Football Related Random Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

We have five wins and we have beaten a team from each state this year! West Coast, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast and Sydney!
I see WA, Tassie, SA, Qld and NSW but where's the Victorian team?

I suffered my way through the Freo v Crows game and thought Pearce played well enough and think he's got potential. Following that I'd noticed random media about Pearce being a potential AA this year which I was frankly shocked about. He's good but is he at AA level? I'm not quite sure from the few games I've seen this year. I thought pound for pound he'd be on Josh Walkers level , but was surprised to see the stats.

Walker has him covered in everything from marks, disposals and efficiency. Given they're both intercepting defenders, I was surprised walker was that far in front. I checked 1%ers and Pearce averages 5 and Walker sits at 4.

I'm not saying Walker is AA, but I certainly can't see how Pearce is AA based off what I've seen on field and in the stats. Interesting comparison at the very least.

Screenshot_20190509-113909_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20190509-113915_Samsung Internet.jpg

WA Lion

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I suffered my way through the Freo v Crows game and thought Pearce played well enough and think he's got potential. Following that I'd noticed random media about Pearce being a potential AA this year which I was frankly shocked about. He's good but is he at AA level? I'm not quite sure from the few games I've seen this year. I thought pound for pound he'd be on Josh Walkers level , but was surprised to see the stats.

Walker has him covered in everything from marks, disposals and efficiency. Given they're both intercepting defenders, I was surprised walker was that far in front. I checked 1%ers and Pearce averages 5 and Walker sits at 4.

I'm not saying Walker is AA, but I certainly can't see how Pearce is AA based off what I've seen on field and in the stats. Interesting comparison at the very least.

View attachment 670122View attachment 670123
Perhaps it is telling that there probably hasn't been quite as much talk about AA for Pearce over here. He has certainly had a couple of very impressive games, and his recovery from a serious leg injury has been impressive, but having watched fair bit of him this year I wouldn't have in AA calculations at this stage personally

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

View attachment 670122View attachment 670123

I really don’t think they look at those stats for AA selection.

Pearce is a lock down defender. Walker doesn’t take the oppositions number 1 key forward. Pearce is a gun key back.

I really don’t think they look at those stats for AA selection.

Pearce is a lock down defender. Walker doesn’t take the oppositions number 1 key forward. Pearce is a gun key back.

I think Pearce is a good player, don't get me wrong. But AA level? I think not. That's based off of two games mind you but I'm not sure he's at that level yet.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Yer, from my viewing of Darcy Moore he has been exceptional down back for the Pies.

Edit- Got me thinking so I started a thread/poll on the Polls board, Andrews v Moore, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Get over there and vote for Harris:D, I'll have more interest in this poll than the one on the 15th.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yer, from my viewing of Darcy Moore he has been exceptional down back for the Pies.

Edit- Got me thinking so I started a thread/poll on the Polls board, Andrews v Moore, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Get over there and vote for Harris:D, I'll have more interest in this poll than the one on the 15th.

He's been good, but he's had 6 weeks of Aaron Naughton praise.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Speaking of Simon Black

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/32b3fe0f9c507019bb9ebd8da3cb9782

Brisbane champ Simon Black should be a walk-up inclusion for the Hall of Fame, writes @Robbo_heraldsun

Simon Black should be a walk-up inclusion for the Hall of Fame, writes Mark Robinson
Mark Robinson, Herald Sun
May 10, 2019 7:39pm

When Simon Black was 25, he might’ve been the most decorated 25-year-old player of all time.

The majestic Brisbane Lions ball-winner had won a Brownlow Medal, a Norm Smith Medal, three All-Australians, two club best and fairests and was a member of three premierships.

It was a rolled gold resume.

He finished with 322 games over 16 seasons and is arguably Brisbane’s second-greatest player behind Michael Voss.

It’s widely accepted Voss is No.1. So Vossy, who would be No.2?

“I don't know,” he said with laugh.

“Blacky’s a ripper bloke, you couldn’t meet a more humble person. He shied the limelight, just got his job done, was close to our hardest worker.

“I find it difficult to rank them because it's like ranking your kids.

“But when you have a playing profile like Blacky has, he's in the conversation of our best five ever.

“You’ve got Jonathan Brown, Nigel Lappin, there's four straight away you could throw a blanket over. And ‘Aker’ would be up there, absolutely.”

The one accolade remaining for Black is the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

That surely will be added to his list of achievements when the Hall of Fame dinner is held on June 4.

This year, up to eight players, coaches, administrators, umpires and media representatives will be inducted.

There will be no Legend.

The debate about the next legend will be held about this time next year.

Some would argue he was better than Voss

Personal opinion, but I would pick Voss first in any team. His leadership skills were amazing and are only captured in three important stats: 2001, 2002 and 2003 premierships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back