Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

I find this statement bemusing???

"Muir also revealed he is still suffering from a shoulder injury that dates back to his playing career, for which the AFL Players' Association is unable to offer financial assistance."

But ordinary Aussies always rise to the challenge.

"In response, members of the public created a GoFundMe page to "raise enough for his surgery plus some extra". Within hours, it had raised more than $50,000."

"Calling on all St Kilda Football Club fans to support past player Robert Muir to get his shoulder fixed and show him the collective care and support that should've been afforded him when he played for our club," the creators of the GoFundMe page wrote."

I tracked it down and donated, hope you will too.

I don't get emotionally affected by much I read, but I was literally welling up most of the time reading through this story.

Absolutely brilliant. A must read. Hang your head in shame, AFL & all who have profited off of Robbie.

Talking Mitch - i noticed he has play 106 games for us and then realise Martin Pike played 106 games. Made me think who would i have prefered if i had any choice....still can't work it out! Maybe a dead heat! Both came with troubles but both been amazing servants of our club! Let's hope they both have kids that can play for us :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talking Mitch - i noticed he has play 106 games for us and then realise Martin Pike played 106 games. Made me think who would i have prefered if i had any choice....still can't work it out! Maybe a dead heat! Both came with troubles but both been amazing servants of our club! Let's hope they both have kids that can play for us :)
Pike’s kids should be draftable age by now or close to it. He, and a few other Lions, used to be regulars with their families over summer, at a pub I used to manage. This was back in the early 00’s.

As much as I love Mitch Robinson, I'd definitely go Marty Pike.

Great comparison Voss the boss and an interesting discussion based on two pretty colourful characters that both resurrected their reputations and standing in the game. IMO, Pike was more versatile and more damaging on the scoreboard (67 goals over 5 years, compared to Mitch's 53 over 6 years across their respective 106 games).

Imagine the thought of having both of these guys in the same team at the peak of their powers.

I normally drive to the Gabba from the Gold Coast but always stress about parking options. Happy to walk 1-2 km...any parking suggestions at a reasonable price?

I normally drive to the Gabba from the Gold Coast but always stress about parking options. Happy to walk 1-2 km...any parking suggestions at a reasonable price?
I will assume you are a pledge member and receive a club e-mail "congratulations your ballot entry has been successful."
At the bottom of that e-mail is a link to $15 parking. Click on the link which takes you to your My Lions Account which is linked to Ticketmaster.
Process is fairly easy from their. If it does not let you proceed you just need to click on a box (delivery free ticket) something like that and proceed.
By google maps it is a 600 meter walk. Address they give is 73 Ipswich Road Woolangabba.
However entry is via Henry Street at traffic lights
You do need to book if you just turn up they will charge you more if spaces available.
I believe the net money goes to the Lions so that is a positive.
Fairly big open car park but could do with more lighting. It is just a business car park during daytime.

If you go this option for your next visit (finals GF) you could check out (walk around) some other pop up car park options i have see over the years.
Trafalgar , Nile, Wellington Street between Nile & Logan Road not sure the cost though probably not much cheaper if at all.

For free parking as you mentioned is a bit stressful. Making sure the sign says "no limit other times"
For many years i did use River Terrace and the side streets that lead to Main Street.Usually took some driving around to secure a spot.
Good luck

I will assume you are a pledge member and receive a club e-mail "congratulations your ballot entry has been successful."
At the bottom of that e-mail is a link to $15 parking. Click on the link which takes you to your My Lions Account which is linked to Ticketmaster.
Process is fairly easy from their. If it does not let you proceed you just need to click on a box (delivery free ticket) something like that and proceed.
By google maps it is a 600 meter walk. Address they give is 73 Ipswich Road Woolangabba.
However entry is via Henry Street at traffic lights
You do need to book if you just turn up they will charge you more if spaces available.
I believe the net money goes to the Lions so that is a positive.
Fairly big open car park but could do with more lighting. It is just a business car park during daytime.

If you go this option for your next visit (finals GF) you could check out (walk around) some other pop up car park options i have see over the years.
Trafalgar , Nile, Wellington Street between Nile & Logan Road not sure the cost though probably not much cheaper if at all.

