Koke and Marcos Llorente out on the wing more instead (just as Diego Simeone does).

In unrelated news, Camavinga has just been transfer-listed by request, and I'm trying to decide if its worth ponying up the 63m being asked for
Yes.

I think I've accomplished all I need to in my Atleti save

2023.PNG

Completed the treble in the 3rd season, and with a team full of young players that can still develop (or at least won't begin to get worse any time soon). I've used a kinda weird 3-5-2 of my own making for the last 1.5 seasons, and of my regular starting 11, Ferran Torres (who's a 3.5 star player in my squad) is the "worst" of them

--------------- Oblak -------------
-- Nehuen - Gimenez - Garcia --
-------------- Tonali ---------------
Ferran -- Koke -- Alaba -- Evanilson
------------------------------------
---------- Felix --- Isak -----------

2023squad.PNG

Liverpool are monstrous in this, I lost the league on 91 points - they won it on 103. Insane. They were pumping teams with ease. I had a tough CL group - Juventus, Leverkusen and Bilbao. I was in big trouble after losing my first two games, and drawing the third. Somehow managed to win the remaining three and finished second - drew Barca in the last 16. Beat them 2-0 at home and then got dominated 5-2 away. They had 20 shots on target, Leno was having a blinder. I won the FA Cup, but that was it.

Liverpool bought both Sancho and Bellingham in the summer (after I unsettled Bellingham :rolleyes:), so I am going to be up against them again to try and win. Gonna be super tough.

Here is my team with ins and outs

Pires & Ilunga are regens - both 18.

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 10.26.48 am.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 10.26.55 am.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 10.27.10 am.png

Really happy to nab Gomes for 12m given that he is only 24 and English. ASM doesn't want a sign new contract, but hopefully he changes his mind and does so, he has been very good for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are people feeling about the new conditioning and fitness element of the game? I personally preferred the numerical system as opposed to the heart colour. I have not seen a way to change it back. Does anyone know if it’s possible?

How are people feeling about the new conditioning and fitness element of the game? I personally preferred the numerical system as opposed to the heart colour. I have not seen a way to change it back. Does anyone know if it’s possible?
Its not possible.

I've only played the one save with a top team so was able to rotate my squad pretty heavily (to the point I rarely started someone who wasn't at "full green"). I imagine it'd be much harder if you were in a lower league and couldn't rely on a squad of 20+

Its not possible.

I've only played the one save with a top team so was able to rotate my squad pretty heavily (to the point I rarely started someone who wasn't at "full green"). I imagine it'd be much harder if you were in a lower league and couldn't rely on a squad of 20+

I've got like 4 players that the fitness staff say are regularly jaded in League Two but they sook it up if I try to rest them so what do you do. At least with 5 subs you can rotate them a bit when they hit red in game so they don't get injured.

I've got like 4 players that the fitness staff say are regularly jaded in League Two but they sook it up if I try to rest them so what do you do. At least with 5 subs you can rotate them a bit when they hit red in game so they don't get injured.
Right click > training > rest > X Days

I’ll give it time - only played it for an hour or two so mainly set up tactics etc (I started about 1/3 of the way through the season with Sunderland in League 1) - but didn’t fall in love with the hearts.

Topsy turvy season but ended up getting promoted via the playoffs with Leyton Orient.

Loaned in a striker from QPR called Mampala and he was a boss at league two level. Knocked in 21 goals including a brace in the 1st leg of the first playoff round.

Leyton Orient have a young centre back and a young winger that will be league one standard and that is about it. Will just have to look for multi positional squad players on free transfers and then loan in a GK/DC/MC/SC for a spine I think.

Absolutely torched the Leyton Orient save. I released everyone I could basically thinking I could sign a better team on frees and of course no one would sign for me. Had to offer overs just to get a squad and even though I was still under the wage budget I was bleeding too much money a month for it to be viable.

Started a new save with Chester in conference north. Was absolutely dominating with the original squad plus 4 or 5 players on frees playing a route one tactic until it got figured out mid season and I couldn't score a goal. Ended up just scraping into 7th and making the playoffs. First playoff round I had someone sent off in the first 20 minutes, I went down 1-0 and I decide to play very defensive and get them on the return leg. Anyway I managed to get a goal on the counter in the second half. The match ends 1-1 and then proceeds to extra time, had no idea that conference playoffs were only one leg hahaha. Won on penalties and then dominated the other two playoffs to go up.

