Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Onya Billy. Started this shitfight we have heard one hundred times, which is the only thing that was going to happen after that post. I was a non committed fan of the old Fitzroy but I have heard all this too many times.

As punishment you must write out every post, in full, that is a reply to your silly attack. And mail them to yourself for bedtime reading.

I just very much dislike the victim mentality that perceivers in the hearts and minds of the majority of Lions supporters. Yes the AFL has done some s**t things to us but it was OUR fault that the club was in the position it was for those s**t things to happen.

This victim mentality in our club I believe stems from the yee old Fitzroy days which is why I have an extremely negative opinion of Fitzroy and the fact some supporters/clubmen hold on so desperately to the old Fitzroy days.

What good comes from playing the victim? Especially when our ship has been righted and we have our Lord and Saviour steering us up river towards premiership glory

Can always rely on Billy to lay out the obvious bait, and for Roylion to jump straight on to the hook if its Fitzroy related.

Not sure which I find more frustrating...

There's a simple cure to your frustration. Don't read it.

... Why not? It certainly doesn't make it not-a-merger.

Two football clubs joining as one? Shared board of directors, shared decision making. Take a look at the North Melbourne - Fitzroy merger terms from 1996 and you'll see a better a far example of a 'merger'.

This is my job, and nothing about this looks like anything but a merger. You know you can't walk into ASIC and say "I'd like these two companies merged". ASIC would look at you puzzled. A merger is structured through an agreement, like a deed of arrangement, so that operations are brought under one banner.

A secured creditor (Nauru Insurance Company) appointed an administrator to Fitzroy pursuant to Part 5.3A (436C) of the Corporations Act. [Note this Act is dated to 2001 as it was updated from previous legislation which existed in 1996]

5.3A 436A of the Corporations Act states that a Company may appoint an administrator if the board of that company thinks it is or will become insolvent. Part 5.3A 436B states that a Liquidator may appoint an administrator while Part 5.3A 436C states that a secured party may appoint an administrator. Note the bold of the last section because this is what happened to Fitzroy.

"A person who is entitled to enforce a security interest in the whole, or substantially the whole, of a company's property may by writing appoint an administrator of the company if the security interest has become, and is still, enforceable."

'Nauru Insurance Company' was Fitzroy’s primary (and only secured) creditor. It was they who appointed the administrator [Michael Brennan] to recover their debt (which wasn't due until 2001 incidentally). This in turn was because North Melbourne (at the instigation of the AFL) refused to release any more than $550,000 of the $1.25 million owed to Nauru from the merger monies of the $6 million that the AFL had promised in the event of two clubs merging into a new club. In this case it was going to be the 'North Fitzroy Kangaroos'. When Nauru heard this they determined to recover the full amount before any merger with North Melbourne could take place and their money was lost forever.

So on 25 July 1996, the creditors of the company (Fitzroy Football Club) resolved that Fitzroy should enter a Deed of Company Arrangement (instead of the creditor's other two choices permissable by the Corporations Act 2001 which was liquidation or ending the administration). On 4 August 1996 a deed was executed by Fitzroy (controlled by Michael Brennan as administrator) and the Brisbane Bears Football Club Ltd. In consideration of Brisbane Bears Football Club Ltd. agreeing to pay or procure the payment of various amounts mentioned in the deed (such as paying Nauru's loan), and to provide certain indemnities, the administrator agreed to transfer all Fitzroy's operations and activities as an AFL club (including its football operations) to the Brisbane Bears with effect from 1 November 1996.

In effect the Brisbane Bears bought Fitzroy's assets as pertaining to its Club Operations and the AFL added on some other bonuses such as priority (pre draft) access to eight players from Fitzroy's 1996 list, some AFL money ( a grant) and an additional salary cap bonus.

As part of the Deed, the administrator relinquished Fitzroy Football Club's licence to compete in the AFL competition. The AFL also gave permission for all its AFL owned trademarks (pertaining to Fitzroy) to be used by the Brisbane Bears Football Club from Season 1997 onwards and this was ratified by 14 of the 16 clubs and gavr certain other. The Brisbane Bears subseqently re-branded their club identity and continued in the AFL as the Brisbane Lions. Fitzroy Football Club left the competition after 100 years of participation.

