Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Better get in first after realising Tony Kelly didn't become Chairman until a year or so later.

Still - he was Deputy Chairman. He and Michael Bowers still suck. The move was still stupid ass coverage.

It is hardly a glowing endorsement of current directors Graeme Downie (especially) who was the Chairman at the time, or current Chairman Angus Johnson, or current director Linda Nash who were both also on the Board at the time.

I can see the logic in it.

It seems to be a safeguard against board members being elected on sentiment.

The Hall of Fame waits a few years after players retire before they are eligible to be inducted. This is presumably to let the hype subside and to let the emotions die down, so a more objective assessment can be made.

I'm guessing the rule in the constitution is based on the same principle.

Re: Parkin appointed to panel to assess Voss

Voss must at least coach us to 4 more wins to keep his job.If we win less then 5 for the whole then we tanked the season.Which usually means goodbye.If that happened and he stays he better win 5 of the first 10 next year.

Who you think Parkin will bring on board as the mentor to Michael Voss.I'm sure if he don't push him down the stairs he will have a huge role to play in that ?

Why is it Rubbish it's the truth if this side can't win more then 5 games then F me dead.This is starting to become the Terry Wallace football club accept it and move on Browndog.I'm a Victorian surround by Demons,Tigers and Blues supporters who all agree you need a new coach this bloke ain't doing you any favours if you win 5 games or less then say good bye.Even the Melbourne fans want Bailey out.Hope that gives you a clearer picture.

Maybe wrong thread =(.Oh well you ask you receive Brown Dog.

Hopefully Parkin can push the board to bring in the Fitzroy history and records on to our honour board.If you can do that then the Lion can come back if not leave it as is.Hopefully you can turn this club around Parko all the best.

Why is it Rubbish it's the truth if this side can't win more then 5 games then F me dead.This is starting to become the Terry Wallace football club accept it and move on Browndog.I'm a Victorian surround by Demons,Tigers and Blues supporters who all agree you need a new coach this bloke ain't doing you any favours if you win 5 games or less then say good bye.Even the Melbourne fans want Bailey out.Hope that gives you a clearer picture.

Maybe wrong thread =(.Oh well you ask you receive Brown Dog.

Hopefully Parkin can push the board to bring in the Fitzroy history and records on to our honour board.If you can do that then the Lion can come back if not leave it as is.Hopefully you can turn this club around Parko all the best.

Since when did the opinions of Demons, Tigers & Vi$y supporters mean s**t to us? Sounds more like you can't handle your mates trolling you while we're going through a tough time MBE. And if you honestly can't see the stupidity in claiming a bloke leading with his head was playing for a team of tankers, well, actually I can't really say I'm surprised. Voss has made public his feelings about tanking before, and is the last bloke you could ever lay that claim on. I'd suggest if you put that crap to him personally, the look you'd get could probably turn you to stone.

Have I done this right or wrong ?

Looking for a Straight answer.We going to get the old jumpers back or there is no coming back now ? Sick of beating around the bush with this subject.If you do give them back count Fitzroys history and Records with it if not then no use bringing in the old lion if you aren't going to count Fitzroy.

If people are with me on the both and not just the jumper.Join me

Your Sincerly
Michael

Membership ID: 1823369 I'm only a one off bronze member, So Gold and Silvers join in.

Will also send to every footy show we can contact and make some noise.You want to be heard then let's do it but better then last time.

If someone want's to re-word it then by all means go ahead, but please add both subjects.

We haven't been tanking... sheesh. Not yet. We might in rounds 20-24, but not yet. When discussing the losses, essentially we've been either:
a) genuinely shyte (eg. Swans game, Bulldogs game) and/or completely outplayed
b) competitive
c) competitive but 'not helped' by the umps
d) competitive and screwed over by McPharlin's 'lazy' knee

At no stage have I thought we've been deliberately losing for the purposes of getting better draft picks. IMO crazy to suggest it. For a start, who'd do that given GWS and GC are getting the prime juicy picks at the moment.

People say things and do the complete opposite.You too far biased Voss fan to argue the point with and you can say the opposite to me.

People say things and do the complete opposite.You too far biased Voss fan to argue the point with and you can say the opposite to me.

Want to provide some evidence that we have been tanking, and not just playing poorly or been unlucky?

Even if they do change the jumpers at the end of the season, they would not announce it publicly until the end of the year due to the fact it would greatly annoy our jumper manufacturer (affect on sales for this year).

Sure were I start.Stopped playing in the first half against Gold Coast,They ran out of legs so let's make it look close in the end.Gold Coast win the rivalry begin's.

Richmond game foot off the peddle in the last, Melbourne game pretty much the same.

Hmmm Last week they didn't look bothered at all.

If you want more I can keep going.

