Football Park - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So what's the story with Football Park at the moment?

I know Waverley Park was smashed to pieces before the wrecking balls finally moved in. Has it been spared that undignified fate?

It's pretty much become the John Farnham of football stadiums. Always told 'no more football matches', yet since the 2013 SANFL Grand Final (the first time they played the 'last game' line they've had (in order) numerous u/18 carnival games last year, a NAB Challenge game (where they once again trotted out the 'last time' line), the SANFL u/16's GF and another u/18's match last weekend. It's also had a Bon Jovi concert, monster trucks and a One Direction concert.

Long term the stands will come down and the Crows will have a Waverley like set up (the main oval will be public access and for Crows training).

The old man and i went there for this years pre season showdown and after the first year of footy at Adelaide oval I can confirm there's no turning back.
The difference is a cliche of chalk and cheese.

I was at Subi last Sunday and that place is the closest thing to Footy Park.
Folks in Perth will love the new stadium in 2018.

It's pretty much become the John Farnham of football stadiums. Always told 'no more football matches', yet since the 2013 SANFL Grand Final (the first time they played the 'last game' line they've had (in order) numerous u/18 carnival games last year, a NAB Challenge game (where they once again trotted out the 'last time' line), the SANFL u/16's GF and another u/18's match last weekend. It's also had a Bon Jovi concert, monster trucks and a One Direction concert.

Long term the stands will come down and the Crows will have a Waverley like set up (the main oval will be public access and for Crows training).
It was always going to get some non-AFL use afterwards. Perfect playing surface, 8 changerooms, etc would be just going to waste otherwise. By "no more football matches" most would have understood that to mean "no more AFL, or SANFL Grand Finals". That NAB Challenge game being the one exception to the rule, and the circumstances there were that all clubs are guaranteed that their last match is on an AFL-standard playing arena. With the World Cup going on there was no AO available and the AFL were tight on other venues as well.

I was wondering, when Footy Park is eventually demolished, will there be like an auction to sell remnants of the stadium (scoreboards, seats, video screens, etc)?

I know Coopers Stadium (Hindmarsh) could really use a second super screen, especially those that sit at the northern end of that ground.

I was wondering, when Footy Park is eventually demolished, will there be like an auction to sell remnants of the stadium (scoreboards, seats, video screens, etc)?

I know Coopers Stadium (Hindmarsh) could really use a second super screen, especially those that sit at the northern end of that ground.

I reckon some items could be up for auction, but I doubt the video screens would be one of those. The dot matrix scoreboard might fetch some cash from someone that wants a piece of nostalgia.

Coopers would be better off buying a new video screen if they wanted to instal a second screen rather than getting one of the old AAMI Stadium ones second hand - neither screen at AAMI was overly flash.

i hope they keep some of the stadium, turning it in to some boutique type stadium & use it for AFL or cricket matches down the track. hope they dont turn it in to what Waverley is now

i hope they keep some of the stadium, turning it in to some boutique type stadium & use it for AFL or cricket matches down the track. hope they dont turn it in to what Waverley is now
They are turning it into exactly that. Crows facilities stay. The stand joined to them as well.
The 3 training ovals become housing.

All part of the deal.
SACA get the afl at Adelaide oval.
AFL and the crows/power/fans/labour government get a new stadium.
SANFL get to develop footy park.
Everyone gets $$$$$$

I reckon some items could be up for auction, but I doubt the video screens would be one of those. The dot matrix scoreboard might fetch some cash from someone that wants a piece of nostalgia.

Coopers would be better off buying a new video screen if they wanted to instal a second screen rather than getting one of the old AAMI Stadium ones second hand - neither screen at AAMI was overly flash.
Good point there.

I wouldn't mind buying the old scoreboard & installing it in my front yard :D

The Crows facilities remain, but I believe it's the old members stand (on the opposite side of the ground) that will remain
Interesting. Would that mean the change rooms would be retained in case the SANFL decide to maybe one day hold local matches there? If so, what they should do is have grass mounds around the oval between the members stand & facilities on the eastern side.

