Football Personalities - Which one's have made a difference to our game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Which Players, Coach's or Club President's etc have made a positive contribution to the game/club or had a negative impact?

For me you can't go past Kevin Sheedy as the number 1 footballing personality that had a huge impact on our game as well as the Essendon Bombers. He's had a huge impact not only in the footy world but also in other people's lives amongst other things. I used to hate Sheedy with a passion. But as time went on I realised how good he was for footy and what he brought to it, as well as being a top person and champion fellow all round. He used to stir the pot but did it in a calculated manner. I love this speech that he gave GWS before their first ever match in the AFL. So true.

well played Sheeds. One of a kind.

The next one I'll bring to attention is a man who lives, breaths and sleeps football and of course, all things Collingwood. Love him or hate him you can't deny his mad passion for his team and his unrelenting loyalty. I believe he's made the game better and is a great media presenter and has great knowledge on all things footy. I'm not a fan of his commentating at times as I believe he does over do it, if he could tone it down a notch he'd be brilliant like the rest of his footballing input. The man would die for the black and white jumper, a true footballing nut, which is bloody fantastic.

Time for a player now. Has there ever been anyone more notorious than the great Jason Akermanis? This guy was a walking talking definition of the word controversial. I loved Aka. Very outspoken and why wouldn't you be when you're kicking goals off the boundary line for fun in your sleep. The guy was a Brownlow medallist, a premiership winner and an out and out champion. He caused a fair bit of chaos and ruffled a few feathers in the Lions camp, but did created some much added spice. Hats off to Aka.

Honorable mention although I don't know much about him goes to Ted Whitten. As a kid I remember seeing him do the lap of honour when Victoria played a state game during the 90's. Even as a youngster I could see the passion and realised the importance of what it meant to him, and what he contributed to the game. Could not mention him and these videos are both touching and inspiring. Hell, I got pumped up watching his speech myself. Can't imagine what it would have been like playing for the man. I think I'd run through brick walls and punch them with my bare fist. Onya Teddy.

Justin Madden - Shenanigans, Craziness and a good bloody laugh. I recall some of his antics during the 90's and watched the episode of Open Mike on him about 6 weeks ago. A very funny man and made the most of his footballing career. Well played Justin. A sensitive man, and you wouldn't know it by looking at hime and the way he played it but credit to you. We're all human after all.

I'm going to mention these next few and write about them later. Ron Barassi, Jeff Kennett, John Elliot and Mark '' Jacko '' Jackson.

The New Breed

James Sicily from the Hawks. I hate this smug campaigner. He's an irritating wasp that won't go away. But you know what, he's fast emerging as one of the games most hated and the most irritating, and that's good for the game. We need villains in the AFL and need players we love to hate. Never short of a dull moment and makes for a good story so well played James, never a dull moment when you're at your irritating best. Look forward to many clashes with the Cats over the next decade or so. Hope we pulverise you:) We also owe you one for Selly;)

Jonothan Brown. I love his media work. This guy is a straight down the line straight shooter who doesn't pull any punches. He calls it the way he sees it and it's always as accurate is it could come. Seems like a decent genuine bloke too and another champion of Australian Rule Football. Looking forward to hopefully decades in the media world and love his input.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaboJvAsakQ

Finally I can't make a thread dedicated to the games greats or contributors without mentioning the great Mick Malthouse. He annoyed many, was a hard man to please but always gave his all for his club and his players. Had a rivalry with ex-team mate Kevin Sheedy and it was a rivalry worth every penny. Started his career playing for the Tigers and ended up coaching Footscray, West Coast, Collingwood and Carlton. Not a bad stint in the game at all. Changed West Coasts club culture forever leaving a positive print to be savoured taking them to the finals in every year in charge there. A preliminary final in his first year at the helm was followed by a grand final loss, a premiership, the first in the clubs short history and first team to take the cup outside of Victoria, a semi final and another flag. A west Coast legend and this is my lasting memory of Mick in his second last game in charge at West Coast is him banging his hand against the desk in the dying moments of a final where west coast clung to a narrow lead. He broke a bone as a result, but that summed up Malthouse to a tee. Passion. He was set to retire at the end of the year so for him it could have been his final moments. Coaching his players was like looking after his kids. He loved them like family. The madness starts at 3 min in, and the broken bone part happens at 5 min and 5 sec:) Beautiful stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEigY-c4-D0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zoyjw9zzTyM

Loved him at Collingwood too. Took a team not fancied by many to on the cusp of a premiership and arguably could have got it in 2002 if not for some questionable umpiring. Facing the reigning champs, Aka's Brisbane Lions in a famous wet and Wintery day at the G the Pies fought gallantly and pushed them to the brink. At the end it was Aka who sealed it with this freak snap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEigY-c4-D0

But a lasting memory that will stay with me forever from Magic Mick is him in tears at the end of the game being interviewed by his Daughter, Christi, who also started to cry. Good genuine emotion from Mick and I loved that about him. The tears would follow again in 2011 after what also could have been his final moments in charge of the Pies. They got the win in an epic arm wrestle of a Prelim vs the mighty Hawks who would go on and form a fearsome unit of their own. Mighty Mick would taste success with the Pies and a long time coming, as they destroyed the Saints in the Grand Final replay in 2010. He duly deserved it, and perhaps deserved more in his reign for the fanatical Black and White Army.

