Football Related Random Thread - PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I just had a thought. Mitch Robinson is the only redheaded player on our list, I think? When Mitch retires (possibly end of this year), it will be the first time in Brisbane Lions (merged entity) history that we haven't had a redhead on the list. We had a few on the list in 97 when the merger took effect, including Vossy and Aker, then Dan Merrett came along and then Mitch Robbo. There was always redhead continuity. But Robbo is the last of the gingers.

I think this means we absolutely need a "draft a ranga" campaign for next year.

Or we trade for Matt Rowell!
Now I can see why we were trying to get Ed Richards to the club this year and it wasn't because he played at half-back :p

1638567061766.png .

I just had a thought. Mitch Robinson is the only redheaded player on our list, I think? When Mitch retires (possibly end of this year), it will be the first time in Brisbane Lions (merged entity) history that we haven't had a redhead on the list. We had a few on the list in 97 when the merger took effect, including Vossy and Aker, then Dan Merrett came along and then Mitch Robbo. There was always redhead continuity. But Robbo is the last of the gingers.

I think this means we absolutely need a "draft a ranga" campaign for next year.

Or we trade for Matt Rowell!
Jaspa Fletcher has you covered.

Pretty sure he has to choose footy over golf first and even then he won't be Will talent but would supposedly still top tier.
Hopefully by the time he's draft eligible Will has been in the system a couple years and is a first hand experience of how enjoyable being apart of the club can be. Although if he can be a genuine top tier golfer then that'd be pretty hard to walk away from.

Hopefully by the time he's draft eligible Will has been in the system a couple years and is a first hand experience of how enjoyable being apart of the club can be. Although if he can be a genuine top tier golfer then that'd be pretty hard to walk away from.

I know have no idea of his skillset but golf has a very narrow earning window whereas footy has a very wide and immediate earning opportunity. If Will hits the ground running footy might seem more appealing than golf in the short term.

Yeah if I were him I'd play footy, enjoy a career while making use of the excellent golf courses Brisbane have to offer.

I'm not biased I promise 😎

I know have no idea of his skillset but golf has a very narrow earning window whereas footy has a very wide and immediate earning opportunity. If Will hits the ground running footy might seem more appealing than golf in the short term.

I know nothing about professional golf but was always under the impression that top golfers could earn money for quite a long time (eg Masters etc) - if you don't mind (and it is not to much to explain) what is the narrow earning window for golf?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know nothing about professional golf but was always under the impression that top golfers could earn money for quite a long time (eg Masters etc) - if you don't mind (and it is not to much to explain) what is the narrow earning window for golf?
Narrow as in, that you probably need to be in the top 1-200 golfers in the world to make a decent quid out of it.
Similar to Tennis.

Narrow as in, that you probably need to be in the top 1-200 golfers in the world to make a decent quid out of it.
Similar to Tennis.

Hmmm, define decent quid.

The current 199th ranked gofer in the world rankings is Hank Lebioda. He made US$1.25 Million dollars this year (excluding sponsorship & endorsements).

Might be a fair bit more than the top 200 that can make a decent quid, assuming we consider decent quid to be around the 400k mark?

The current number 100 golfer in the World is Troy Merritt. He's 36 years old & earned 1.8 Million dollars this year.

Aint no 36 year old AFL players running around, let alone earning US$1.8Million per year. (Aside from David Mundy, age wise, not money wise)

As an aside, my favourite Aussie golfer right now is definitely Cam Smith. He's ranked 23 in the world atm, chalked up a lazy US$5.8Million last year in earnings.

Edit: I went with the 199th ranked player as the guy who's 200th is from the European Tour & it's harder to find their prize money winnings.

Last edited:

The current 199th ranked gofer in the world rankings is Hank Lebioda. He made US$1.25 Million dollars this year (excluding sponsorship & endorsements).

Might be a fair bit more than the top 200 that can make a decent quid, assuming we consider decent quid to be around the 400k mark?

