Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Unfortunately Neale is one of the five Freo players invited, but perhaps we can request he sits on the Lions table.:p
Imagine the meltdown if he moved to the Lions table later in the count...

Think Clug and Berry might get shafted. I reckon that most of the time, after a game the umps just think of the big name players and try to rank them (unless someone really caught the eye).

Also a significant reason it's nigh impossible to win as a defender. Surprised to see both Dizzy and Harris invited. Highly doubt it'll be because they're significant vote-getters.

I can see Beams, Zorko and Martin as our most likely vote winners and Andrews I guess really is captain in waiting so makes sense for an invite. Gardiner seems a bit of a surprise though

Mayhap Darce has a bit more respect in the wider world than we expect. Or he is the only one under 25 not in Bali.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...s/news-story/6e4dc07a8a5474b4433bf6229ce4886a

Three Tasmanian footy players have put themselves well and truly in the firing line after wearing blackface at their club’s Mad Monday shindig.

One of the players, Beau Grundy, posted a photo of himself and two teammates dressed up as tennis sisters Venus and Serena Williams and Kenyan-born Swans defender Aliir Aliir.

The photo was uploaded on a Mad Monday group on Facebook where club footballers around the country share their end of season costumes.

“William(s) sisters and Aliir Aliir,” Mr Grundy posted before uploading the photo as his profile picture.

lioninthesand any comments? :D

5020e0a40764fa42fdff735c6ed42c53

seriously though are these people stupid?

I find the discussion around blackface really interesting.

On the one hand, in America, it has terrible implications relating to white people using it a lampoon people of colour, and has horribly racist connotations. In modern America, it's just not done. This also stems from early usage around Europe, though I don't believe there's such a modern implication around it in Europe as there as in America.

In Australia, it's really not been on the radar until about 10 years ago, and it went from being fine, depending on the usage, to racist - not because of any particular historical meaning here, but because of the meaning to a foreign culture.

Is it racist to don blackface in any circumstance, in Australia? I don't know. There's certainly an argument for globalisation meaning that every culture impacts each other, and people should have an awareness of that. There's also an argument that this should also work in reverse - in our culture it isn't historically offensive, so American people who might be impacted by that should have an awareness that it's not necessarily racist in a foreign culture.

The one I found really interesting was the WA kid a few years back whose mother dressed him up to look like NicNat - who was the kid's favourite player. The mother, and obviously the child, had no idea it was considered by some to be offensive, as it's not historically been an Australian issue, but the outrage that poured out was horrible.

Really interesting discussion, including how it's propagated into other spheres, like the recent debacle about the Serena Williams caricature, which was labelled both racist and sexist by different (and sometimes the same) people. Is it OK for a white male to mock a black woman for an issue completely unrelated to her race/sex?

I don't necessarily have the final answer on the issue, I can see both sides to a degree - but I find the debate really interesting.

On the one hand, in America, it has terrible implications relating to white people using it a lampoon people of colour, and has horribly racist connotations. In modern America, it's just not done. This also stems from early usage around Europe, though I don't believe there's such a modern implication around it in Europe as there as in America.

In Australia, it's really not been on the radar until about 10 years ago, and it went from being fine, depending on the usage, to racist - not because of any particular historical meaning here, but because of the meaning to a foreign culture.

Is it racist to don blackface in any circumstance, in Australia? I don't know. There's certainly an argument for globalisation meaning that every culture impacts each other, and people should have an awareness of that. There's also an argument that this should also work in reverse - in our culture it isn't historically offensive, so American people who might be impacted by that should have an awareness that it's not necessarily racist in a foreign culture.

The one I found really interesting was the WA kid a few years back whose mother dressed him up to look like NicNat - who was the kid's favourite player. The mother, and obviously the child, had no idea it was considered by some to be offensive, as it's not historically been an Australian issue, but the outrage that poured out was horrible.

Really interesting discussion, including how it's propagated into other spheres, like the recent debacle about the Serena Williams caricature, which was labelled both racist and sexist by different (and sometimes the same) people. Is it OK for a white male to mock a black woman for an issue completely unrelated to her race/sex?

I don't necessarily have the final answer on the issue, I can see both sides to a degree - but I find the debate really interesting.

I remember the exact moment it started to became racist here- a 2009 hey hey it's Saturday (on Wednesday) red faces type skit where Harry Connick Jnr was judge. They dressed up in blackface and did a Jackson 5 song I think. Harry gave them a 0 and called it exist and I had no idea why.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Please no. Lets not go here. haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the exact moment it started to became racist here- a 2009 hey hey it's Saturday (on Wednesday) red faces type skit where Harry Connick Jnr was judge. They dressed up in blackface and did a Jackson 5 song I think. Harry gave them a 0 and called it exist and I had no idea why.