Fitzroy Football Club remained in Melbourne, where in 1998, the administrator returned control of the club to the existing elected directors, who never left office (still elected by the the same shareholders who never relinquished their shares) and Fitzroy Football Club began building its club operations and assets (totally independent of either the AFL or the Brisbane Bears / Lions), other than a registered charge that was placed on the Fitzroy Football Club by the Brisbane Lions in respect to the monies that the Brisbane Bears had paid Nauru out of the 'merger' monies. That was removed by Brisbane under the administration of Chairman Alan Piper.

I still don't see what isn't a merger here.

And of course the Administrator took the best deal for the creditors. That is literally their entire job description.

Did I say anything differently? The administrator considered two deals - one from the Bears and one from the Kangaroos and the best deal bought the assets of another company. the payment of various amounts mentioned in the deed (such as paying Nauru's loan), and to provide certain indemnities.

Yes. So does everyone else. BBFFC is a company limited by guarantee. There are no shares. This is a fairly normal structure for a community organisation.

Of course. Different clubs. Both of which still exist in their own right - one based in Brisbane and another seperate club (whose seperateness and independence was recognised by the Victorian Supreme Court in 2010) based in Melbourne.

In 2010, even the Brisbane Lions themselves claimed that the Fitzroy Football Club (which the Supreme Court recognised as the same entity and club as the one that held an AFL licence) was a completely seperate club from their own.

Disagree. Regardless of how successful various administrations have been in involving Fitzroy supporters, there was clear intent to have Fitzroy fans as Brisbane Lions fans.

That means little. The Brisbane Bears rebranded to make their AFL club attractive to Fitzroy supporters. That doesn't make it a 'merger'.

The fact that anyone can be a Brisbane Lions member doesn't eliminate the fact that Fitzroy fans were encouraged to join as members.

So? Of course the Brisbane bears were targeting their rebranding to make it attractive to Fitzroy supporters. They wanted a Melbourne supporter base.

The only argument I've seen that indicates that it wasn't a merger is the argument that Fitzroy still operate in a different sphere. This makes it a partial merger (often structured as a merger and then a demerger of a separate asset, or an acquisition of strategic assets/operations), but doesn't mean it completely isn't.

The Supreme Court of Victoria seems to think the Fitzroy Football Club (which it recognised as the same club and entiry as the one that once held an AFL licence) was a seperate entity to the Brisbane Bears - Fitzroy Football Club. (company name changed by the addition of the "Fitzroy" name by vote of Brisbane Bears members in 1996), now trading as the Brisbane Lions.

I'm fine with you being a Brisbane Lions fan/member by choice, not compulsion. I'm fine with you being a Fitzroy fan first and a Brisbane Lions fan second. I'm fine with anyone who wants to whinging about unfair behaviour by the AFL, breaches of the merger agreement by not having 6 games in Melbourne, etc. All of that is fine. But to say it wasn't a merger is factually inaccurate.

See above.

..."The Brisbane fans say BLOW THE BLOODY SIREN!!"

In other news, guess what other game I've been enjoying. :D

Maybe if Roylion could put a link in for one of the posts containing the extensive list of specific actions taken by the AFL/VFL House to remove Fitzroy it might assist Billy Puller in his concept of how much of Fitzroy's woes were due to their 'victim mentality' and how much were inflicted directly and deliberately on them by their own governing body ... it's not paranoia if they really *are* trying to kill you

Maybe if Roylion could put a link in for one of the posts containing the extensive list of specific actions taken by the AFL/VFL House to remove Fitzroy it might assist Billy Puller in his concept of how much of Fitzroy's woes were due to their 'victim mentality' and how much were inflicted directly and deliberately on them by their own governing body ... it's not paranoia if they really *are* trying to kill you

I can’t read that post again. So frustrating.

Sure.

Click here. Post 30.

Two football clubs joining as one? Shared board of directors, shared decision making. Take a look at the North Melbourne - Fitzroy merger terms from 1996 and you'll see a better a far example of a 'merger'.

