Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Sep 24, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0566.JPG

Here's my new Guernsey with a number 7 ironed on.

This should really help a club like the Lions::rolleyes:

Perhaps I'm really simple, but why is increased post-season player movement seen as such a good thing? All I can think of is that it keeps the AFL and the talking heads relevant post AFL finals series well into December and keeps the AFL industry ticking over well beyond the season's finished.

We have been major winners with player movement and they make up a big chunk of our current best 22 - Neale, Lyons, McCarthy, Robinson, Cameron, walker, Martin, hodge and Bastinac. Does Zorko count as well?

Building from the draft worked when all players stayed at the same club but once movement started the standard of top teams improved as they added better talent. Don’t think it’s possible to build only from the draft anymore.

marooned

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That surface at Marvel is as bad as when it opened.Shut the Bloody roof for games while you’re at it

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
That surface at Marvel is as bad as when it opened.Shut the Bloody roof for games while you’re at it
I still can't believe we even need to have this conversation.

It is terrible viewing for both fans at home and at the ground, the players, coaches and commentators yet the roof is still open during day games.

I thought a decision was made last year or even the year before that it would be closed for all day games, yet here we are in 2019 and it still isn't closed.

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I still can't believe we even need to have this conversation.

It is terrible viewing for both fans at home and at the ground, the players, coaches and commentators yet the roof is still open during day games.

I thought a decision was made last year or even the year before that it would be closed for all day games, yet here we are in 2019 and it still isn't closed.

They mentioned early in today’s telecast the surface is poor and so needs all the sun it can get. Aestheticly it’s not great but it’s watchable.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
It’s had all summer to grow grass.Its a disgrace.David Swallow has hurt his knee thanks to the turf and we are about to put our boys out there.
Yes, I'll be bloody spewing if one of our boys does themselves an injury because of the surface. It's not as bad as the SCG though, it's deplorable.

Does anyone know how Michael Close is going with his legal action re his knee injury there a few years ago?

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It’s had all summer to grow grass.Its a disgrace.David Swallow has hurt his knee thanks to the turf and we are about to put our boys out there.

I agree, but I was responding to a different criticism- that the roof being open is poor experience for the TV viewer. I guess my point is I’d rather have it open and have better turf that have it closed and have it look better on TV.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I agree, but I was responding to a different criticism- that the roof being open is poor experience for the TV viewer. I guess my point is I’d rather have it open and have better turf that have it closed and have it look better on TV.
It is a poor experience for those at the ground and on TV. Surely closing it for 3 hours isn't going to change a lot so that the viewing experience isn't compromised when the roof can stay open for the other 165 hours of the week.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox

The system again needs an overhaul because I don't agree with Christian's comments at all regarding most of this clip.

Also, if Darcy is copping a $1K fine for what he did on Ryan, then surely everyone who ran into Max Gawn when the ball wasn't in play also should be copping fines too.

The system again needs an overhaul because I don't agree with Christian's comments at all regarding most of this clip.

Also, if Darcy is copping a $1K fine for what he did on Ryan, then surely everyone who ran into Max Gawn when the ball wasn't in play also should be copping fines too.

I agree, he has lost the plot!.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
The non-suspension of Cunnington is even more absurd based on this:

IT WAS labelled a 'crackdown' on striking. But in reality, the harsher interpretations on intentional punches will have little effect on how the Match Review and its head honcho Michael Christian will operate in 2019. Instead, the AFL's clampdown was supposed to come from the umpires. For every punch this season, the game's officiators had been instructed to pay a free kick.

For all of the talk and public commentary on harsher penalties for striking offences, there were no actual changes made to the way the Match Review interprets them. Perhaps it's where the confusion surrounding Ben Cunnington's fine stems from.

As the rules currently stand, blame for Cunnington's relatively lenient penalty – a $2000 fine, rather than a one-match suspension – shouldn't fall at the feet of Christian. Rather, according to the League, it was an error on behalf of the deepest umpire closest to the North Melbourne goal during that incident, who should have spotted the infringement. The AFL publicly acknowledged that mistake on Tuesday.

Such a change came about after AFL coaches suggested that free kick for off-the-ball strikes would act as a bigger deterrent for players than fines.

While they might not care if their players are hurt at the hip pocket, coaches certainly would if one of their misdemeanours changed the momentum of a game. In turn, you can assume the resulting bake from a coach would certainly make a player reconsider whether they would commit such an act in the future. However, would simply paying a free kick quell those baying for a heftier punishment?

Sydney premiership coach Paul Roos and Melbourne champion Garry Lyon were among the voices demanding for a statement to be made on strikes following the Cunnington incident. It's unlikely their stance would have been softened just by an umpire paying a free kick.

But rather than calling for a complete overhaul of the way the Match Review deals with incidents like Cunnington's, perhaps a routine minor change to the guidelines might be a more reasonable request to finally eradicate intentional strikes and calm fan dissatisfaction.

While clubs across the competition – and, in particular, the coaches – unanimously agreed on the current approach over the summer, the commentary in the 24 hours since the Match Review's decision on Cunnington makes it clear that the footy public isn't on the same page. However, in terms of the way the Match Review has been instructed to interpret incidents like Cunnington's, there was little scope for Christian to upgrade his penalty on Monday.

His job, quite simply, is to work within the guidelines given to him by the AFL. It's believed a favourable medical report from Fremantle certainly helped Cunnington's case, ensuring there was little means for Christian to upgrade the level of impact from low to medium and subsequently handing him a harsher penalty. Again, this points to the need to change those guidelines to stamp out intentional strikes.

As of Tuesday, AFL.com.au understands that a number of options to ensure that heavier punishments from the Match Review can be handed down are being considered. It's believed that one such option currently being contemplated at AFL House is to immediately bump the level of impact by one grading for any strike deemed intentional. Should that particular approach be adopted, it would mean Cunnington's strike would be automatically upgraded from low to medium impact, equating to a one-match ban.

For now, any immediate change appears doubtful.
However, until those guidelines are amended, it's highly unlikely discontent from footy fans will subside when the next punch is dished out.

So a free kick would be a bigger deterrent that a suspension or fine.:drunk:

What's the bet one of our lads will throw a punch similar to Cunnington's and be suspended this year?

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
What's the bet one of our lads will throw a punch similar to Cunnington's and be suspended this year?

Geez, I hope not - I'm all for roughing the opponent up, but biffing them is taking it a step too far. Added to that, I think it's a tactic that is employed to best effect when you are a big, tough team (like we were) rather than a young, up and coming bunch. When younger teams do it, it sometimes suggests to me that their minds aren't on the job of winning the bloody game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back