Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Wow that's just new signings? OK i take it all back, that's actually really impressive then. Bring on 2020!

Some would be new, some would be autos just getting their payment out of the way. The card I have linked for my auto renewal was due to expire one year so I paid early to save any issues. Sure there's a bunch in the same scenario in that 3500 as well as plenty of members just really excited for 2020.
Who could blame them? :D

A couple of weeks ago Jed Adcock gave a talk at my son's school and we had the chance to have a bit of a chat and ask quite a few questions. I don't think he's that used to giving these types of talks or being in that type of situation and it showed a bit but was interesting enough anyway. No great surprises overall but a couple of points out of it regarding the difference in club culture then and now:
- When he was a player and pre-Fagan there were a lot of rules about things. He gave one example about mobile phones not being allowed in team meetings. They found though that players would secretly bring phones in and use them anyway and they'd have players always getting caught and getting in trouble. These days there are not so many rules and no rules about phones in meetings but the expectation on players from team meetings is much higher. They are expected to be involved and able to provide a lot of input and lead them at times. If they can't then their position in the team is in doubt. As a result players don't spend their time looking at their phones. This is a common thread - players get treated like adults and professionals and not kids.
- Fagan has the public reputation of being warm and cuddly but he's not all the time. He certainly promotes the positives but he is very clear and honest when things are not right as a group and individually to players and coaches. He is clear on expectations. He moves on to solutions pretty quickly. I'm not sure if Adcock was talking about the early Fagan days or pre that but he said that the players used to only get praised a lot even when they were losing all the time and they got sick of it and actually complained about it.
- player welfare these days is again about treating players like adults and professional athletes and not kids who need babysitting.

New classic merch is up on the online store. Some very handsome gear this year, though I'd prefer the maroon on the media polo was more, well, maroon.

Looks like the collar on the guernsey is different from last season. Can't tell if there have been any other changes for the year despite my gut saying it looks slightly different somehow (xl express aside). I'm sure the many keen eyed fashion aficionados on the board will be able to let us know if there have been any subtle changes to the design

images
70767030_2566170750127447_2463694920041365504_o.jpg

It does look like the blue goes lower on the guernsey. Not sure how I feel about that. Definitely not a fan of the new collar now I've seen it and the old together.

Still probably the best guernsey in the afl though. So good only a paddle pop lion could ruin it

I thought in the past we've had a few with the blue to, or lower than, the armpits? Through the premiership years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good article in the Sunday Mail this morning about the new NRL boss, pretty keen on a 2nd brisbane team, wants to "dominate the QLD market" and have an NRL game in Brisbane every week.

Not sure what i had for breakfast pulpdriver so can't help you out on this.
Did he only take one of those in his career?

Maybe not but I swear there was one that he took just so casually you could only chuckle. It was like a baseball catch. I dunno, memory gets away from you bur it's one of those things that's stuck in my mind, real or not. Feel like Freo cause might be the same game Vossy was paying out of the umpires for their garbage call and followed them to the line voicing his opinion.

Good article in the Sunday Mail this morning about the new NRL boss, pretty keen on a 2nd brisbane team, wants to "dominate the QLD market" and have an NRL game in Brisbane every week.

Makes sense, though I dunno if it'll be as easy as just plonking another team down and expecting them to draw massive numbers - just look at how that worked out for the titans. Any new yeam need to actually perform quickly to give people a reason to follow, otherwise why wouldn't you just follow the Bronx who have the history and are well established as Brisbanes team. With that said, if it were a team repping the south side of the river and the broncos were rebranded as North Brisbane that'd be pretty cool and generate some instant heat. Hell, it'd get me on board!

Itd be funny if a new team just splits off half the Broncos supporters and the lions end up being the biggest seq sporting team almost inadvertently

Makes sense, though I dunno if it'll be as easy as just plonking another team down and expecting them to draw massive numbers - just look at how that worked out for the titans. Any new yeam need to actually perform quickly to give people a reason to follow, otherwise why wouldn't you just follow the Bronx who have the history and are well established as Brisbanes team. With that said, if it were a team repping the south side of the river and the broncos were rebranded as North Brisbane that'd be pretty cool and generate some instant heat. Hell, it'd get me on board!

Itd be funny if a new team just splits off half the Broncos supporters and the lions end up being the biggest seq sporting team almost inadvertently
When was the last time that a completely new team with no history was successful, in any sport? Titans, Suns struggle, GWS average crowds, not sure how Western United go in the A League? I'd prefer to see Ipswich Jets or Logan Brothers get a go, or Redcliffe Dolphins or something, playing out of Brisbane.

When was the last time that a completely new team with no history was successful, in any sport? Titans, Suns struggle, GWS average crowds, not sure how Western United go in the A League? I'd prefer to see Ipswich Jets or Logan Brothers get a go, or Redcliffe Dolphins or something, playing out of Brisbane.

Very good point, and I'd love to see the dolphins getting a go. Changing codes quickly, I wonder why the afl didn't just elevate Southport if it was deadset on a team in the Gold Coast? As you rightly observe, new teams don't have a great record of success so surely it was considered?

Very good point, and I'd love to see the dolphins getting a go. Changing codes quickly, I wonder why the afl didn't just elevate Southport if it was deadset on a team in the Gold Coast? As you rightly observe, new teams don't have a great record of success so surely it was considered?
From Suns board discussions. Southport is the Collingwood of the Gold Coast.

Every other GC club and their members hate them with a passion.

Hard to draw local fans to a club most other local footy fans hate with a passion.

From Suns board discussions. Southport is the Collingwood of the Gold Coast.

Every other GC club and their members hate them with a passion.

Hard to draw local fans to a club most other local footy fans hate with a passion.
Same reason as they controversially changed the Melbourne Tigers to Melbourne United in the NBL. Too many juniors who didnt play for the Tigers didnt want to support them at NBL level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back