A secured creditor (Nauru Insurance Company) appointed an administrator to Fitzroy pursuant to Part 5.3A (436C) of the Corporations Act. [Note this Act is dated to 2001 as it was updated from previous legislation which existed in 1996]

5.3A 436A of the Corporations Act states that a Company may appoint an administrator if the board of that company thinks it is or will become insolvent. Part 5.3A 436B states that a Liquidator may appoint an administrator while Part 5.3A 436C states that a secured party may appoint an administrator. Note the bold of the last section because this is what happened to Fitzroy.

"A person who is entitled to enforce a security interest in the whole, or substantially the whole, of a company's property may by writing appoint an administrator of the company if the security interest has become, and is still, enforceable."

'Nauru Insurance Company' was Fitzroy’s primary (and only secured) creditor. It was they who appointed the administrator [Michael Brennan] to recover their debt (which wasn't due until 2001 incidentally). This in turn was because North Melbourne (at the instigation of the AFL) refused to release any more than $550,000 of the $1.25 million owed to Nauru from the merger monies of the $6 million that the AFL had promised in the event of two clubs merging into a new club. In this case it was going to be the 'North Fitzroy Kangaroos'. When Nauru heard this they determined to recover the full amount before any merger with North Melbourne could take place and their money was lost forever.

So on 25 July 1996, the creditors of the company (Fitzroy Football Club) resolved that Fitzroy should enter a Deed of Company Arrangement (instead of the creditor's other two choices permissable by the Corporations Act 2001 which was liquidation or ending the administration). On 4 August 1996 a deed was executed by Fitzroy (controlled by Michael Brennan as administrator) and the Brisbane Bears Football Club Ltd. In consideration of Brisbane Bears Football Club Ltd. agreeing to pay or procure the payment of various amounts mentioned in the deed (such as paying Nauru's loan), and to provide certain indemnities, the administrator agreed to transfer all Fitzroy's operations and activities as an AFL club (including its football operations) to the Brisbane Bears with effect from 1 November 1996.

In effect the Brisbane Bears bought Fitzroy's assets as pertaining to its Club Operations and the AFL added on some other bonuses such as priority (pre draft) access to eight players from Fitzroy's 1996 list, some AFL money ( a grant) and an additional salary cap bonus.

As part of the Deed, the administrator relinquished Fitzroy Football Club's licence to compete in the AFL competition. The AFL also gave permission for all its AFL owned trademarks (pertaining to Fitzroy) to be used by the Brisbane Bears Football Club from Season 1997 onwards and this was ratified by 14 of the 16 clubs and gavr certain other. The Brisbane Bears subseqently re-branded their club identity and continued in the AFL as the Brisbane Lions. Fitzroy Football Club left the competition after 100 years of participation.

Fitzroy Football Club remained in Melbourne, where in 1998, the administrator returned control of the club to the existing elected directors, who never left office (still elected by the the same shareholders who never relinquished their shares) and Fitzroy Football Club began building its club operations and assets (totally independent of either the AFL or the Brisbane Bears / Lions), other than a registered charge that was placed on the Fitzroy Football Club by the Brisbane Lions in respect to the monies that the Brisbane Bears had paid Nauru out of the 'merger' monies. That was removed by Brisbane under the administration of Chairman Alan Piper.

Did I say anything differently? The administrator considered two deals - one from the Bears and one from the Kangaroos and the best deal bought the assets of another company. the payment of various amounts mentioned in the deed (such as paying Nauru's loan), and to provide certain indemnities.

Of course. Different clubs. Both of which still exist in their own right - one based in Brisbane and another seperate club (whose seperateness and independence was recognised by the Victorian Supreme Court in 2010) based in Melbourne.

In 2010, even the Brisbane Lions themselves claimed that the Fitzroy Football Club (which the Supreme Court recognised as the same entity and club as the one that held an AFL licence) was a completely seperate club from their own.

That means little. The Brisbane Bears rebranded to make their AFL club attractive to Fitzroy supporters. That doesn't make it a 'merger'.

So? Of course the Brisbane bears were targeting their rebranding to make it attractive to Fitzroy supporters. They wanted a Melbourne supporter base.

