Football Park - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

if they demolished AAMI stadium, what would they do with that electronic fencing and those video screens? its not like Adelaide Oval needs any of that, they have enough electronic advertising?
The question should be: "What have they done with it already?"
In May I did an Under-18s state trial game there and it was already gone.
10301607_10203787652720729_6954321858966538763_n.jpg

The question should be: "What have they done with it already?"
In May I did an Under-18s state trial game there and it was already gone.
10301607_10203787652720729_6954321858966538763_n.jpg

Thanks for the picture. Looks like they have started ripping out the seating too?

Can you just walk out on to the ground during the week or is it locked up? I know plenty of people managed to waltz into Waverley Park once it was abandoned.

From a selfish perspective, I'm glad they are fixturing a pre-season game there. I will be looking at traveling over and having a look before it gets turned into another Waverley.

Thanks for the picture. Looks like they have started ripping out the seating too?

Can you just walk out on to the ground during the week or is it locked up? I know plenty of people managed to waltz into Waverley Park once it was abandoned.

From a selfish perspective, I'm glad they are fixturing a pre-season game there. I will be looking at traveling over and having a look before it gets turned into another Waverley.
Seating got taken to suburban grounds, much like the old metal bench seats and the AO Chappell Stand seats did.
Stadium is closed unless you go in for a function upstairs and then you can get to seating areas in the members. It's still used for Crows training, SANFL Umpires etc so probably a chance to sneak in really.
The best perspective people will get from a pre-season game there will be how s**t it is compared to AO. The screen quality, the seating bowl (as opposed to stadium/Colosseum seating), the absolute starkness of just a metal monolith built with no thought to feel or history...

Is AAMI Stadium used for anything nowadays? Can you just wander in and have a look?

SANFL HQ and Admin still I think, as well as Crows training and admin.

I have had a wonder around the when I go to Adelaide, looks a bit shut up, but the gates that are open to workers usually have security. Hopefully I can get in one day before it goes and have a wander around, always wanted to do that.

SANFL HQ and Admin still I think, as well as Crows training and admin.

I have had a wonder around the when I go to Adelaide, looks a bit shut up, but the gates that are open to workers usually have security. Hopefully I can get in one day before it goes and have a wander around, always wanted to do that.
SANFL is based at AO Riverbank Stand, in the eastern side.
SANFL Umpiring Department is based at AAMI.

Ah the efficiencies of the SANFL:rolleyes:
The Umpiring Department has always been separate. Used to be League office south-western corner, Umpires Department over near the bus bay. Previous to that when the Umpires trained at Thebby Oval the Umpiring Office was there.
Why would they be based at AO then have all training and umpire coaching facilities at AAMI?
The whole umpire training operation runs out of AAMI. They train there twice a week 10 months of the year, video coaching rooms, changerooms, trainers rooms. Shane Harris' and co's office in the city would be way less efficient.
The SANFL Groundskeeper's hut isn't located at AO either :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And CA would still cover it up with static signage in the summer :D
I was so annoyed about that.
In India some venues have it all the way around and it's just turned off behind the bowler like they did on the front of the Riverbank last night.
What a waste, both of the technology but also of an opportunity for their sponsors.

Both still there.
Thanks, must be around a bit more than I remembered it to be :)
EDIT: Just to the right of the pic

In India some venues have it all the way around and it's just turned off behind the bowler like they did on the front of the Riverbank last night.
What a waste, both of the technology but also of an opportunity for their sponsors.
+1 annoyed. What's wrong with static digital advertising? Just change the display during the reset (or whatever it's called after the balls been hit)

Thanks, must be around a bit more than I remembered it to be :)
EDIT: Just to the right of the pic

+1 annoyed. What's wrong with static digital advertising? Just change the display during the reset (or whatever it's called after the balls been hit)
"between deliveries", I believe would be the term :p
The shitty rotating ads at the MCG move. If it's not in the sightscreen, and it's not jumping around maniacally, it should be fine.

And the irony is CA have video sight screens now - even at Blundstone!

And the irony is CA have video sight screens now - even at Blundstone!
I betcha they ceebs setting up all the advertising for the AO fence for a T20. And then for the Test they'll cite "traditionalism" or something.
But there's certainly a cost to setting up all the graphics for it.

Looks like Football Park will be going the way of Waverley Park. The SANFL have sold it and the surrounding areas (Max Basheer Reserve, the old Crows shed and surroundings, & all the grassed areas around the stadium) for $71 Million - $10M upfront and the rest in part payments from 2016. There will be 1600 homes built there.

The Crows will still be allowed to train on the stadium oval and keep their facilities.

I'd be amazed if the Crows training facilities are still there in 6 or 7 years. They will looking to move closer to the CBD as soon as possible. I think it will either be -

Option 1 - University Oval - 2 mins walk from Adelaide Oval - only problem is that the fuddy duddys at the Adelaide City Council don't let anyone build anything permanent on their precious parklands. The AFC would make a fortune from any licensed facilities if allowed to build a training venue here.

Option 2 - Thebarton Oval - could build training facilities and a separate licensed facility facing one of the busiest roads in Adelaide - South road. Could make good money here (from meals, sports bar, TAB, & Pokies), and could easily organise shuttle bus service from Adelaide Oval after games.

Option 2 has more chance of happening, as it would take a miracle to be allowed to build permanent facilities on the parklands. Look at what happened when the SA Govt tried to build a permanent grandstand and pit facilities on Victoria Park for the Clipsal 500 ten years ago, the clowns at the ACC said no and now it costs the govt a fortune each year to build and dismantle these facilities.

We could make a fortune from the AFC Hotel facing South road at Thebarton Oval. And its only 5km from Adelaide Oval.

Looks like Football Park will be going the way of Waverley Park. The SANFL have sold it and the surrounding areas (Max Basheer Reserve, the old Crows shed and surroundings, & all the grassed areas around the stadium) for $71 Million - $10M upfront and the rest in part payments from 2016. There will be 1600 homes built there.

The Crows will still be allowed to train on the stadium oval and keep their facilities.

I'd be amazed if the Crows training facilities are still there in 6 or 7 years. They will looking to move closer to the CBD as soon as possible. I think it will either be -

Option 1 - University Oval - 2 mins walk from Adelaide Oval - only problem is that the fuddy duddys at the Adelaide City Council don't let anyone build anything permanent on their precious parklands. The AFC would make a fortune from any licensed facilities if allowed to build a training venue here.

Option 2 - Thebarton Oval - could build training facilities and a separate licensed facility facing one of the busiest roads in Adelaide - South road. Could make good money here (from meals, sports bar, TAB, & Pokies), and could easily organise shuttle bus service from Adelaide Oval after games.

Option 2 has more chance of happening, as it would take a miracle to be allowed to build permanent facilities on the parklands. Look at what happened when the SA Govt tried to build a permanent grandstand and pit facilities on Victoria Park for the Clipsal 500 ten years ago, the clowns at the ACC said no and now it costs the govt a fortune each year to build and dismantle these facilities.

We could make a fortune from the AFC Hotel facing South road at Thebarton Oval. And its only 5km from Adelaide Oval.

Bear in mind if we go option 2 (and bear in mind the Crows have a lease at Football Park until 2048), that by the time it's built, it will be at the end of the Torrens to Torrens project. I wonder if having it built at the end of a leg of the North/South motorway will affect access to the facility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back