Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

England have put 10 past San Marino in the 80th minute of their last World Cup qualifying match. It's the first time they've scored 10 in a game since 1964.

2:00AM tomorrow (Victorian time) is China v Australia in matchday 6 of their World Cup qualifying campaign.

We are a point ahead of Japan and sit second in our group, with the top 2 qualifying. Four games to go including this one.

Japan play Oman at 3:00AM tomorrow.

A horrible VAR call in this mornings game gifted China a 1-1 draw, and in the other game Japan beat Oman. With those results we've fallen out of the automatic qualification spots. We are 1 point behind Japan who sit 2nd and we've got 4 games left.

Next round of games are in January, we really need to reset and go again or we unbelievably could be out altogether.

A horrible VAR call in this mornings game gifted China a 1-1 draw, and in the other game Japan beat Oman. With those results we've fallen out of the automatic qualification spots. We are 1 point behind Japan who sit 2nd and we've got 4 games left.

Next round of games are in January, we really need to reset and go again or we unbelievably could be out altogether.
A terrible result for us. We seem to be really struggling to score.

Reckon the penalty was there though. What's his arm doing there?

Why did I wake up for that match. I had hope we’d put in a strong showing but we just have horrible entries for the strikers to run onto. Constantly passing it back and or hoping for a miracle cross. Cahill’s not there anymore and Souttar’s out with an ACL

A terrible result for us. We seem to be really struggling to score.

Reckon the penalty was there though. What's his arm doing there?
Yeah I think I was worked up when I posted because it looked pretty touch and go to me initially but I looked back at the highlights and I don't know what his arm was doing out there either. I just can't believe the position we're in after the start to the qualifiers that we had. It'll be a real bottle job if we don't go through, and we still need to play Japan & Saudi Arabia in our last four games (they sit 2nd and 1st in the group at the moment respectively).

Yeah I think I was worked up when I posted because it looked pretty touch and go to me initially but I looked back at the highlights and I don't know what his arm was doing out there either. I just can't believe the position we're in after the start to the qualifiers that we had. It'll be a real bottle job if we don't go through, and we still need to play Japan & Saudi Arabia in our last four games (they sit 2nd and 1st in the group at the moment respectively).
Following the Socceroos feels just like being a saints supporter. Poor Mat Ryan dragging us through every single game of his national team career

A half arsed Liverpool side with a comfortable win over Porto to remain undefeated in the CL group stage with a game left, and also their 16th consecutive game of 2 or more goals - no English team has done that in 82 years. If we beat Milan in the final game of the group we'll also become the first English side to win every game of a CL group stage.

Along with that, Milan scored in the 87th minute to send Atleti to the bottom of the group. Just perfect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big game tonight against Japan in the World Cup qualifiers for the Socceroos. 8pm AEDT in Sydney.

Japan haven't beaten us in a WC match in Australia for 40 years, however we're going through a huge COVID crisis and we're without 11 of our regulars.

If we don't win this game we can pretty much kiss the World Cup qualification goodbye. A loss would move us into the intercontinental playoff route, where if things stand as they are now we'd play the United Arab Emirates. If we win that, we'd play the fifth placed team out of South America (CONMEBOL) which at the moment is Peru (ranked 22 in the world compared to our 37).

A near on impossible task to qualify if we end up losing tonight.

Big game tonight against Japan in the World Cup qualifiers for the Socceroos. 8pm AEDT in Sydney.

Japan haven't beaten us in a WC match in Australia for 40 years, however we're going through a huge COVID crisis and we're without 11 of our regulars.

If we don't win this game we can pretty much kiss the World Cup qualification goodbye. A loss would move us into the intercontinental playoff route, where if things stand as they are now we'd play the United Arab Emirates. If we win that, we'd play the fifth placed team out of South America (CONMEBOL) which at the moment is Peru (ranked 22 in the world compared to our 37).

A near on impossible task to qualify if we end up losing tonight.

It's annoying, because we play in a five team confederation with 4.5 spots allocated, almost certainly about to increase for 2026 with the expansion of the finals to 48 teams.

Football to me has always been Aussie Rules. Soccer has always been soccer. So what if the rest of the world calls it football, they dont know Aussie Rules.
I bloody hate cricket. It grinds my gears how many people love it. It's the most boring game I could ever think of to watch. And tennis. And rugby, god how tedious. As for boxing, could you think if a bigger waste of time and money? Fishing too, not a sport and very annoying. Not just sports either, discussions about wine beer and whisky. Dumb arsed TV shows. Computer games. Food preparation.

Loads of people waste MY time discussing these subjects on the Saints board, and not even in dedicated threads either. Soccer is football and it's fine. Participation isn't obligatory.

Ange Postecoglu’s Celtic playing Rangers right now on beIN Sports 1 (Kayo) for anyone interested.

Ange now has a 6 point gap on top, and a stack of goal difference. He's nearly got it locked. Six matches to go!

I think a lot of people would have agreed at the start of the year that Rangers had the better squad.

He’s done a great job, not the most competitive of leagues but the level of scrutiny and pressure on Celtic and Rangers is full on.

Going to be a great end to the PL season. As an Arsenal fan I'm hoping we can cling on to 4th but imo Spurs are favourites at this point. And Liverpool vs Man City for the title will hopefully go down to the wire. At the other end the relegation battle is basically done, as long as Everton don't completely s**t the bed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back