The Supreme Court of Victoria seems to think the Fitzroy Football Club (which it recognised as the same club and entiry as the one that once held an AFL licence) was a seperate entity to the Brisbane Bears - Fitzroy Football Club. (company name changed by the addition of the "Fitzroy" name by vote of Brisbane Bears members in 1996), now trading as the Brisbane Lions.

See above.
Righto. Well, even if the merger with North was more appealing, doesn't mean that the merger with Brisbane wasn't a legitimate merger. It's like saying that anything that isn't barista-made isn't a coffee. Preferring something else doesn't invalidate the existence of all alternatives.

Circumstances weren't ideal. But at the same time, big whoopy do. Fitzroy defaulted on a debt arrangement and the creditors appointed an administrator. That administrator did his job. Everything perfectly legitimate. We know that Fitzroy defaulted on the debt because otherwise, an administrator could not have been appointed. What role the AFL, North, Brisbane, Nauru, and the little green men played in the saga might make for a sad tale, but it doesn't change the facts.

You seem very stuck on the idea that Fitzroy still exists. As I explained, that's normal - you can't actually merge entities. You just combine the operations. By that stage, the creditors had been satisfied. The relevant assets and intangibles had been moved to the merged entity. The merger had already occurred. Of course the merged entity didn't bother transferring the VAFA license out - it had no use for it. Yes, that means that Fitzroy Football Club still exists as a separate entity. So what?

I have no idea what your point is here. I thought you were trying to argue that it wasn't a merger, which is the only part i (vehemently) disagreed with... Now you seem to be arguing that the circumstances sucked and everyone else was to blame, but I have no idea why you're so intent on getting that point across. It's completely irrelevant.

I’m an old Bears supporter but if the Lions now merged (by absolute definition or not) I would be lost not being able to support a team, so I would want to support whatever remnants of my team there was. Anyone on here is obviously (and probably unhealthily ) a dedicated footy fan and I’m not sure why anyone wants to argue away the Fitzroy attachment to the Lions and remove the legacy of those supporters who were as passionate about Fitzroy as we are now about the Lions. Just let them have it.

I’m an old Bears supporter but if the Lions now merged (by absolute definition or not) I would be lost not being able to support a team, so I would want to support whatever remnants of my team there was. Anyone on here is obviously (and probably unhealthily ) a dedicated footy fan and I’m not sure why anyone wants to argue away the Fitzroy attachment to the Lions and remove the legacy of those supporters who were as passionate about Fitzroy as we are now about the Lions. Just let them have it.

This.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So long as this goes both ways and old Fitzroy supporters don’t argue away the Bears history I’m all good with this.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If the reports are true...we will become the reigning premiers not only in NAB Cup but also the AFLX

AFL set to revamp AFLX competition with stars to hand-pick teams for one-off tournament
Herald Sun
November 16, 2018 11:06pm
Subscriber only
AFL superstars Dustin Martin, Lance Franklin, Patrick Dangerfield and Nat Fyfe are set to be the centre of the AFL’s revamped AFLX competition.

According to reports from Seven News Perth, the quartet would pick their own teams made of the game’s biggest names.

The concept is similar to the NBA’s All-Star game, where captains LeBron James and Steph Curry picked teams schoolyard style for the marquee match.

The report stated the one-night, four-team competition would take place on February 22 at Marvel Stadium with the AFL to confirm the changes next month.
The revamped model would replace the inaugural version where clubs were split into four groups and played around the country.

AFL clubs are set to meet on the proposal next week.

AFLX features 10 players on each side, with seven on the field and three substitutes, who compete across two 10-minute halves under a number of modified rules.

These include 10 points for a super goal, kicked from outside the 40m arc, as well as a kick in after any score and no time on.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...tory/a764a9585cb5e8d80ac0133dc1873f97?login=1

Can someome cut at paste the recent Rayner article in the HUN here?

Everyone was very excited about the content, Im not looking to start a conspiracy theory here, but I didn't love the qoute saying 'the next couple of years are going to be fun'.. its only subtle in its context but it raised my eyebrowes a bit. Theres alot of subtle meaning and nuisances in the way players form language with the future in mind and im sure theres nothing in it, but cant say it didnt catch my attention. Was there anything else referencing long term?

