Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
What does that say about the seniors on their list? o_O
Seeing as he set the new Draft Combine
record this year, probably or to much.

Though there’s already talk the record will go again next year to another GWV rebel who is a national level distance runner.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With Nick Robertson gone now I wonder who wins our time trials.

It will be so sad if Nick doesn't get picked up, so much passion and dedication for footy in him.
I think JBerry won last year while Nick was out injured. So he is likely the best runner at the club at the moment

When was the last time that a completely new team with no history was successful, in any sport? Titans, Suns struggle, GWS average crowds, not sure how Western United go in the A League? I'd prefer to see Ipswich Jets or Logan Brothers get a go, or Redcliffe Dolphins or something, playing out of Brisbane.
Wanderers did well as soon as they started winning. Support then slacked off once they stopped. It's therefore a bit hard to separate the success from the start-up.

Makes sense, though I dunno if it'll be as easy as just plonking another team down and expecting them to draw massive numbers - just look at how that worked out for the titans. Any new yeam need to actually perform quickly to give people a reason to follow, otherwise why wouldn't you just follow the Bronx who have the history and are well established as Brisbanes team. With that said, if it were a team repping the south side of the river and the broncos were rebranded as North Brisbane that'd be pretty cool and generate some instant heat. Hell, it'd get me on board!

Itd be funny if a new team just splits off half the Broncos supporters and the lions end up being the biggest seq sporting team almost inadvertently

Followed immediately by the AFL deciding to plunk a new team, the Queensland Moon-Cougars, based in Cairns and Burpengary ...

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I thought Collingwood did exceptionally well at the draft with the hand they had. Hate to admit it, but credit to them.
Trey Ruscoe is also a good player, he’s another player like Trent Rivers, played in defence as a junior, but should eventually end up as a big bodied mid.

I know one of the WA watchers rates Ruscoe.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
his one corner of Fleurs and Ross Streets Woolloongabba - 1968..jpg

Found this on facebook - corner of Fleur and Ross Street 'Gabba 1968

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Ah lovely, I was 9 in 1968 and have fond memories of going to a corner store just like that one in Newmarket to purchase lollies or a soft drink as a treat from my Grandmother.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With Nick Robertson gone now I wonder who wins our time trials.

It will be so sad if Nick doesn't get picked up, so much passion and dedication for footy in him.
Really disappointed that NRobbo hasn't been given a second chance by another Club yet - he really deserved that opportunity - hopefully, all is not lost in the AFL for him yet. It just shows how ruthless and demanding the industry is...

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Really disappointed that NRobbo hasn't been given a second chance by another Club yet - he really deserved that opportunity - hopefully, all is not lost in the AFL for him yet. It just shows how ruthless and demanding the industry is...
Shame his contract ran out when it did. I’d honestly have him in front of a third of the list, yet he is the one without a club.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
And for 50 cents you'd get a massive bag of lollies. Cobbers freckles musk sticks mmm
Unless my memory is playing tricks on me(entirely possible :oldman:) I'm sure I used copper coins to buy lollies, 50 cents would have been a hell of a MASSIVE bag.

Looooved musk sticks and milk bottles, they don't quite taste the same these days, probably my old worn out taste buds.

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me(entirely possible :oldman:) I'm sure I used copper coins to buy lollies, 50 cents would have been a hell of a MASSIVE bag.

Looooved musk sticks and milk bottles, they don't quite taste the same these days, probably my old worn out taste buds.
Probably would have been about 10yrs later, more like 1978. When I was a young fella, me and a mate found some money and we used to go to the shop after school and get $1 worth of Lollies and they were 1c each. So we would get 100 lollies for a dollar.
Thems were the days.
Until my Mother was on the same bus as me One day and saw me pigging out on a massive bag of lollies. 😮

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

This was around mid 70's when lollies were a cent each. My 50 cents pocket money went straight to the lolly counter.

in the 70s it was three mint leaves for one cent. Those were the days.

we’ve talked about gambling in light of sponsors. This is the best article I’ve read about about how the gambling companies operate and it’s plain wrong.

very briefly they monitor punters and if you win regularly they reduce the size of the bet/win you can make and will eventually ban you if you win more than you lose. if you consistently lose they increase the size of the bet/loss you can make.

It’s a deliberately unfair system that uses the power of maths algorithms and psychology to prey on and manipulate people and that’s what I hate. Poker machines are manipulated the same way. The house always wins and the punters always lose.

The article says the gambling company owner was paid $506 000 000 in income last year. Yep, that’s 506 million dollars coming from a rigged system. in my opinion, that’s immoral and should not be allowed.

Really don’t want my club associated with gambling at any level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back