Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

How long do you expect the window to be open?

Four years of high level finals, where we gain a lot of supporters that hang around for the first few years of the decline. So maybe seven years of increased revenue.

Fagan has the Hawks 'stay relevant' blueprint so might even be a bit longer

Maybe the Lions will play home games on the Gold Coast or tour around Queensland playing games in Ipswich, Sunny Coast, Townsville, Cairns, Mackay etc?

Will they be building any new venues? Would be smart to build one, like a Marvel Stadium, that we can use while the Gabba is out of action and then have both for the Olympics

She has said school remains

Not quite - the announcement was that the heritage listed buildings that are on the school grounds will remain. The school itself is moving offsite. Those buildings that remain will be repurposed.

In the last "Feasibility-Assessment-Brisbane Olympic Bid" the Qld Government decided on a new 50K seat venue at Albion Park Paceway.
This new venue was for track and field and opening & closing ceremonies. See below image

This was for some reason preferred to the other site adjacent/slightly north of Bowen Hill Station

The alternative put forward was Metricon stadium for track and field with opening & closing ceremonies at The Gabba
I could not fathom the Albion Park choice as the site would have been very difficult to get to and from.
Plus would the site be utilized after the Games if the Gabba was still hosting AFL & Cricket
They were to construct a rail corridor from Bowen Hills station to the Paceway site plus update the limited bus services to the Paceway
Metricon the alternative site is just as bad without lots of infrastructure spending in that area

Thankfully someone had another look at what was basically under their nose and The Gabba and surrounds is the new preferred site
Maybe alcohol over lunch was not involved this time.

Not going to be a great time for AFL/Cricket fans during construction phase

1618907126275.png

In the last "Feasibility-Assessment-Brisbane Olympic Bid" the Qld Government decided on a new 50K seat venue at Albion Park Paceway.
This new venue was for track and field and opening & closing ceremonies. See below image

This was for some reason preferred to the other site adjacent/slightly north of Bowen Hill Station

The alternative put forward was Metricon stadium for track and field with opening & closing ceremonies at The Gabba
I could not fathom the Albion Park choice as the site would have been very difficult to get to and from.
Plus would the site be utilized after the Games if the Gabba was still hosting AFL & Cricket
They were to construct a rail corridor from Bowen Hills station to the Paceway site plus update the limited bus services to the Paceway
Metricon the alternative site is just as bad without lots of infrastructure spending in that area

Thankfully someone had another look at what was basically under their nose and The Gabba and surrounds is the new preferred site
Maybe alcohol over lunch was not involved this time.

Not going to be a great time for AFL/Cricket fans during construction phase

View attachment 1107440

"How To Take a Screenshot..."...? ;)

Will they be building any new venues? Would be smart to build one, like a Marvel Stadium, that we can use while the Gabba is out of action and then have both for the Olympics
No. This will blow the budget. Almost all other venues already exist. Marvel Stadium is actually bigger than the new Gabba will be, so they won't be doing anything like that.
Optus Stadium is 60K and took three years to build, SFS is taking a bit longer and is 45K. I reckon the Gabba will be out of action for three seasons, 2029 - 2031, with a few Lions games likely in the early part of 2032 season, then again at the end of the 2032 season. Will all be worth it.

"How To Take a Screenshot..."...? ;)
Yes i know. Will have to learn how to just do the page i want rather than the full screen
Was not able to copy & Past the image as i usually do
At least i did not have any "pr0n sites" listed in my bookmarks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes i know. Will have to learn how to just do the page i want rather than the full screen
I admit that's what I was checking for. :D

No. This will blow the budget. Almost all other venues already exist. Marvel Stadium is actually bigger than the new Gabba will be, so they won't be doing anything like that.
Optus Stadium is 60K and took three years to build, SFS is taking a bit longer and is 45K. I reckon the Gabba will be out of action for three seasons, 2029 - 2031, with a few Lions games likely in the early part of 2032 season, then again at the end of the 2032 season. Will all be worth it.
On the news tonight, they mentioned construction would take 4 years, being completed a year before the Olympics.

Good memory, or what?

So Suncorp already exists,seats 50000, is near transport and is the correct configuration. No can't use that. Too sensible. Let's just blow another few Billion and wreck Qld Cricket and the Lions for 5 years.

Where would you put the athletics track?

So Suncorp already exists,seats 50000, is near transport and is the correct configuration. No can't use that. Too sensible. Let's just blow another few Billion and wreck Qld Cricket and the Lions for 5 years.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

To be honest, QLD Cricket and the Lions quite desperately need this to happen.

In some ways, I think it's fair to say the Olympics has been our saviour. There is no real conceivable way that we would have had the Gabba drastically improved without it. With just one AFL team playing there fortnightly, one test match each summer, and then Brisbane Heat games, there would never have been the business case to put the money in that was needed.

While it mightn't have impacted the Lions too greatly (outside of just having the worst stadium in the competition), it would have impacted cricket. Four test summers would have, in time, moved exclusively to a Perth/Adelaide/Melbourne/Sydney model. What they've built in Perth & Adelaide is genuinely next level - it makes the Gabba look like a park venue in comparison.

It seemed something of an unfixable situation ultimately. No business case to make such expensive changes, and no way of avoiding the reality of being so far behind the country's other stadiums without those changes.

The Olympics is a bit of a golden ticket for footy & cricket fans in the state re: The Gabba I think. Half the cost covered by the federal government, some covered by the IOC, and it will be a place in both size, quality, and accessibility that will cater for footy & cricket lovers in south-east QLD for decades to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back