No. 1 draft pick Cameron Rayner says moving interstate was the best thing for his game
REBECCA WILLIAMS, Herald Sun
November 16, 2018 10:48am
Subscriber only
Top draft pick Cameron Rayner says it was a blessing in disguise for his game making the move interstate to escape the scrutiny of being the No.1 selection in footy-mad Melbourne.

As Rayner prepares to hand over the reins to a new No.1 pick in next week’s national draft, the Lions’ young gun believed his debut season in the AFL was made easier by being in Brisbane and out of the intense spotlight.

“Starting off was a little bit daunting I reckon, it (selection at No.1) was pretty publicised in the media and pretty big in the news,’’ Rayner said.

“But I reckon the best thing for me was coming to Brisbane, you kind of get out of the spotlight a little bit and you can just come up here and focus on your footy and your training.

“I think that was probably the most important thing I needed to do. Obviously going to an AFL club from junior footy was pretty hard and pretty tough.

So being able to come up here and not have to worry about not much beside my footy was probably a bit of a blessing in disguise.’’

Rayner, who hailed from the Western Jets, was taken at No.1 overall by the Lions in the 2017 national draft after winning all-Australian honours in the under-18s.

The exciting forward, who has signed with the Lions until the end of 2021, played 22 games in his debut season, kicking 20 goals.

581b555e86128794a0261017a9110d12

Cameron Rayner had an excellent debut season with the Lions. Picture: AAP
Reflecting on his debut season, Rayner admitted his start to the year “wasn’t up to scratch” but he was buoyed by a strong finish he hoped would set him up for a big 2019.

“I was just getting my bearings a little bit,’’ Rayner said.

“But as the year progressed I got a bit better and felt a bit more comfortable out there and the strong back-end to my season probably made me a little bit more excited for next year.’’

Standing at 187cm and weighing 87kg, Rayner said learning to play against more mature and bigger bodied players in the AFL had been his biggest adjustment in his first season.

“The bigger bodies are probably what took me by surprise, you are playing against full grown men and obviously being an 18-year-old for most of the year coming up against blokes that were 10 years older than me was a bit tough,’’ Rayner said.

“Playing in the (under) 18s I used my body around the contest a lot because I was a lot bigger than most of the other 18-year-olds I was playing against.

“Then when you come up against people that are a lot older than you it’s a lot harder to do. You kind of pick and choose when you do that and when you’ve got a strength advantage or if you need to beat someone off the start.

“I guess that made me a better footballer not just being able to do the one thing, being able to change the way you get the ball and have an impact … that’s probably what this year taught me is you can’t be a one trick pony.’’

d2e9d4335dc71bbf6af3f613ef7ac5a4

Rayner kicked 20 goals after playing all 22 games for the Lions in 2018. Picture: Getty Images
Initially floored by the Brisbane humidity last pre-season, Rayner said the start to this year’s summer preparations had so far been a little less challenging.

After five wins in 2018, he was excited about the Lions taking another step forward next year.

“I think the Brisbane Lions are going to be a pretty competitive team next year,’’ he said.

“Over the last couple of years we have kind of been waiting for everyone to grow up … and the majority of our core are starting to hit their prime in their age.

“You can see the main roles in the team are starting to be filled by these good young players. I think in the next couple of years it’s going to be exciting.’’

No. 1 draft pick Cameron Rayner says moving interstate was the best thing for his game
REBECCA WILLIAMS, Herald Sun
November 16, 2018 10:48am
Subscriber only
Top draft pick Cameron Rayner says it was a blessing in disguise for his game making the move interstate to escape the scrutiny of being the No.1 selection in footy-mad Melbourne.

As Rayner prepares to hand over the reins to a new No.1 pick in next week’s national draft, the Lions’ young gun believed his debut season in the AFL was made easier by being in Brisbane and out of the intense spotlight.

“Starting off was a little bit daunting I reckon, it (selection at No.1) was pretty publicised in the media and pretty big in the news,’’ Rayner said.

