Football Park - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Barely any discussion regarding the end of this ground. I mean, aren't people more attached?
I think it's like when Waverley closed. Most the Melbourne population rejoiced that it was closing as the negatives outweighed the positives. If they were going to demolish it I think it would be a different story.

You mean they're not ? o_O DAMN!!! :mad:

I'll offer my services, free of charge to help level the place...might even find that lost bulldozer... :D

Barely any discussion regarding the end of this ground. I mean, aren't people more attached?

It really is a piece of sh*t.

I have some wonderful memories there, but they're not going anywhere. Any nostalgic sadness is far outweighed by the eager anticipation for the band new, state of the art inner-city stadium.

Only went to footy Park twice, both for Finals, a Prelim Vs Port in 2004 and the next years Qual Vs the Crows. All the issues people have raised I found, too. The location was a huge pain, too far away from the action, cold, uncomfortable seats, draconian toilets, etc. I'd be damned if I'd ever go there again!
The comparison with Waverly is spot on, I remember saying to someone at the first game I almost felt I was at Waverly, the grounds are very similar in their issues, and, despite the bizarre nostalgia I hear from people now (must be too young to really remember Arctic Park!), few will miss either.

You mean they're not ? o_O DAMN!!! :mad:

I'll offer my services, free of charge to help level the place...might even find that lost bulldozer... :D

Apparently the Crows will continue to use it for training. Though surely it's only a matter of time until it's sold and Adelaide move to new facilities further out.

Apparently the Crows will continue to use it for training. Though surely it's only a matter of time until it's sold and Adelaide move to new facilities further out.
The ground will always remain, but surrounding land will be sold off. I believe the upper level stands of AAMI will be coming down next decade. The area is likely to end up similar to what Waverley Park is like now.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

My favourite memory at footy park, can still clearly remember it while sitting in Clinton Zerella's coporate box.
1449040-3x2-340x227.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy Park's cold as balls, a hideous concrete nightmare, food and toilet lines border on the farcical, it's in the middle of nowhere, takes FOREVER to get home, has stretched low-def replay screens, an awful PA system, hardly any covered seats, you're crammed in like sardines, and the views from the stands are too far away from the action.

A small part of me will really miss Footy Park, but it's time has long passed. Bring on 2014 :thumbsu:
I am a Vic (don't hold that against me) and am heading to Footy Park for the first time (and I guess only time) for the Blues' game in a fortnight.
Had to giggle at the description you give - it seems that F/Park must have been designed by the same people (Bastards Incorporated Stadium Design?) that made Waverly.
I sat through a few games there where I wondered how deep frostbite goes and if my nose should be that blues, eating the worst pies in the history of the world and watching a "WOW' screen that made sepia look modern. All in a concrete bunker that was windy as all hell.
I was also actually at Waverly for the Hawk's last training session before the GF last year and things hadn't changed much, cold, windy pushing kicks at right angles and hopeless traffic conditions.
Seems I can look forward to having a 'blast from the past' when I visit Footy Park.

Went to the Blues /Port game, loved it! Obviously result had a lot to do with it but on a beautiful Springish evening, great sunset and nice view of the city added to close footy it was brilliant.
Loved the atmosphere - LOTs and lots and lots of Port crew obviously but funnily enough ended up around a few other blues fans as well in our little 'outpost' in the big stand.
It was scary how the stadium gave me flashbacks of Waverly from back in the day - despite the nice night I could see how a wet, windy winter's night would be a sad cold experience.
Seriously enjoyed the day, will have to pop over to check out the adelaide oval (blues v Crows ??) - hope its not another 40 years before I get there again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back