I'd be surprised if the Crows were still there in 10 years time.
They have rent free facilities until 2048. I can see them being their until 2030, but will probably be gone by 2038.

It would be nice to see that happen, but they don't seem to do it in Australia.

If you would like a momento such as a seat, my advice would be to hang around while they are demolishing the place and pick something up that they are throwing out. In the last 12 months I've been to the Whitten Oval where there was a skip that they had chucked all of the old wooden bench seating in and I was at Morabbin last week to find things like turnstiles and old gates just sitting there on the kerb. You would be surprised at what they will chuck in the bin during a demo.

In terms of recycling, I believe some of the old aluminium seating ended up at Unley Oval? so I'm sure some of it could be reused at SANFL grounds. Australian grounds tend to sell their video screens to India, so don't be surprised to see the video screens end up over there (this is what happened with the old MCG video screens).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of recycling, I believe some of the old aluminium seating ended up at Unley Oval? so I'm sure some of it could be reused at SANFL grounds. Australian grounds tend to sell their video screens to India, so don't be surprised to see the video screens end up over there (this is what happened with the old MCG video screens).

Each SANFL club got an allocation of the old aluminium seats. Several clubs used it to replace timber seating in their grandstands (though the Jack Oatey Stand at Unley already had the aluminium seats well before they were given old AAMI Stadium seating), and a couple of other clubs used it for perimeter seating along the fence or scattered around the ground.

Interestingly Centrals has already received some of the old AAMI Stadium seating, which it has used on the outer wing and in between the interchange benches. I suspect clubs will probably receive a similar amount of the bucket seats, and I dare say a fair chunk of that will be used to replace existing seating in stands (be it timber seats or the aluminium seats that were put in various stands in 2004).

Each SANFL club got an allocation of the old aluminium seats. Several clubs used it to replace timber seating in their grandstands (though the Jack Oatey Stand at Unley already had the aluminium seats well before they were given old AAMI Stadium seating), and a couple of other clubs used it for perimeter seating along the fence or scattered around the ground.

Interestingly Centrals has already received some of the old AAMI Stadium seating, which it has used on the outer wing and in between the interchange benches. I suspect clubs will probably receive a similar amount of the bucket seats, and I dare say a fair chunk of that will be used to replace existing seating in stands (be it timber seats or the aluminium seats that were put in various stands in 2004).
A lot of local clubs (both metro and country) got a lot of them too. Few grounds in the Barossa have them

Good point there.

Yep and ideally with the scoreboard at the end of the last AFL game at Football Park.

Carlton 15.14. (104)
defeated

Pt. Adelaide 15.13. (103)

32 points down at half time and we needed to win to make the finals.
Great way to finish off the life of Football Park as an AFL game with a thriller to the end to decide the last finals spot after Essendon had been removed from rights to finals due to bringing the game into disrepute.

Good point there.

A fan of the Cincinnati Reds baseball team built a replica of their old stadium (Crosley Field) on his farm, complete with much of the infrastructure from the actual stadium. Here's a story about it.

Does the old MCG scoreboard at Manuka count?

Yep and ideally with the scoreboard at the end of the last AFL game at Football Park.

Carlton 15.14. (104)
defeated

Great way to finish off the life of Football Park as an AFL game with a thriller to the end to decide the last finals spot after Essendon had been removed from rights to finals due to bringing the game into disrepute.
The last SANFL Grand Final there was the real send off with people allowed on the field for the cup presentation.

If you would like a momento such as a seat, my advice would be to hang around while they are demolishing the place and pick something up that they are throwing out. In the last 12 months I've been to the Whitten Oval where there was a skip that they had chucked all of the old wooden bench seating in and I was at Morabbin last week to find things like turnstiles and old gates just sitting there on the kerb. You would be surprised at what they will chuck in the bin during a demo.

Of the 46 odd thousand bench seats about 10k were given to all the SANFL clubs, it was up to them what they did with them.

Carlton 15.14. (104)
defeated

We needed to lose to keep the Crows out :)

Win/Win! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back