2002 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrkxULazfBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8iw4eKOfY

Jonothan Brown. I love his media work. This guy is a straight down the line straight shooter who doesn't pull any punches. He calls it the way he sees it and it's always as accurate is it could come. Seems like a decent genuine bloke too and another champion of Australian Rule Football. Looking forward to hopefully decades in the media world and love his input.

Finally I can't make a thread dedicated to the games greats or contributors without mentioning the great Mick Malthouse. He annoyed many, was a hard man to please but always gave his all for his club and his players. Had a rivalry with ex-team mate Kevin Sheedy and it was a rivalry worth every penny. Started his career playing for the Tigers and ended up coaching Footscray, West Coast, Collingwood and Carlton. Not a bad stint in the game at all. Changed West Coasts club culture forever leaving a positive print to be savoured taking them to the finals in every year in charge there. A preliminary final in his first year at the helm was followed by a grand final loss, a premiership, the first in the clubs short history and first team to take the cup outside of Victoria, a semi final and another flag. A west Coast legend and this is my lasting memory of Mick in his second last game in charge at West Coast is him banging his hand against the desk in the dying moments of a final where west coast clung to a narrow lead. He broke a bone as a result, but that summed up Malthouse to a tee. Passion. He was set to retire at the end of the year so for him it could have been his final moments. Coaching his players was like looking after his kids. He loved them like family. The madness starts at 3 min in, and the broken bone part happens at 5 min and 5 sec:) Beautiful stuff.

Loved him at Collingwood too. Took a team not fancied by many to on the cusp of a premiership and arguably could have got it in 2002 if not for some questionable umpiring. Facing the reigning champs, Aka's Brisbane Lions in a famous wet and Wintery day at the G the Pies fought gallantly and pushed them to the brink. At the end it was Aka who sealed it with this freak snap

But a lasting memory that will stay with me forever from Magic Mick is him in tears at the end of the game being interviewed by his Daughter, Christi, who also started to cry. Good genuine emotion from Mick and I loved that about him. The tears would follow again in 2011 after what also could have been his final moments in charge of the Pies. They got the win in an epic arm wrestle of a Prelim vs the mighty Hawks who would go on and form a fearsome unit of their own. Mighty Mick would taste success with the Pies and a long time coming, as they destroyed the Saints in the Grand Final replay in 2010. He duly deserved it, and perhaps deserved more in his reign for the fanatical Black and White Army.

2002 -

Rob Barassi, especially his time in Sydney. He and Plugger put the ailing swans into the consciousness of the city. (The fringes of consciousness, but that was vast improvement.)

Nobody has destroyed a club like John Elliott. Not even James Hird and the dank could do it quite so expertly. OK, Ross the Boss' systematic dismantling of Fitzroy wins. At least that one was deliberate.

And nobody has destroyed a state like Scott Wade. He is not solely responsible for Tasmanian footy being the disaster it is, but by god did he and his cronies send it there faster than it needed to be - with full support from Andy and Gil.

There's no doubt Sheedy the showman did a great sales job. He was also a damned good coach, but the game is probably changed more by individuals off-field than on.

The Marngrook Footy Show..... and the talent on the show.

I don't think that we would really know and love Gilbert McAdam without that show.

So the show and it's creators will be viewed in 25 years as ground breaking and visionary. It will lead to all sorts of changes in media and other aussie rules pathways. Perhaps even expanding our ideas about what Australia can be.

Keeping up the tradition of BF being the first in with a smart ass comment to every new thread

Yes

Goodes,

Brand Ambassador for David Jones

Australian of the year

Outspoken on Indigenous Issues and Racism in the AFL and Australia.

The OP mentioned James Sicily. Have a go at him.

Good write up by OP. Only one correction being Mick Malthouse played 53 games for St. Kilda before moving to Richmond.

Fremantle had some great personalities playing around 2011-2014 era... Ballantyne (he is a lot quieter these days) and Crowley were always highly entertaining. Probably a bit off topic as I wouldn't say they made a "difference to our game" but added a flavour of something other than the standard AFL trained vanilla we are fast becoming so familiar with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For people that are a bit older - BTW im still a few years under 50.

Lou Richards
Jack Dyer
Bobby Davis
Peter McKenna
Harry Beitzel
Rex Hunt
Ron Barassi
Tommy Hafey

Lou Richards top of the list for sure

Kevin Sheedy. He literally ‘made a difference to our game’ by forcing the 15 meter rule to be extended to 50. He is the mastermind behind the biggest H&A game - The ANZAC day game. Big personality. Not credited as much as he should be for the effort he put into GWS.

Ed

Sam Newman ...love him or loathe him, he’s to the AFL what Trump is to American Politics. Sam has gotten people talking about AFL in a way few others have.

Rex Hunt
Jack Dyer and Ian Major
Capper
McAvaney
Michael Long

Sam Newman ...love him or loathe him, he’s to the AFL what Trump is to American Politics. Sam has gotten people talking about AFL in a way few others have.
Agree on most of that except "Sam has gotten people talking about Sam in a way few others have". Trump is a good comparison, everyone talks about Trump, not US policy or even politics.

Those who've used their time in the game to try and make things better for others...Stynes, Schwass, Goodes, Long...plenty under the radar too, Glenn Manton for one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back