Football Related Random Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

If memory serves the AFL streaming license is limited to devices 7 or 8 inches or smaller to prevent it being a direct competitor with Foxtel, hence you can only view it on a mobile device.

I figured out a few loopholes on Samsung galaxy to get around that. It's doable.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is it possible the Suns won’t be as bad this year as everyone expects?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Apparently the NRL are considering a wildcard weekend(call it what it is ie. a final 10) for next season. I hope the AFL never go down that path, absolutely despise the idea, rewards mediocrity, maintain the elite nature of the finals please.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Apparently the NRL are considering a wildcard weekend(call it what it is ie. a final 10) for next season. I hope the AFL never go down that path, absolutely despise the idea, rewards mediocrity, maintain the elite nature of the finals please.

In the NFL it makes sense because only 12 of 32 make the playoffs so you need the 4 best non-division winners in it, particularly where the second place in a division may be the second best team in the conference (eg 2013 where the Seahawks and 49ers were in the same division).

But it doesn't make any sense for us as it would put over half of the comp into finals which is clearly ridiculous.

marooned

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just heard on Macquarie radio the player with the fastest recorded speed in a game is Majak Daw.Completely suprised me that he is the quickest obviously at top speed.

You could look at wildcard round from another perspective, that it is not part of the finals but rather is a qualifier to make it to finals. Right now, it is incredibly rare that a team from 7th or 8th makes it to a grand final. Arguably, they already dilute the "elite" nature of finals. Inserting a wildcard round instead of the bye round actually says that we have a top 6, with two additional finals places available to the clubs who can prove they are in form.

Last year, 1.5 wins separated 7th from 12th. 4.5 wins separated 1st from 7th. That doesn't hold true in every year but I reckon, in a good 50% of seasons, the team coming 9th has a record which is pretty comparable to the team coming 7th/8th.

If we assume an 8 team finals remains static, I'd rather see a 7th place team have to earn their way into finals footy by beating a side in the same vicinity on the ladder than be given largely the same opportunity as the team coming 5th.

To me, there is very little downside to a wildcard round. Occasionally, you might punish a quality side (eg Western Bulldogs in 2016 came 7th with something like 15 wins, and then won the flag). But, as someone who grew up with a final 5, I think there is more integrity in making sides which come 7th or 8th win a playoff to play finals than just "gifting" them a spot.

You could look at wildcard round from another perspective, that it is not part of the finals but rather is a qualifier to make it to finals. Right now, it is incredibly rare that a team from 7th or 8th makes it to a grand final. Arguably, they already dilute the "elite" nature of finals. Inserting a wildcard round instead of the bye round actually says that we have a top 6, with two additional finals places available to the clubs who can prove they are in form.

Last year, 1.5 wins separated 7th from 12th. 4.5 wins separated 1st from 7th. That doesn't hold true in every year but I reckon, in a good 50% of seasons, the team coming 9th has a record which is pretty comparable to the team coming 7th/8th.

If we assume an 8 team finals remains static, I'd rather see a 7th place team have to earn their way into finals footy by beating a side in the same vicinity on the ladder than be given largely the same opportunity as the team coming 5th.

To me, there is very little downside to a wildcard round. Occasionally, you might punish a quality side (eg Western Bulldogs in 2016 came 7th with something like 15 wins, and then won the flag). But, as someone who grew up with a final 5, I think there is more integrity in making sides which come 7th or 8th win a playoff to play finals than just "gifting" them a spot.

Well spoke, POBT> I detest the bye round, and this format will improve the overall standing of a season, IMO.

And, it would fill in that stupid bloody bye week just before finals!

Id imagine most people's angst come from the angle that 10 teams are playing what is considered finals footy. If those last 4 are disadvantaged by not having that extra week bye then I'd be ok with it especially given not every team plays each other twice. This opens up anomalies due to the draw which in reality needs a method to correct this because you can't really say that the team finishing 8th is definitely better than the team finishing 9th due to the draw affect.

Where I think it especially has merit is if the AFL finally bites the bullet and implements a fixed conference system rather than this stupid floating conference system they've created. That's where wild card stuff becomes valuable as it can be used to balance conference inequality

In the NFL it makes sense because only 12 of 32 make the playoffs so you need the 4 best non-division winners in it, particularly where the second place in a division may be the second best team in the conference (eg 2013 where the Seahawks and 49ers were in the same division).

But it doesn't make any sense for us as it would put over half of the comp into finals which is clearly ridiculous.

Putting the number aside, the AFL operates a conference system each year with the draw, it's just not called that and it's not fixed. Therefore there would be merit to having a wild card of sorts to mitigate this

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I just don't like the feel/look of 10 teams out of 18 making finals, not as bad as the A League though where you have 6 out of 10 in the finals:rolleyes: in fact I think the ideal finals format and number is 5 but that is never going to happen again.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Can’t remember if I mentioned it yesterday. Our academy boys are playing GC’s academy this weekend.

Anyone know anything about this, or might be going?

Zorko and Harris Andrews are the only Lions players in Robbo's top 50 published yesterday. When asked by Gerard on AFL360 which player not included he has received most grief over he said 'definitely Lachie Neale'. Pretty much admitted he got that one wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if he forgot about him.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Zorko and Harris Andrews are the only Lions players in Robbo's top 50 published yesterday. When asked by Gerard on AFL360 which player not included he has received most grief over he said 'definitely Lachie Neale'. Pretty much admitted he got that one wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if he forgot about him.
And Dayne Beams was no. 21.:rolleyes:

From memory, James Siciily was ahead of either one (Andrews) or both.:drunk:

How Lachie Neale wasn't ahead of 80% of the players list was laughable.

And Dayne Beams was no. 21.:rolleyes:

From memory, James Siciily was ahead of either one (Andrews) or both.:drunk:

How Lachie Neale wasn't ahead of 80% of the players list was laughable.
Well to be fair Robbo had had a lot of bourbon when he scratched the list onto the back of a coaster and gave it to the intern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back