Football Related Random Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Sep 24, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So you know how if a Grand Final is still drawn at the end of the two 10 minute halves of extra time, they have a golden point where whoever scores first wins? One argument against this is that it should be golden goal. And then the rebuttal is that teams can win if even if they have less goals by having lots more behinds. I think the best possible way around this would be: first team to score 6 or more points, whether it be via a goal or 6 behinds, should be the winner.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So you know how if a Grand Final is still drawn at the end of the two 10 minute halves of extra time, they have a golden point where whoever scores first wins? One argument against this is that it should be golden goal. And then the rebuttal is that teams can win if even if they have less goals by having lots more behinds. I think the best possible way around this would be: first team to score 6 or more points, whether it be via a goal or 6 behinds, should be the winner.
The stupidest thing about this is that there is no warning when going from extra time to golden point. No siren and bringing it back to a centre bounce. Just straight into it.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Have been away this past week at the beach, so was disappointed I couldn't attend the Arthur Wilson dinner. Did anyone else go and have any thoughts about he night, looked like another strong turn out?

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Ross Lyon, the young gun from Reservoir, played 127 Games at Fitzroy, 2 Games at Brisbane Bears & showed class when he represented Victoria. He was a smart, quick (or so it seemed), gutsy player who excited fans with his strong work in the middle, his Zorko like goals & if he lined someone up, he had a fair success rate.
Our boy "Rossy" turned out a fairly handy Coach too. By % wins to games, he holds the records at Freo & The Saints.
Would love to see he & his family embraced by the Club as a guest. During the Finals😉

Any favorite memories, interviews, highlights, please post & show this Lion & Bear that we're on his side.

I think it was 1991 or 1992 when he had the last kick of the game to beat the Kangaroos at Princes Park. About 22 goals to 21 in the end. We'd led all day but they caught us late until Lyon took a mark about 40m out, and kicked the winner.

John Ironmonger was pretty good that day too.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
It's pretty ordinary for dlanod or anyone else to give a thumbs up for a knife in the back to a former Fitzroy & Bear who served with distinction during a playing career marred by injury. As a player, Ross Lyons name is on the wall at the Gabba. You haters ought look in the mirror & wake up.

This is the player you're putting the knife in scoob / zoblitz & co. The first 45 seconds are worth watching & have a listen to the comments. How about a bit of decorum.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
It's pretty ordinary for dlanod or anyone else to give a thumbs up for a knife in the back to a former Fitzroy & Bear who served with distinction during a playing career marred by injury. As a player, Ross Lyons name is on the wall at the Gabba. You haters ought look in the mirror & wake up.

Yeah.....nah

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
I think it was 1991 or 1992 when he had the last kick of the game to beat the Kangaroos at Princes Park. About 22 goals to 21 in the end. We'd led all day but they caught us late until Lyon took a mark about 40m out, and kicked the winner.

John Ironmonger was pretty good that day too.

Spot on. Check the Brownlow votes👍

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
He hasn't died, sheesh.

His coaching should be out of the game and hopefully with Carlton having already signed Teague, he'll stay out.
You still trolling, grow up & let fans appreciate a valued ex-player at a this opportune time.
How about you delete your posts, I'll delete my responses to you & you take your salty attitude elsewhere so those who appreciated Rossy Lyon the player can reminisce?

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I feel much more affinity for Voss and Leppa and would absolutely not be posting montages of their playing highlights after they got sacked due to poor performances as head coaches.

All three of them might get gigs again as head coaches too, so I probably won’t be composing obituaries either.

Farewell defensive Fremantle, I hope you manage to use more of the ground in the near future.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

This is the player you're putting the knife in scoob / zoblitz & co. The first 45 seconds are worth watching & have a listen to the comments. How about a bit of decorum.

I can respect Rossy as a player and his early years coaching but the game has gone past him and heading back to being watchable again. His defensive game style is hopefully in the past and that is part of the reason he got the flick. Didn't seem to be able to consistently coach an attacking game style. Just not in his DNA I guess. Don't think he is a developmental coach either so when Freo have moved to this stage of their development he struggled. Was a very good coach of older teams.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I’m still finding it interesting that a number of journalists are talking of Lyon going to Essendon and possibly Worsfold going west / home to Freo, although most noise for the Freo job so far is Longmuir. IDK, I still think there is a bit of love out there for Lyon’s approach.

Oct 8, 2018
Hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Tassie Devils, Tasmania JackJumpers
I’m still finding it interesting that a number of journalists are talking of Lyon going to Essendon and possibly Worsfold going west / home to Freo, although most noise for the Freo job so far is Longmuir. IDK, I still think there is a bit of love out there for Lyon’s approach.

I feel like so much of that talk stems from the fact that his family have moved back to Perth whilst he's stayed in Melbourne.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
I can respect Rossy as a player and his early years coaching but the game has gone past him and heading back to being watchable again. His defensive game style is hopefully in the past and that is part of the reason he got the flick. Didn't seem to be able to consistently coach an attacking game style. Just not in his DNA I guess. Don't think he is a developmental coach either so when Freo have moved to this stage of their development he struggled. Was a very good coach of older teams.
That's one school of thought Long Lion. To the contrary, he can be applauded for rebuilding Freo to be on the verge of something big again & was simply shafted. This year, with heaps of injuries & with plenty of kids in the side, he coached Freo to beat Geelong R20 14.11.95 to 9.7.61, Freo kicked 11 goals to beat Collingwood by 4 pts, beat Port 15.10.100 to 12.7.79, they travelled & kicked 16.10.106 to beat the Giants 11.16.82, kicked 21.15.141 to North's 9.5.59, their 10.13.73 to 10.12.72 win over us was similar to our win last week. It is difficult to argue he was a defensive Coach this year with wins like that! Imo he's the best Coach outside of Clarkson & Fagan. Carlton would have taken him if it wasn't for the Teague (spelling?) Train. Melbourne, Adelaide, Port Adelaide & St Kilda ought be offering him "the spot" next year if they're serious. He'd be a chance to bring a player or two over the next two years as well for a Melbourne based Club.
Freo had extensive important injuries this season. Lyon's unearthed & developed some young talent this year& they've been uber impressive as the above results show, but the acknowledged price you pay for that is inconsistency. Lyons was the one who re-built & developed this list, for him to be accused of being deficient in developing youth goes contrary to the facts & IMO is simply playing the man.
IMO Lyon was stabbed in the back in a power struggle for "who's going to take the credit for Freo's next tilt at the big one". This sort of stuff has happened before & will happen again. I'm not so sure they'll even make it now. To me it feels like the Ratten sacking at Carlton, which blew up in their faces.
Yeah, I'm a Ross Lyon fan, even like his pressers.
I just don't get it that Brisbane Lions fans would jump on the "bash Ross Lyon Train" which imo is created by power hungry w***ers who like sipping coffee in Freo's many Cafe's. Their narrative simply does not match reality of Lyons' results. Lyon played with distinction at the Fitzroy Lions & he was cut short with a knee injury after playing a couple of fair games for the Brisbane Bears.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
None.

I wasn't aware that playing at AFL level was a prerequisite to having an opinion on this forum.

Would kind of limit discussion around here don't you think? :D ;)
I'm for getting behind a former Lion & Bear player who's just been stabbed in the back. You & those of your opinion on this are just trolling. It would hold some weight if you were a former player. For someone sitting behind a keyboard, your disrespect of Ross Lyon is imo being a Keyboard Kenny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back