Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

My favourite part of the jumper are the stories contained within:

The individual Totems of players from all corners of our country and traditional dot art to represent the different journeys each took to join the Brisbane Lions are the features of the Club’s 2020 Indigenous guernsey.

The guernsey, designed by veteran Allen Christensen, pays respect to all the current Indigenous players from the Brisbane Lions AFL and AFLW teams. The Totems, which circle a Lion on the front of the guernsey, tell the stories of each players’ family or clan and defines their roles and responsibilities.

Flying foxes, emus, lizards and sharks are some of the Totem’s of the Lions’ current Indigenous players. Christensen said each player had a unique heritage and the use of Totems on the design allowed the club to celebrate the individuality of the Indigenous players. “Totems represent who we are, they are an important part of our identities,’’ he said.

By connecting the Totems with dot art he was able to illustrate the merging of different cultures together at the Club. “None of the lines are symmetrical and that illustrates that not every journey is the same but we are all in the same place as one mob,” he said.

He said the events of 2020 had made a profound impact on the Indigenous community in Australia and to be able to celebrate his culture through the design of the guernsey was a special feeling. “The guernsey has been designed to represent the current Indigenous players of the Club. This year has been like no other, so to be able to create a design that represents us Indigenous players for 2020 has been an honour,’’ he said.

Modern Aboriginal brush art is also used in the design to incorporate the Club colours. The base of the guernsey features the Lions colours with maroon fading into red at the very bottom as a nod to the Lions’ Fitzroy roots.

Player Totems

Allen Christensen’s Totem is Tarnikini, a flying fox that represents his family and the Tiwi Islands.

Charlie Cameron’s Totem is Thanba, a shovelnose shark which is the male Totem from the Gunbah Clan of Mornington Island.

Cedric Cox’s (Jaru – Western Australia) totem is a lizard, which was latched to him as a child, which is how his Totem belongs to him.

Callum Ah Chee, from Bindjareb country, through his Mum, has a Bindjareb animal totem given to him by his Pop and clan Elder. The Kwoora, a wallaby, is his responsibility to treat them well and with respect.

Cameron Ellis-Yolmen, the sleepy Lizard represents the Kothara/Wirrungu people of the West Coast of South Australia. His Totem has a strong exterior and manner and tells him to always be loyal.

Keidean Coleman – the kangaroo represents his tribe, the Dalabon people of the Northern Territory.
1594360337939.png

Ally Anderson, is a Gangulu (Central Queensland) and her Totem is an emu which is her family’s Totem.

Dakota Davidson’s Totem Connewarre, or black swan represents her great, great grandfather’s family from the Gunditjmara/Ngarrindjeri mob in Point McLeay, South West Victoria.

good to see the AFLW players represented too. I forget, but do they wear an indigenous jersey too? Hope so

what a breath of fresh air that was the read. Added on top of all those issues is the bizarre close-ups and shots to allow us weak-hearted viewers not see the horrendous empty stands this year.

Its not an unenviable task to direct the cameras I suppose. But judging from the commentators they choose they're not at all interested in making the game an interesting/enjoyable aspect for the footy, but rather a spectacle.... The part that stood out to me was what they show after a goal. You don't need to be a tactical genius to offer a perspective of how they got to that point.

The point about being more interested in the haircuts/tattoos of the players is, while funny, so sad. If I want that type of view i'd go to their instagram etc. Watching the game I want to see the whole game... not Dangerfield smirking or Selwood whinging to the umps :p I guess the spectacle of a superstar is more important that showing more than the 10m radius around the ball..

I think most of these could be lessened by competent commentators who fill in those gaps. Its sad really.

The Suns will probably be lucky to win 6 games this year. They’ll miss the finals for the next couple of seasons and then will probably start losing some of their guns. Nothing to worry about.

The Suns will probably be lucky to win 6 games this year. They’ll miss the finals for the next couple of seasons and then will probably start losing some of their guns. Nothing to worry about.
Yep, tipped the Dees with confidence last night which is a sentence rarely spoken. Suns always start the year well then fall off a cliff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah same things were said back in 2010 multiple flags etc and nothing. Will lose a few for sure- thinking Rankine and Lukosius back to the Crows or Port

I believe this time is different for the Suns.

They have enough experienced players, with enough quality, in the midfield and up forward, to surround the kids while they develop.

I believe most of their kids stay long enough for them to experience success.

From all reports, Rankine doesn’t appear to be a flight risk.

Guess the only way we find out is time.

They have enough experienced players, with enough quality, in the midfield and up forward, to surround the kids while they develop.

I think for the best part, they seem invested.
For the first time in their History, I actually think most of them want to be there.
And that is all you can ask really.
Now they need to consistently win games, if they do that, the more invested they will become.
And the harder it will become to prise them away.

I think for the best part, they seem invested.
For the first time in their History, I actually think most of them want to be there.
And that is all you can ask really.
Now they need to consistently win games, if they do that, the more invested they will become.
And the harder it will become to prise them away.
The main issue I see, besides them being young, is their fitness and injury prevention. That’s been a big issue for them in recent years, massive injury lists, with a lot of their best 22 out for extended periods.

I agree looking from the outside in things look more positive.
Some other things to consider over the previous years
Trained out of makeshift facilities during the many years of Commonwealth Games construction.
Then when facilities finished still had no use of them till the latter part of the year.
Played lots of home games away that year also.
Not paying big money to the likes of Hunt and Ablett. I know the AFL contributed but they still possibly cost the salary cap a lot.
Drug issues that came out later over a few seasons. No wonder players wanted out
Travel to China was no help either in my opinion

Recently
Bought in a good solid defender 2 years ago in Collins from Fremantle.
Ballard now looks more at home in defense and could turn into a super player for them
Recruited well in Greenwood and Ellis this year
Add some super low draft picks that are actually good to great.
Things should be looking up for the Suns especially 2021.
However 2021 is the year of the Lion. A Lions v Suns GF sounds great to me.

Something I haven’t missed at home games this year is the ground announcers yelling get loud Lions etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back