Football Related Random Thread - PART 2

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Parents would also factor in the potential for serious injury/concussion ETC. One serious injury in AFL and your career could be over. Not much chance of serious injury shuffling around a golf course. Minor manageable injuries like golfers elbow or back pain perhaps

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Parents would also factor in the potential for serious injury/concussion ETC. One serious injury in AFL and your career could be over. Not much chance of serious injury shuffling around a golf course. Minor manageable injuries like golfers elbow or back pain perhaps

True, but not sure how much it matters what the parents are factoring in. Cast your mind back to what you were like as a kid. Could you be told? I know I couldn't lol. If his heart is set on AFL it will happen.

Edit: I don't have kids. No plans to have kids atm either. But if I do have kids, the sports they are going to be playing are Tennis & Golf.

But if I do have kids, the sports they are going to be playing are Tennis & Golf.
How dare you decide on such dangerous sports for your future kids I say, you should be getting them into the art of Lawn Bowls instead young man :p

Last edited:
Sure, you'd think so, but get started in golf, make millions, and then BAM, car crash, and then work your way back, BAM, another car crash. Statistically you're guaranteed to have a career altering care crash if you win at least 15 majors!

Crimso

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2002
Maleny
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Sure, you'd think so, but get started in golf, make millions, and then BAM, car crash, and then work your way back, BAM, another car crash. Statistically you're guaranteed to have a career altering care crash if you win at least 15 majors!
But you also get to have lots of messy extramarital affair’s.

Will always remember his accolade speech after the miracle on grass game. Simon black also hit a record and gave an on field speech after game. Ash, who had just kicked the winning goal, followed him and simply said 'what he said'. Referring to Black's speech.

What a humble champion.

Kicking the game winner after the siren in that game on that night was such a beautiful tribute to a great player.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
I was more on the Usman train for the number 5 spot, but couldn't be happier for Trav. You don't get a more important innings to make a ton than the first innings of the first test match of an Ashes series.
I really hope Khawaja's cards aren't marked already, really like watching him play. As a South Australian I'm stoked both Head and Carey made the team though. Uzzy to open in the place of Harris next game for me.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I really hope Khawaja's cards aren't marked already, really like watching him play. As a South Australian I'm stoked both Head and Carey made the team though. Uzzy to open in the place of Harris next game for me.

Harris got a great ball. As an opener you're gonna get those time to time. I'd like to see Uzzy open, but wouldn't like to see Harris dropped just yet. Let's see how the second innings goes (hopefully we don't have one). :D

Back in the day I was super excited about Travis Head, I thought he was looking like being the next #3, our next Ricky Ponting (who I idolize), that was back early in the big bash days before he made any Australian team. Have been a little disappointed in his test career to date, not putting a high enough price on his wicket, to the extent that I thought Uzzy would be a better number 5 for this series. Today was sublime, was a subdued start for the first 30 or so balls, but after that his innings acceleration was amazing, and without too much fuss or risk either. Very happy for him, a big moment in his career.

Harris got a great ball. As an opener you're gonna get those time to time.
It happens to Harris an awful lot though in that channel around off stump. I don't think he really knows where his stumps are and I think he plays with the face of the bat open too much. I definitely wouldn't drop him on one innings but I don't think we can overlook the fact that he gets out the same way, particularly when the ball is moving a little. It was the reason he was dropped last time and he needs to prove he has a plan to survive - hopefully he does because we need to find our next generation of openers pretty soon.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It happens to Harris an awful lot though in that channel around off stump. I don't think he really knows where his stumps are and I think he plays with the face of the bat open too much. I definitely wouldn't drop him on one innings but I don't think we can overlook the fact that he gets out the same way, particularly when the ball is moving a little. It was the reason he was dropped last time and he needs to prove he has a plan to survive - hopefully he does because we need to find our next generation of openers pretty soon.

I think he's already too old to be considered as a next generation opener. Wish Renshaw had of come on after he got a chance. If Pucovski overcomes his concussion symptoms, he'll take the openers spot opposite Warner, but we still need to replace Warner in the next couple of years.

I think he's already too old to be considered as a next generation opener. Wish Renshaw had of come on after he got a chance. If Pucovski overcomes his concussion symptoms, he'll take the openers spot opposite Warner, but we still need to replace Warner in the next couple of years.

It is negligence if they lf Puck play again.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It will d
He seemed to love posting. Always on to anything.

Sometimes the online world looks a whole lot bigger than what it is. It should be fun.

Hopefully a rest and some perspective will do the trick. Overall I enjoy his comments .
It will do him good....enjoy post BF

It's gonna be such a sad story either way Pucovski decides to pursue his life with this situation IMO, either he continues playing professional cricket and keeps getting concussion-like symptoms and (god forbid) experiences significant brain & mental health problems later on in life, or he retires at a young age and becomes one of biggest "what ifs" in Australian Cricket folklore in history forever while still possibly having moderate (but not significant) brain or mental health problems later on in life (given his past history of concussions already).

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
Pucovski unfortunately needs to learn how to duck and weave before he is let anywhere near first class cricket again, let alone Test cricket. Wearing a helmet cannot be allowed to become a substitute for good technique.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's gonna be such a sad story either way Pucovski decides to pursue his life with this situation IMO, either he continues playing professional cricket and keeps getting concussion-like symptoms and (god forbid) experiences significant brain & mental health problems later on in life, or he retires at a young age and becomes one of biggest "what ifs" in Australian Cricket folklore in history forever while still possibly having moderate (but not significant) brain or mental health problems later on in life (given his past history of concussions already).
Pucovski unfortunately needs to learn how to duck and weave before he is let anywhere near first class cricket again, let alone Test cricket. Wearing a helmet cannot be allowed to become a substitute for good technique.

I see, thats a shame. As I said in one of my previous posts, haven't followed shield cricket for a while now so don't have any insight as to where Pucovski is at.

Ever since his debut, Khawaja has been one of my favourite players to just sit and watch. There's something so pure about his technique to my untrained eye. He just seemed like the perfect #3, unstressed and technically astute.

Unfortunately it turned out he can't play spin to save himself. :(

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Great work late yesterday afternoon by Ryan Lester and Harris Andrews running a coaching session for the juniors at Yeronga Devils, I took my grandson down and he loved it.

On the current theme of discussion, Harris was a couple of minutes late, profusely apologised, said he was stuck in cricket traffic, didn't say if he was at the cricket or just driving past, BTW how good was the counter attack by Travis Head, secured his spot for the series and probably once and for all ended Usman's test career in the process.

Back