The good thing with a semi pro team is that they make money every month, the bad thing is that players don't like signing with you. I think after the first season I had a million plus in the bank and they gave me $100k transfer budget for the conference. In the conference I was getting turned down by players in the conference north / south FFS. Managed to sign Kaine Felix from Guiseley after half a dozen attempts who I had all sorts of trouble containing in the conference north. Somehow managed to get Mampala from QPR on loan and given he carved up league two on my Leyton Orient save he was just completely unstoppable at conference level. Finished a clear second behind Stockport and won through the playoffs. I've played through three playoffs between the two saves and I have to say I think the AI takes it pretty easy on you in them. I seem to play way better in them than in the league proper, perhaps it has something to do with the space between games and I have my training wrong in the season proper which affects performance when you are playing every three days IDK.

Start of the league two season and I have 2 million in the bank and an $800,000 transfer budget. Of course the only people that will sign for me are those that are transfer listed for like $20k so the budget is pretty irrelevant. Managed to get Mampala on a permanent transfer for like $25k though so that helps. At the back end of the conference season I was just hoovering up free transfer players that looked league two standard. For instance I have 5 young centre backs which had been released by championship / premiership sides. Just loaned one out straight away so they won't all start sooking about game time and I will rotate the other 4. If I get any decent offers for them it will be sell sell sell. I have done the same thing with MCs as well. They are all on one year deals at $200-$300pw so I think will work well this year. Now that I'm professional they will probably all want $1,000 a week when they come out of contract so might not be as viable. End of the day though I think a conveyor belt of under 21s is the only way I'm going to be able to stay viable with a 5,000 seat stadium.

I think the squad I have should keep me up this year. I'm only spending $14k on wages which is half my budget so have some room to move but very wary of torching this save like the Leyton Orient one so going to run the gauntlet with what I have and try and take advantage of any frees / cheap transfers that pop up in a consolidation year.

First match I outplayed Wigan and lost 4-1. They had 7 shots, 4 on target and scored 4 goals. Time for a new keeper!!!

Last edited:
I’ll give it time - only played it for an hour or two so mainly set up tactics etc (I started about 1/3 of the way through the season with Sunderland in League 1) - but didn’t fall in love with the hearts.
Ok so I love it despite the love hearts and not the numerical fitness.

After setting the world on fire with Sunderland (watching Sunderland Till I Die on Netflix) we were 2nd after about 15 games but then things turned to absolute s**t and was 18th in March with the media saying the next game will be my last.... and now I have won 5 in a row and am back up to 10th, now just 6 pts off a promotion play-off spot with 10 games or so to go.

I decided to buy the “golden generation” from the store to spice the game up a bit so I stick around with Sunderland for years to come. I have a young GK, CM, DR and AMR coming to the club next season who could be wonderkids although unfortunately their mentalities are piss-poor... they are either lazy or mean spirited so it’s a bit of a buzzkill for a golden generation.

Ok so I love it despite the love hearts and not the numerical fitness.

After setting the world on fire with Sunderland (watching Sunderland Till I Die on Netflix) we were 2nd after about 15 games but then things turned to absolute sh*t and was 18th in March with the media saying the next game will be my last.... and now I have won 5 in a row and am back up to 10th, now just 6 pts off a promotion play-off spot with 10 games or so to go.

I decided to buy the “golden generation” from the store to spice the game up a bit so I stick around with Sunderland for years to come. I have a young GK, CM, DR and AMR coming to the club next season who could be wonderkids although unfortunately their mentalities are piss-poor... they are either lazy or mean spirited so it’s a bit of a buzzkill for a golden generation.
What is this?

What is this?
It’s like $1.50... DLC.

Once you apply it, at your next youth intake you get a “golden generation” of youth prospects that comes through. You don’t get to pick positions, mentality or anything... it’s not like the “design-a-son” DLC. You get what you are given.
You still need to manage and train them... just gives you 1-3 wonderkids and another 1-3 very good players.

On one save in FM20 I copped two wonderkids goalkeepers and the 2 or 3 others wouldn’t sign with the club so Man City picked up 2 of them for free. I was livid. Worst $1.50 spent ever. In another save I got the sack before they arrived at the club so I rage quit.

Alternatively, if you don’t buy it, it’s an unlockable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back