Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

McInerney is playing his 50th game this weekend.

I would suggest he could be the first lions player to be drafted by us and play his first 50 games with a win percentage of greater than 50% in 15+ years... it's been a long hard slog for Lions fans...

My guess would be maybe Jamie Charman or Jarred Brennan would be the last players to do so??

If someone debuted in week 1 2008 and played every game thereafter they would've gotten to 50 games in week 4 of 2010 with a record of 28-1-21. Unfortunately our first two draft picks that year were Lachie Henderson and Tom Collier and neither made 50 games (nor played regularly).

If you want players who won more than they lost, Mitch Clark got to 50 games with a record of 25-2-23 (not exactly a win percentage greater than 50%).

Scott Harding debuted the same week and if he'd played two more games for us he would definitely have done it, with 48 games for 26-3-19.

Joel McDonald is the one that fits the exact description though - debuted in Round 10 2004, and went 29-21 in his first 50 games.

If someone debuted in week 1 2008 and played every game thereafter they would've gotten to 50 games in week 4 of 2010 with a record of 28-1-21. Unfortunately our first two draft picks that year were Lachie Henderson and Tom Collier and neither made 50 games (nor played regularly).

If you want players who won more than they lost, Mitch Clark got to 50 games with a record of 25-2-23 (not exactly a win percentage greater than 50%).

Scott Harding debuted the same week and if he'd played two more games for us he would definitely have done it, with 48 games for 26-3-19.

Joel McDonald is the one that fits the exact description though - debuted in Round 10 2004, and went 29-21 in his first 50 games.
Thanks, dlanod. Interesting to see. Seems like slim pickings. I was a fan of McDonald, was sad to see him move to Melbourne (not that he lasted long there!).

Would have been a good pub quiz question!

Thanks, dlanod. Interesting to see. Seems like slim pickings. I was a fan of McDonald, was sad to see him move to Melbourne (not that he lasted long there!).

Would have been a good pub quiz question!
Harding was the one that really surprised me. I knew we'd had a few "almost" years so thought someone might have gotten to 50 games in the right ones (hence the '08 to '10 stat) but I wouldn't have picked Scott as being the closest to the mark.

McInerney is playing his 50th game this weekend.

I would suggest he could be the first lions player to be drafted by us and play his first 50 games with a win percentage of greater than 50% in 15+ years... it's been a long hard slog for Lions fans...

My guess would be maybe Jamie Charman or Jarred Brennan would be the last players to do so??
How badly do you reckon Melbourne wish they hadn't let him slip from right under their noses :)

I got Kayo earlier in the year and have stated watching a few more football shows including AFL360. Overall, Robbo is better than I thought but he is sometimes he is all over the place. I am not sure whether this is part of the 'charm' or not... he is certainly passionate about the game, which I like. What annoys me the most is the so-called 'players night', which I now just skip over. Why do they speak to the same players Riewoldt and Treloar every week? Both are boring, entitled and say the same thing. At least this year they seem to be cycling through all of the coaches.

What annoys me the most is the so-called 'players night', which I now just skip over. Why do they speak to the same players Riewoldt and Treloar every week? Both are boring, entitled and say the same thing. At least this year they seem to be cycling through all of the coaches.
Don't ask me why they have Riewoldt and Treloar on each week. Outside of their respective clubs, literally no one wants to hear from them for reasons you stated. Treloar in particular offers nothing except praising everyone and everything and as for Riewoldt, he looks like he is about to break down in tears in any moment or scream for a free kick.

Truth be told and I've said this for years now, but being time poor, I record every footy show first and then watch and will generally fast forward through many segments, particularly these two flogs because they add nothing. Some nights, you can watch an episode in about 10 minutes.

Like you said, it is refreshing having different coaches on most weeks, again in the past, I used to fast forward through that segment too, I just wish they'd do the same with the players. Well actually they have somewhat this year by getting Gawn on too. :rolleyes: Seriously, could they actually get players on with a brain and half intelligent?

Don't ask me why they have Riewoldt and Treloar on each week. Outside of their respective clubs, literally no one wants to hear from them for reasons you stated. Treloar in particular offers nothing except praising everyone and everything and as for Riewoldt, he looks like he is about to break down in tears in any moment or scream for a free kick.

Truth be told and I've said this for years now, but being time poor, I record every footy show first and then watch and will generally fast forward through many segments, particularly these two flogs because they add nothing. Some nights, you can watch an episode in about 10 minutes.

Like you said, it is refreshing having different coaches on most weeks, again in the past, I used to fast forward through that segment too, I just wish they'd do the same with the players. Well actually they have somewhat this year by getting Gawn on too. :rolleyes: Seriously, could they actually get players on with a brain and half intelligent?
Time to give Mitch Robbo a regular slot. Not sure Fages will agree with me though.

Treloar got a media deal as part of his recruitment to Collingwood despite being completely dull

Treloar got a media deal as part of his recruitment to Collingwood despite being completely dull
They all seem to.

In recent years, Lever and Steven May both have deals with Fox which they didn't have prior to joining Melbourne, Treloar as you mentioned, Taylor Adams and one or two others who escape me that came from non-Victorian teams to big Melbourne clubs and are now regulars on Fox Footy.

I don't see how the AFL permits this crap because clearly it is a third party deal that wasn't afforded to any of those players prior to moving to Melbourne and even more so, why Fox Footy are complicit in such deals.

Treloar had openly stated he wanted a career in the media after football and that was one of the reasons he came back to Vic. Not gonna get one on his current form i.e. boring
That's the issue with the AFL media and who they appoint.

More often than not, a guy simply says he wants a job in the media, irrespective of how average he is and bang, opportunities are somehow afforded to them and even more so if you are one of the higher paid players.

How the likes of Motangna, Cooney, King, Del Santo, Ricciuto, not to mention current day players such as Treloar, Jack Riewoldt, Gawn, May, Lever amongst others are given media jobs despite having no personality whatsoever is beyond me.

As for Treloar, like you said, he is beyond boring and just because he wants to be in the media, doesn't mean any media outlet should give him a job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite the lack of reserves coverage this year, on the other hand, the content the club has been releasing relating to Sir Doug Nicholls Round (Fitzroy player and following in the footsteps of fellow Fitzroy player and the first indigenous VFL/AFL player, Joe Johnson) and the interviews with our indigenous boys has been top notch, these two videos no exception.

Does anyone know if player worn indigenous jumpers are being auctioned?

The Lions shop website says it is, but then the link to the auction doesn't work. :huh:

Does anyone know if player worn indigenous jumpers are being auctioned?

The Lions shop website says it is, but then the link to the auction doesn't work. :huh:

I think that the auction starts after the game.

I don't get emotionally affected by much I read, but I was literally welling up most of the time reading through this story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back