Yep, I remember that. It was actually a classic act from early on, that Hey Hey invited back for the reunion run - audience laughed, all the other judges voted highly, and Connick gave it a zero. To their credit, Hey Hey actually discussed it later on and why it was considered offensive in American culture.
Please no. Lets not go here. haha
;-) No one forcing you to be involved in the debate. I honestly find (reasoned, respectful) discussion about issues like this really interesting. Especially as I sit on the fence about it a bit. I wouldn't do it, and if you have knowledge of it, it'd be dumb to do as it can only offend some. But there are cases, like kids dressing up as NicNat, where it's genuinely considered a tribute and not intended to cause offence, and I have no issue with it at all. But if you're a dumb footballer from Tasmania, and you're just ignorant and don't know much, does that excuse anything, even if it is genuinely done as a compliment, not to ridicule (no idea if it was)?

I even sit on the fence about the commentary of it. On one hand, I think all of these straight white keyboard warriors rushing to get offended about issues that have no involvement for them, and causing hysteria where it might not otherwise exist, are idiots. Especially when it devolves into mob-like behaviour and a basic misunderstanding turns into worse behaviour than the original allegation. On the other hand, standing up for the downtrodden, the persecuted, the minority, is virtuous. As Niemoller would say: First they came for the black lesbian women...

As I said - I find it interesting.

There was an enormous controversy in the 90s when Sam went blackface on The Footy Show to substitute for the non-appearing Nicky Winmar.

Trying to claim it's just an American thing is misleading - there was a long history of blackface in Australian theatre and the arts before it started disappearing in the mid-1900s. It's mainly flown under the radar because Australian-specific culture tends to be more quickly forgotten and Indigenous Australians not having as loud a voice as African Americans since there's fewer of them and they're more marginalized.

Edit: I think a big part of it is enough African Americans have media responsibilities in the US that they're able to put their POV out without having to wait for someone to come and ask them. Indigenous Australians in Australia don't have those handy mainstream mouthpieces, instead finding themselves dependent on others to seek out their POV.

Last edited:
Trying to claim it's just an American thing is misleading - there was a long history of blackface in Australian theatre and the arts before it started disappearing in the mid-1900s. It's mainly flown under the radar because Australian-specific culture tends to be more quickly forgotten and Indigenous Australians not having as loud a voice as African Americans since there's fewer of them and they're more marginalized.

Yeah, just because it took a rich famous white man to bring it to mainstream attention until people finally noticed didn’t mean it wasn’t an issue.

Yep, I remember that. It was actually a classic act from early on, that Hey Hey invited back for the reunion run - audience laughed, all the other judges voted highly, and Connick gave it a zero. To their credit, Hey Hey actually discussed it later on and why it was considered offensive in American culture.

;-) No one forcing you to be involved in the debate. I honestly find (reasoned, respectful) discussion about issues like this really interesting. Especially as I sit on the fence about it a bit. I wouldn't do it, and if you have knowledge of it, it'd be dumb to do as it can only offend some. But there are cases, like kids dressing up as NicNat, where it's genuinely considered a tribute and not intended to cause offence, and I have no issue with it at all. But if you're a dumb footballer from Tasmania, and you're just ignorant and don't know much, does that excuse anything, even if it is genuinely done as a compliment, not to ridicule (no idea if it was)?

I even sit on the fence about the commentary of it. On one hand, I think all of these straight white keyboard warriors rushing to get offended about issues that have no involvement for them, and causing hysteria where it might not otherwise exist, are idiots. Especially when it devolves into mob-like behaviour and a basic misunderstanding turns into worse behaviour than the original allegation. On the other hand, standing up for the downtrodden, the persecuted, the minority, is virtuous. As Niemoller would say: First they came for the black lesbian women...

As I said - I find it interesting.

Yeah, I was just joking to highlight the fact that it's a controversial debate, discuss what you want, it will be interesting. And yes, I will sit out this one.

The issue with Australia, and the mis-perception that it isn't a big deal, is purely a numbers thing.
We have a much smaller population of indigenous Australians than America has of African Americans and slavery leading to war plays a big part as well. The voices simply haven't been heard here and the opportunity for uprising or education haven't existed.
It's not that it isn't or shouldn't be any more offensive, but more the point that we are less educated or 'woke' than most of the USA. Australia as a whole are simply less aware.
Racism though isn't just about white people believe or do. It's what people of colour feel or experience through those actions or words. To say that "black face isn't really a thing here", is an incredibly white thing to say. To say it doesn't have as much impact here, is completely ignorant of what people of colour think of it.
It's no big deal to some, or even most, because it isn't about them. It's insensitive, and in this day and age, there isn't any excuse for not being aware, or even questioning if it's a big deal. It isn't for us white people to say what isn't racist, or whether it's very or just a bit. Just need to respect.

Just the standard 1 person says a silly thing then 10 responses all saying basically the same things about why it was wrong.

Just the standard 1 person says a silly thing then 10 responses all saying basically the same things about why it was wrong.

You're wrong because I said so.

*waits for nine others*

I just don't understand the need for someone to stroke their own ego by being the 10th person to post the same thing.
Yeah, only one person from the affirmative and one from the negative should have a say. Then threads can all be one page each.
I suppose when someone posts something you strongly disagree with, and there's only one counter post, you'll post something like "I can't believe only one person disagrees".
It's a forum. Everyone can have a say, even if it's echoing others' sentiments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back