Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Two AFL life members announced with links to us:
  • Shane O'Sullivan, first GM of the Bears, for years of service including stints leading three clubs.
  • Matthew Clarke, who's AFLW coaching job nudged him over the 300 total games (premiership, preseason, rep, and coached) threshold 20-ish years after he hung up the boots.

Voss with the game sealer!

For those who's twitter links don't load:

Leigh Matthews: In team sport I have always believed champion players make champion coaches not vice versa , the great Tom Brady is currently a prime example

Michael Voss: So you really would have been just player of the century without us...I knew it.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Just get rid of "Australia Day" altogether, I've never seen any meaning/significance in it at all, just another holiday ah la the Queens Birthday.

I see Anzac Day as a day of national importance re commemoration full of many emotions, if you have been to a dawn service you will know what I mean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just cannot see how changing the date will make any difference. The past is past and can't be changed, it is what it is.

Unfortunately I feel a good portion of the protesters will never be happy. "Invasion Day" "Kill the Colony" "...pay $1mill to each Indigenous person"

"Our babies are are still being stolen" etc.......on that one, look after them properly and they won't be. That applies to everyone.

These BLM (all people matter) protests goes straight back to that fellow in America who died at the hands of police. They have just grown and grown since then, right around the world.

All it is doing is causing division and resentment on all sides. Looking to the future together, realistically and honestly, is the only way.

Just cannot see how changing the date will make any difference. The past is past and can't be changed, it is what it is.

Unfortunately I feel a good portion of the protesters will never be happy. "Invasion Day" "Kill the Colony" "...pay $1mill to each Indigenous person"

"Our babies are are still being stolen" etc.......on that one, look after them properly and they won't be. That applies to everyone.

These BLM (all people matter) protests goes straight back to that fellow in America who died at the hands of police. They have just grown and grown since then, right around the world.

All it is doing is causing division and resentment on all sides. Looking to the future together, realistically and honestly, is the only way.

How many indigenous elders have you spoken to about the significance of Jan 26th?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I definitely think it's important to have a day where people of all walks of life can come together and celebrate life.

A day considered an indigenous day of mourning is NOT that day.
Don't change the date of Australia Day just get rid of it altogether and make Reconciliation Day a National public holiday where we celebrate/respect our Indigenous brothers/sisters culture. I've been to Indigenous lands recently ie Kakadu and the locals are very welcoming and love to tell their stories.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If federation wasn't Jan 1 it probably would've been changed already lol. But A. Jan 1st is already a holiday so no way on earth would anyone be voting for that, and B. Don't think I could back up from NYE celebrations & go straight into Australia day celebrations. Back twenty years ago maybe, but not now :D

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How many indigenous elders have you spoken to about the significance of Jan 26th?

None personally but I have heard quite a few indigenous people speak over the years, have read quite a bit too. Have huge repect for the views of Warren Mundine and Jacinta Price for trying to see and achieve a level playing field for all of us.....and its there for those that want it.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
This issue is being discussed rather heatedly on various non footy related boards on Big Footy, I have plagiarized this one which I thought was a concise beautiful sentiment.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

The biggest things we can do as a nation is listen more, open our hearts and act in good faith. We've done it before (a little bit), it made things better and it wasn't the end of the world.

Didn't see Fages but great to know he was there too!
A6199D50-D4B4-49AF-BA87-FB7E189C8D6F.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back