The current number 100 golfer in the World is Troy Merritt. He's 36 years old & earned 1.8 Million dollars this year.

Aint no 36 year old AFL players running around, let alone earning US$1.8Million per year. (Aside from David Mundy, age wise, not money wise)

As an aside, my favourite Aussie golfer right now is definitely Cam Smith. He's ranked 23 in the world atm, chalked up a lazy US$5.8Million last year in earnings.

Edit: I went with the 199th ranked player as the guy who's 200th is from the European Tour & it's harder to find their prize money winnings.

The cost of travel is the major killer in the golf. If they are earning 400k a year from golf they aren't making much money at all after travel, hotel and food costs.

I think any sport where you are competing internationally to make a living is going to be more challenging compared to domestic sport in Australia. Obviously the potential rewards are much greater but so is the competition. I mean, there are something like 25 million golfers in the US alone.

It would be interesting to know how many Aussies play tournament golf and make a good living. Obviously, the top of the pyramid has the likes of Scott, Day, Smith, Leishman etc. But there are more players on a second tier in the US and then still more making money in Europe, Japan, China etc. And there are probably less Aussie kids trying to make it as a golfer than an AFL player.

The thing with being a golfer is that, sponsorship money aside, you have to play well to be paid. Huge risk in that.

The cost of travel is the major killer in the golf. If they are earning 400k a year from golf they aren't making much money at all after travel, hotel and food costs.
Yeah, you also have to pay for your own coach, caddy, etc. I imagine all medical and physio costs have to be covered too.

I mean, not everyone can turn a homeless guy washing car windows into a caddy.....

Yeah, you also have to pay for your own coach, caddy, etc. I imagine all medical and physio costs have to be covered too.

I mean, not everyone can turn a homeless guy washing car windows into a caddy.....
If you had the chance to be a high level professional golfer or an AFL footballer you'd take golf every time. Once you reach a certain level the sponsors look after you in every way. The career window is 25 years and beyond with the Masters tours growing. There's less chance of getting hurt and certainly badly hurt. If you want to travel as a young man it's perfect.

The issue is you need to be good . But that's the same in any sport really ,AFL included because an average players window could end up being short.

The sooner you devote yourself to one or the other the more hope of success. No idea how promising a golfer he is ,maybe he's just good at it but with his brother going into AFL you'd have to think that might help.

I think any sport where you are competing internationally to make a living is going to be more challenging compared to domestic sport in Australia. Obviously the potential rewards are much greater but so is the competition. I mean, there are something like 25 million golfers in the US alone.

It would be interesting to know how many Aussies play tournament golf and make a good living. Obviously, the top of the pyramid has the likes of Scott, Day, Smith, Leishman etc. But there are more players on a second tier in the US and then still more making money in Europe, Japan, China etc. And there are probably less Aussie kids trying to make it as a golfer than an AFL player.

The thing with being a golfer is that, sponsorship money aside, you have to play well to be paid. Huge risk in that.
How many of those 25 million golfers are actually professionals?

Because that’s something like 1 in every 16 Americans play golf, if the total American population is 400 million.

How many of those 25 million golfers are actually professionals?

Because that’s something like 1 in every 16 Americans play golf, if the total American population is 400 million.
Also consider the number of children in that population , the disadvantaged and millions of others who have no access. Probably takes it down to 1 in 8. Which just couldn't be right these days.

I don't follow golf at all, but that's bloody impressive from Cam Smith to be that highly ranked only a year out from retirement at the Melbourne Storm, kudos to him.

I reckon he & his family will have a fair idea where he's at with both sports. Aside from the financial side & earning windows it also centres around what he gets the most enjoyment out of.

I have no idea about his golfing ability, but if he's shown serious potential he'll have a pathway laid out for him & it's not a one in 25 million shot he's taking. I recall when I was heavily into golf back in the mid 2000's, Jason Day was being groomed as a teenager in a similar way. The people who pick talent knew he wasn't just going to be making up the numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back