“But I reckon the best thing for me was coming to Brisbane, you kind of get out of the spotlight a little bit and you can just come up here and focus on your footy and your training.

“I think that was probably the most important thing I needed to do. Obviously going to an AFL club from junior footy was pretty hard and pretty tough.

So being able to come up here and not have to worry about not much beside my footy was probably a bit of a blessing in disguise.’’

Rayner, who hailed from the Western Jets, was taken at No.1 overall by the Lions in the 2017 national draft after winning all-Australian honours in the under-18s.

The exciting forward, who has signed with the Lions until the end of 2021, played 22 games in his debut season, kicking 20 goals.

581b555e86128794a0261017a9110d12

Cameron Rayner had an excellent debut season with the Lions. Picture: AAP
Reflecting on his debut season, Rayner admitted his start to the year “wasn’t up to scratch” but he was buoyed by a strong finish he hoped would set him up for a big 2019.

“I was just getting my bearings a little bit,’’ Rayner said.

“But as the year progressed I got a bit better and felt a bit more comfortable out there and the strong back-end to my season probably made me a little bit more excited for next year.’’

Standing at 187cm and weighing 87kg, Rayner said learning to play against more mature and bigger bodied players in the AFL had been his biggest adjustment in his first season.

“The bigger bodies are probably what took me by surprise, you are playing against full grown men and obviously being an 18-year-old for most of the year coming up against blokes that were 10 years older than me was a bit tough,’’ Rayner said.

“Playing in the (under) 18s I used my body around the contest a lot because I was a lot bigger than most of the other 18-year-olds I was playing against.

“Then when you come up against people that are a lot older than you it’s a lot harder to do. You kind of pick and choose when you do that and when you’ve got a strength advantage or if you need to beat someone off the start.

“I guess that made me a better footballer not just being able to do the one thing, being able to change the way you get the ball and have an impact … that’s probably what this year taught me is you can’t be a one trick pony.’’

d2e9d4335dc71bbf6af3f613ef7ac5a4

Rayner kicked 20 goals after playing all 22 games for the Lions in 2018. Picture: Getty Images
Initially floored by the Brisbane humidity last pre-season, Rayner said the start to this year’s summer preparations had so far been a little less challenging.

After five wins in 2018, he was excited about the Lions taking another step forward next year.

“I think the Brisbane Lions are going to be a pretty competitive team next year,’’ he said.

“Over the last couple of years we have kind of been waiting for everyone to grow up … and the majority of our core are starting to hit their prime in their age.

“You can see the main roles in the team are starting to be filled by these good young players. I think in the next couple of years it’s going to be exciting.’’

20181119_164543.png

The actual qoute... 'in the next couple of years'.. is very different to the way the club edited it on their insta.

Can someome cut at paste the recent Rayner article in the HUN here?

Everyone was very excited about the content, Im not looking to start a conspiracy theory here, but I didn't love the qoute saying 'the next couple of years are going to be fun'.. its only subtle in its context but it raised my eyebrowes a bit. Theres alot of subtle meaning and nuisances in the way players form language with the future in mind and im sure theres nothing in it, but cant say it didnt catch my attention. Was there anything else referencing long term?

You. Are. Paranoid. Seriously paranoid. Chicken Little paranoid.

You. Are. Paranoid. Seriously paranoid. Chicken Little paranoid.

Narr Mate. They are managed and play the game more than ever. Did you happen to follow the Beams thing at all? Players hold their tounge in specific terms and there's always bits a and pieces you can find within language, youll catch up with the way the modern player operates at some stage.

Narr Mate. They are managed and play the game more than ever. Did you happen to follow the Beams thing at all? Players hold their tounge in specific terms and there's always bits a and pieces you can find within language, youll catch up with the way the modern player operates at some stage.
All that I get from that article is how excited I am for the next couple of years!

paranoia
/ˌparəˈnɔɪə/
noun
  1. a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically worked into an organized system.

All that I get from that article is how excited I am for the next couple of years!

So do I. I asked for a copy of the article to clarify a qoute (that was in any case rather harmless) and the qoute I read elsewhere - was not what he said, at all. So that is sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back