Football Park - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A short video I filmed a couple of weeks ago (September 2017) of the current state of Footy Park, with the Northern Grandstand due to be bulldozed by March 2018

Weren't brave enough to 'souvenir' some of the seats out the back :D

Didn't realise some of the undercover seats had gone too.

Great Video, thanks for sharing that, amazing how different it looks without any seats. How did you find out that the Northern stand will be bulldozed next March?

Great Video, thanks for sharing that, amazing how different it looks without any seats. How did you find out that the Northern stand will be bulldozed next March?

SANFL president John Olsen confirmed it in the above posted link from the ABC website, the Northern Stand will be demolished by March 2018 and they are going to be building a retirement village in the area around the West Lakes Boulevard/Turner Drive intersection.

No comment about souveniring any seats :cool:

A short video I filmed a couple of weeks ago (September 2017) of the current state of Footy Park, with the Northern Grandstand due to be bulldozed by March 2018

It's great that you were able to get that sort of footage before the place gets bulldozed. One of my favourite videos on YouTube is some guy doing a similar video at Waverley before that got bulldozed. Most of the old suburban VFL grounds have had significant chunks knocked down and I would have loved to see how they looked when they were still fully intact.

Football Park is so much like Waverley. People said it before it was about to lose the AFL and now it's true. Hosts random one offs like One Direction and football games, surprisingly still has power, then there's the shape and design and the geography... a real lesson in how not to do a public opular venue.

The Channel 10 signs there are funny too... reminds me of Subi... one of those 'oh we'll move out of here soon, don't worry about it taking it down' and then it took longer and longer.

In a few years people will regret not going in there and taking stuff or at least walking around. Then again Waverley was just open for the public for a while right?

Football Park is so much like Waverley. People said it before it was about to lose the AFL and now it's true. Hosts random one offs like One Direction and football games, surprisingly still has power, then there's the shape and design and the geography... a real lesson in how not to do a public opular venue.

The Channel 10 signs there are funny too... reminds me of Subi... one of those 'oh we'll move out of here soon, don't worry about it taking it down' and then it took longer and longer.

In a few years people will regret not going in there and taking stuff or at least walking around. Then again Waverley was just open for the public for a while right?

After the last AFL season at Waverley in 1999, in 2000 Waverley hosted the Ansett Cup, VFL match of the round (held on Monday nights and broadcast on C7 Sport), VFL Grand Final and some Eastern Football League matches (EFL Grand Final was the last ever event there). Then they basically locked the gate and left it to become trashed by squatters and vandals because nobody was using it anymore.

Would have been nice to have a seat to watch training next week.
from what the video looked like, the seats are still in the members stand area, so that can hold about 12,000 people, which should be enough space if we make it, especially as the training sessions are normally at 9-10:00am, which rules out most who work and school kids won't be able to go.

from what the video looked like, the seats are still in the members stand area, so that can hold about 12,000 people, which should be enough space if we make it, especially as the training sessions are normally at 9-10:00am, which rules out most who work and school kids won't be able to go.

Yes, all of the seats in the Member's Stand are still in place. The ground is closed most of the times but the game that was on that night was the Sturt vs. South U18's semi final and there were maybe a couple of hundred people there, the top tier of the Member's Stand was open too.

After the last AFL season at Waverley in 1999, in 2000 Waverley hosted the Ansett Cup, VFL match of the round (held on Monday nights and broadcast on C7 Sport), VFL Grand Final and some Eastern Football League matches (EFL Grand Final was the last ever event there). Then they basically locked the gate and left it to become trashed by squatters and vandals because nobody was using it anymore.

It has been a similar winding down at Footy Park, the last AFL H&A game at the venue was Round 23 2013 when Carlton defeated Port Adelaide, it hosted the 2013 SANFL Grand Final between Norwood and North Adelaide, a Bon Jovi concert, A One Direction concert in early 2015 as well as a NAB Challenge Showdown match too. Since then it has hosted occasional U18's matches, the SANFL Umpires still trained there as of 2017 and of course the Adelaide Football Club have a long term lease at the venue.

The surrounding land has already started being built on, with the Crows Shed long since gone, with a BP Servo and an Aldi Supermarket now standing on that site with houses already being built on the area that was previously Max Basheer Reserve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has been a similar winding down at Footy Park, the last AFL H&A game at the venue was Round 23 2013 when Carlton defeated Port Adelaide, it hosted the 2013 SANFL Grand Final between Norwood and North Adelaide, a Bon Jovi concert, A One Direction concert in early 2015 as well as a NAB Challenge Showdown match too. Since then it has hosted occasional U18's matches, the SANFL Umpires still trained there as of 2017 and of course the Adelaide Football Club have a long term lease at the venue.

The surrounding land has already started being built on, with the Crows Shed long since gone, with a BP Servo and an Aldi Supermarket now standing on that site with houses already being built on the area that was previously Max Basheer Reserve.

The big difference between Waverley and Footy Park is the ground wasn’t left to rot for a few years before the development.

Was the crows shed some type of social club?

Anybody have any pictures of it?

It was literally an old shed that was used for Cros after match functions.

Was also used as a live site for the 97 and 98 GF’s. I went there for the 98 GF. It was a massive dive and despite the result, never went back.

It was a social club.
Can't find any pictures of the interior, but it was pretty big and IIRC there was a hallway with the names of Crows players all over that hallway which led to the big area which was packed with fans drinking beers.
262608au.jpg

2470850904_62d985db79_b.jpg

Went there once when I was quite young back at my first game in Round 21, 2009 against the Eagles and I have good memories of that place. I remember getting my jumper signed by Bernie Vince after the game. :)
After it was replaced by a newer Crows shed in 2010, it was turned into a dispatch centre for graysonline I believe.

Last edited:
It was a social club.
Can't find any pictures of the interior, but it was pretty big and IIRC there was a hallway with the names of Crows players all over that hallway which led to the big area which was packed with fans drinking beers.
262608au.jpg

Went there once when I was quite young back at my first game in Round 21, 2009 against the Eagles and I have good memories of that place. I remember getting my jumper signed by Bernie Vince after the game. :)
After it was replaced by a newer Crows shed in 2010, it was turned into a dispatch centre for graysonline I believe.

Port fan here, but been in the Crows Shed a few times with Crow supporting mates in the past and had fun meeting the players. Nearly got run down in that Car Park by Neil Craig circa 2005 who was driving some kind of Toyota 4x4 aggressively after a Crows game, can't remember if it was a win or not! :D

Port fan here, but been in the Crows Shed a few times with Crow supporting mates in the past and had fun meeting the players. Nearly got run down in that Car Park by Neil Craig circa 2005 who was driving some kind of Toyota 4x4 aggressively after a Crows game, can't remember if it was a win or not! :D
Got to hate old men who can't drive lol

It was a social club.
262608au.jpg

Yeah it finished it’s days as a depot for Graysonline, who moved to Pooraka following the demolition.

Won't be very private? Read somewhere by 2048 it'll be gone
There is an exit strategy in place, a very slow one, but a strategy at least

The AFC have an extended lease on the Admin and training areas. There have been rumblings to move away from West Lakes ( most likely Thebarton) but while the current deals are in place there is no great rush.

Its more likely to do with negotiated exits rather than anything else

Remove this Banner Ad

Back