For free parking as you mentioned is a bit stressful. Making sure the sign says "no limit other times"
For many years i did use River Terrace and the side streets that lead to Main Street.Usually took some driving around to secure a spot.
Good luck
Much appreciated!

As much as I love Mitch Robinson, I'd definitely go Marty Pike.

Great comparison Voss the boss and an interesting discussion based on two pretty colourful characters that both resurrected their reputations and standing in the game. IMO, Pike was more versatile and more damaging on the scoreboard (67 goals over 5 years, compared to Mitch's 53 over 6 years across their respective 106 games).

Imagine the thought of having both of these guys in the same team at the peak of their powers.
Agree. Both great clubmen but Pike's skills were next level compared to Robbo.

Re goal kicking - it’s not mental it’s physical (post is too long but whatever)

General play it is spilt second decisions and go go go. In most that means heart rate screaming, blood pumping, nervous system that controls voluntarily movement (it’s called the sympathetic nervous system) pinging incredibly fast to be able react and move and keep up with the pace of the game and not get caught and know where your team mates are and where the opposition are and get the ball out....

Snaps on goal are done in the heat of the moment when you are in this heightened, state and are the least accurate shot on goal.

Then you take a mark inside 50, but the blood is still pounding in your ears etc and you have to fight your urge to JUST KICK IT MOVE MOVE MOVE. But you know that a set shot has the highest accuracy (lol just ask cam) so you don’t play on, you take the set shot.

But to convert that shot you need to be calm, and you need to get calm in under 30s. So your para sympathetic nervous system needs to activate and do it’s job to calm the sympathetic nervous system.

Then swap over again straight away as the game continues.

Elite athletes have incredible nervous systems but, like every other part of the body, they are trainable and take years to optimise.

Routines are important because they help the calming cycle, but practice cannot reproduce the game intensity that has you pinging so you practice your routine and just keep trying in games. And when you get to Afl level the pinging level leaps up, you essentially start from scratch and it can take years to develop that ability to switch from pinging to calm on demand.

Lachie Neale, Harris Andrews and kiddy Coleman, players who seem to create time, can remain calm under intense pressure. Brown type players can switch the on/off switch on demand. Mitch type players can’t calm down.

Finals and playing Richmond are different cause the pinging increases (internal and external pressure) and the sympathetic nervous system gets off the chain. Hence the 4.17.

The third type of goal is on-the-run goals, which fall between snaps and set shots for accuracy. The player is pinging but doesn’t need to be calm when taking the shot, as it’s just another field kick.

Young teams play fast and furious style to optimise on-the-run goal shots, then as the players develop they can slow down and play a more controlled game.

We are a fast and furious team, on the cusp of having enough developed players to go to total control. Our next game against Richmond will tell us how that development is going.

14E94F23-F502-469D-91E4-B5509385E798.png

Every poll that ever comes out about quarter length it is somewhere in the region of 90% responses say they want quarters to remain the same length. People averse to change especially to something as fundamental as the length of the game, understandable. Suggestion of changing qtr length seems to elicit particularly angry responses. Personally i like it, a neutral game lasting 3+ hours is a long time. Shorter game is more urgent, every play means a bit more. But then the same people often say that the game has been ruined as a spectacle and is boring these days, but also say stop changing the game. It feels like there is a not of contradiction out there. Just my opinion.

Every poll that ever comes out about quarter length it is somewhere in the region of 90% responses say they want quarters to remain the same length. People averse to change especially to something as fundamental as the length of the game, understandable. Suggestion of changing qtr length seems to elicit particularly angry responses. Personally i like it, a neutral game lasting 3+ hours is a long time. Shorter game is more urgent, every play means a bit more. But then the same people often say that the game has been ruined as a spectacle and is boring these days, but also say stop changing the game. It feels like there is a not of contradiction out there. Just my opinion.

Would need to be coupled with a further reduction in rotations and/or one less on the bench. The game doesn't open up enough as the players aren't getting as tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back