Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

My response to a thread on the main board re third party deals:

I have been saying this for years. The integrity of the competition (and salary cap) is completely undermined by clubs leveraging business connections to offer players more attractive packages and long-term benefits to both themselves and related parties i.e. spouses.

This is particularly detrimental to minnow Victorian clubs and frontier clubs in the northern states. Given the saturation of the Victorian market and the lack of AFL markets in Queensland and New South Wales, these clubs simply don't have the ability or connections to arrange these sponsorship deals for their players.

Fringe Brisbane players who have relocated from Victoria have openly spoken about the lack of 'cashies' and other job opportunities in Queensland compared to when they were playing in Victoria.

To highlight this issue, a player such as Jack Crisp would have little relevance in Brisbane - he would be completely unknown to the casual fan let alone a random passer-by. In contrast, Crispy is a household name now that he is at the Pies - and that is not due to a sudden improvement overnight. His marketability as a player has increased tenfold since the move to Victoria and thus come the additional opportunities associated with the location. That doesn't even consider the business connections the Collingwood football club have at their disposal to leverage further opportunities for their players.

I'm not surprised to see the dismissive attitude on this thread, which seems to primarily be coming from supporters of clubs who are the primary beneficiaries of the current regime.

I look forward to observing the perpetual retention issues experienced by these clubs while simultaneously flicking over to another episode of Postcards hosted by Alex Rance and Tom Lynch.

My response to a thread on the main board re third party deals:

I have been saying this for years. The integrity of the competition (and salary cap) is completely undermined by clubs leveraging business connections to offer players more attractive packages and long-term benefits to both themselves and related parties i.e. spouses.

This is particularly detrimental to minnow Victorian clubs and frontier clubs in the northern states. Given the saturation of the Victorian market and the lack of AFL markets in Queensland and New South Wales, these clubs simply don't have the ability or connections to arrange these sponsorship deals for their players.

Fringe Brisbane players who have relocated from Victoria have openly spoken about the lack of 'cashies' and other job opportunities in Queensland compared to when they were playing in Victoria.

To highlight this issue, a player such as Jack Crisp would have little relevance in Brisbane - he would be completely unknown to the casual fan let alone a random passer-by. In contrast, Crispy is a household name now that he is at the Pies - and that is not due to a sudden improvement overnight. His marketability as a player has increased tenfold since the move to Victoria and thus come the additional opportunities associated with the location. That doesn't even consider the business connections the Collingwood football club have at their disposal to leverage further opportunities for their players.

I'm not surprised to see the dismissive attitude on this thread, which seems to primarily be coming from supporters of clubs who are the primary beneficiaries of the current regime.

I look forward to observing the perpetual retention issues experienced by these clubs while simultaneously flicking over to another episode of Postcards hosted by Alex Rance and Tom Lynch.
Not sure you should have used Crisp as an exsample for extra curricular money earning activities as a Collingwood player. ;)

Not sure you should have used Crisp as an exsample for extra curricular money earning activities as a Collingwood player. ;)

It was to highlight the extra income available to players of Crisp's calibre when playing for a large well-connected club as opposed to a minnow Victorian or northern side. No such opportunity would exist if he continued to play for Brisbane.

It was to highlight the extra income available to players of Crisp's calibre when playing for a large well-connected club as opposed to a minnow Victorian or northern side. No such opportunity would exist if he continued to play for Brisbane.
The advantage of social media is that anyone can be a star and make money with their own channels and content, not just preexisting celebrities.

I see.

So there's no way Crisp could've made 3rd party money with package content in Brisbane. I think I get it now.
That was only because he had a bad ADSL connection.

Walking through Carindale with my nephew this morning and he goes "look there is a (Brisbane) Lions cowboy".

And sure enough, there's a bloke walking on to the escalators in front of us wearing cowboy boots, jeans, cowboy hat and a Lions guernsey.
Was it Lachie Neale or Jesse Hogan?

Lol:
43951765_2059332544133374_8965037124164255744_n.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So our club has approx 135k likes on facebook, big picture wise it's significantly less than Collingwoods 350k likes...

but what left me gobsmacked was the Brisbane Heat's social media following. They just hit 1M likes and have roughly 900k people following their facebook page. Surely those numbers would have to be for the most part boosted by international followers? I know crickets big in Australia but sheesh.

So our club has approx 135k likes on facebook, big picture wise it's significantly less than Collingwoods 350k likes...

but what left me gobsmacked was the Brisbane Heat's social media following. They just hit 1M likes and have roughly 900k people following their facebook page. Surely those numbers would have to be for the most part boosted by international followers? I know crickets big in Australia but sheesh.

All cricket pages have huge followings from the subcontinent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back