Football Related Random Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just read this article and found it very interesting. Especially got me thinking of the difference between the Rockliff/Zorko captaincy years.

Fagan seems to be a selfless whisperer, and it’s clearly a trait he values.

While Zorko seems to be doing all the right things, I think Lester embodies selflessness, and that’s the reason that, while nowhere near the best player, he has been kept on so long and finally cracked the best 22.

Might explain the Witherden fall from Grace. He often seemed to be spraying his own teammates on field.

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fagan seems to be a selfless whisperer, and it’s clearly a trait he values.

While Zorko seems to be doing all the right things, I think Lester embodies selflessness, and that’s the reason that, while nowhere near the best player, he has been kept on so long and finally cracked the best 22.

Might explain the Witherden fall from Grace. He often seemed to be spraying his own teammates on field.

I'd add Harris Andrews into that group of selfless leaders. I still feel moved when I remember Zorks and Froggy doing this earlier in the season.

Keays2myBeamas

All Australian
Oct 5, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When Clarko had his holding the ball rant the other week, he was clearly referring to the incorrect disposal interpretation. He mentioned incorrect disposal a number of times, how that was the chief failing, he didn't mention prior opportunity. I think most people really agreed with him there - no one likes players dropping it and throwing it out and getting away with it.

Naturally, the umpires seem to have instead tightened right up on prior opportunity.

Having a harsh interpretation of prior opportunity of course further incentivises throwing and dropping because players are desperate to get it out, otherwise they'll be pinned.

Are the AFL this thick? It clearly isn't right to be penalising players for picking up the ball and being tackled immediately. It clearly doesn't help the congestion situation to let players just drop the ball to the bottom of the contest. It clearly doesn't help to force players who've been wrapped up with no prior to farcically punch the ball to no avail.

Call me cynical, but it almost feels as if the AFL are actively pursuing more congestion, and actively pursuing lower scoring, perhaps because they think lower scoring closer games maintain tv viewers for longer?
When in fact more and more people are likely turning off at halftime because of the type of play, regardless of how "exciting" the 2.9 to 2.11 scoreline is?

Is Richmond “back”, or are the Bulldogs having a mare?

A little from Column A and a little from Column B. Dogs couldn't keep the ball in their forward line for any great period of time.

Attachments

• B32D699C-A484-4855-99DC-C58EA61A4C78.png
    B32D699C-A484-4855-99DC-C58EA61A4C78.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
Mar 5, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Nuggets, Crows
Lachie neale

Love this feature will come in very handy

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I swear Marin threw it out 4 times in this week's match.

Richmond Dogs and Geelong to me seem to be coached to throw it when in trouble because your odds of getting pinged are around 7 or 8/1.

If the AFL is happy to sanction throwing why not do away with the handball and allow throws . And for the Lions get with the system , you're likely to get away with it , gives you a lot of momentum out of the stoppage.

Seven members of our household have watched Message for Mitch twice each and come to the unanimous agreement that Fagan used the written message form cause couldn’t actually say the words cause he kept tearing up. He looked like he was pretty much tearing up just holding up the pages.

He is a misty kind guy emotionally.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Went down to Yeronga to watch the grandson play this afternoon and Buddy and a few no name Swans were doing a few laps and run throughs on the number 1 oval, nearly went over and gave him a hip and shoulder seeing we have yet to play them but sanity prevailed and I thought better of it.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Went down to Yeronga to watch the grandson play this afternoon and Buddy and a few no name Swans were doing a few laps and run throughs on the number 1 oval, nearly went over and gave him a hip and shoulder seeing we have yet to play them but sanity prevailed and I thought better of it.
Maybe a reserves scratch match in the offing?

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
We are currently conceding around 57 points per game to the opposition (515 in 9 games) Amazing to think we used to concede over double that under Leppa. At this point of the that would equate to over 1,000 points already!

For context the crows are virtually non-competitive at the moment with a percentage of 56.7% and they have conceded ‘only’ 729 points!

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
We are currently conceding around 57 points per game to the opposition (515 in 9 games) Amazing to think we used to concede over double that under Leppa. At this point of the that would equate to over 1,000 points already!

For context the crows are virtually non-competitive at the moment with a percentage of 56.7% and they have conceded ‘only’ 729 points!
What’s that when converted to real game time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back