Say what you like they can play 2 good games when the pressure is on Voss then go to sleep after that when the talk dies down.Gets interesting when you look at it that way.=)

Quit while you're behind MBE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say what you like they can play 2 good games when the pressure is on Voss then go to sleep after that when the talk dies down.Gets interesting when you look at it that way.=)

Not really since all those examples are of a young side struggling to play four quarters of football consistently rather than a grand plan by Voss to tank.

Apart from the fact that there's little incentive to tank this season with GWS having most of the top picks in the draft.

Sure were I start.Stopped playing in the first half against Gold Coast,They ran out of legs so let's make it look close in the end.Gold Coast win the rivalry begin's.

Richmond game foot off the peddle in the last, Melbourne game pretty much the same.

Sorry MBE, but no team could set up tanking that well, Tanking is the coach making moves that aren't in the best interests of winning the game. What you are suggesting above is match fixing and sorry in my opinion incorrect.

I am on the fence with Voss, seeing the appointment's to overlook him over the remainder of the season makes me happy to leave it in their hands and agree with whatever they decide.

Setting people on here to "ignore" so I don't see their posts only works if you mob don't keep quoting them all the time or replying to them ;):rolleyes::p

I can't stand how the previous administration changed our Constitution basically to cover their own asses and not necessarily to benefit the Club.

I have always thought the previous Board were nothing more than a bunch of self-serving w***ers who were driven by their own inflating egos.

TONY KELLY AND MICHAEL BOWERS WERE ABSOLUTE w***erS.

Well said, I have nothing but hatred for these two clowns.

im pretty sure to tank the coach has make changes mid game. I believe some people have accused Voss of not making any tactical changes *cough I wonder who cough*. Can't have your cake and eat it too I'm afraid.

Why on earth is 'tanking' being discussed? Our club just simply does not employ such a spineless tactic.

The proof - in Rd 22, 1998, we were dead last and even a win wouldn't change the position, but a loss would've enabled us to gain a priority pick one, in addition to the first pick anyway. We played the Saints, a finals team, and we fought it out and won by a single point and thus eliminating our priority pick...Andrew Bews' last game too IIRC.

Re, Parkin...fantastic appointment with a credible opinion.:thumbsu:

The proof - in Rd 22, 1998, we were dead last and even a win wouldn't change the position, but a loss would've enabled us to gain a priority pick one, in addition to the first pick anyway. We played the Saints, a finals team, and we fought it out and won by a single point and thus eliminating our priority pick...Andrew Bews' last game too IIRC.

...and thirteen years later, that is still one of my favourite Lions' moments. Even if we hadn't gone on to win the flags, I never would have regretted that win for a second.

Sorry for interrupting the MBE playoffs, but on another completely random note I wonder how many Lions supporters - even old Fitzroy supporters - realised that Norm Smith once was playing coach for the Roys for 17 games over three years at the end of his career, or that during that period he was also non playing coach for an additional 38 games. I guess he was hard on himself at the selection table (or more likely only played when we had injury problems, or he himself had injury problems).

It was Norm Smith's first coaching stint before moving on to coach 6 premierships in 10 years at Melbourne.

Anyway, I rediscovered all of this after seeing an article on Norm being honoured with a statue outside the MCG (joining Leigh Matthews, Haydn Bunton, Dick Reynolds, Ron Barassi, Don Bradman, Keith Miller, Bill Ponsford, Dennis Lillee, Shirley Strickland and Betty Cuthbert).
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/115761/default.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Smith

His brother Len Smith played 75 games for Fitzroy and coached us for 5 years, including two finals series and was given the honour of being named Coach in the Fitzroy Team of the Century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Len_Smith_(footballer)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzroy_Football_Club#Team_of_the_Century

You've taken ludicrous, and turned it up to 11.

How about a win away from home against a team that is likely to be in a similar ladder position at the end of the year - ie. getting similar picks. If you were going to tank, you'd think you would tank against Adelaide so they'd get an extra win.

How about the game against StKilda. Our mob tried their guts out.

How about the win against North. When you're well behind at half time, if you were trying to tank, you wouldn't come back to win.

I have not been a fan of Voss's coaching this year. I thought he coached dumb against the GC for instance, and I have said that on here. So don't think I'm on his bandwagon.

But to think that we're deliberately losing matches is sheer folly.

Back to the Lions Board of Directors / Constitution, coincidentally the following article was just written about Lynchy rejecting a recent offer to join the Board. At least Angus Johnson can be congratulated for trying to get him back involved in the Club.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/lynch-rejects-lions-offer-20110607-1fr21.html

ALASTAIR Lynch has refused an invitation to join the Brisbane Lions board, admitting such a role would prove an unacceptable conflict of interest.

Back to the Lions Board of Directors / Constitution, coincidentally the following article was just written about Lynchy rejecting a recent offer to join the Board. At least Angus Johnson can be congratulated for trying to get him back involved in the Club.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/lynch-rejects-lions-offer-20110607-1fr21.html

U forgot the best bit

At some stage at another time I would like to get more involved, but not now.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...lions-offer-20110607-1fr21.html#ixzz1OfyZYvfV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back