Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Very unlucky. I was hoping you guys would win that one, for the purely selfish reason that it would keep your number of games high and increase the chances of a slip in the EPL. It will be interesting to see how the players respond.
It was a real kick-in-the-balls with the disallowed goal after the contentious VAR goal for them.

It might work out perfectly for Liverpool. If the club and players feel half as down as me and my City mates this morning, it's going to be hard to get themselves up for Saturday and next Wednesday.

When I first moved to Europe I lived with an old football-playing mate from Melbourne in Manchester (where he's from) funnily enough near Old Trafford for a bit over 6 months going to games home and away in 2006-07. This was before the big money came in and I really learned about the psyche of City supporters, they are no different from us Saints supporters in my opinion, their previous trophy when I was there was just after the Saints premiership.

Nearly all my Manchester mates are Reds and could never understand why anyone, let alone me, would support the "bitters" as City were known.

It's crazy how it has changed in the years since but there is a certain fatalistic psyche that lives on with City fans after all those barren years. It nearly manifested in the worst possible way on the famous League title win on the final day back in 2011-12, and still has an ability to rear it's head like last night, no matter the manager or the players there now.

I've got no idea how the players themselves will respond to that loss but I could easily see it taking the wind out of our sails at the worst possible time.

Last edited:

terrible result for Man U , dropped down to 6th place. It was how they started the season all over again. But well done to Everton , they played really well.
Ole looked drunk at the wheel today ;) was a strange match, Everton dominated them completely.

Cardiff Liverpool just kicked off now, tense 90 minutes ahead perhaps.

0-0 at half time.

Can’t work out how Firmino missed that chance, I took for granted he’d put that away.

Think Liverpool will find a way like they did against Chelsea after being 0-0 at half time but teams like Cardiff playing to avoid relegation can be really tricky at this time of year.

It was a real kick-in-the-balls with the disallowed goal after the contentious VAR goal for them.

It might work out perfectly for Liverpool. If the club and players feel half as down as me and my City mates this morning, it's going to be hard to get themselves up for Saturday and next Wednesday.

When I first moved to Europe I lived with an old football-playing mate from Melbourne in Manchester (where he's from) funnily enough near Old Trafford for a bit over 6 months going to games home and away in 2006-07. This was before the big money came in and I really learned about the psyche of City supporters, they are no different from us Saints supporters in my opinion, their previous trophy when I was there was just after the Saints premiership.

Nearly all my Manchester mates are Reds and could never understand why anyone, let alone me, would support the "bitters" as City were known.

It's crazy how it has changed in the years since but there is a certain fatalistic psyche that lives on with City fans after all those barren years. It nearly manifested in the worst possible way on the famous League title win on the final day back in 2001-12, and still has an ability to rear it's head like last night, no matter the manager or the players there now.

I've got no idea how the players themselves will respond to that loss but I could easily see it taking the wind out of our sails at the worst possible time.
Interesting story mate. I had a soft spot for City when I lived there. I was born in Liverpool to a reds family, although my parents weren’t all that interested, my grandfather was a fanatic. I’ll never forget going to Anfield to watch them play Manu with him. I thought he was the bravest man I’d ever known. They were violent times, skinheads were just starting out and the Mancs had their fair share. There were groups of them all the way in looking for trouble. He just told me to stay close and not look. He glided past without a care in the world.
We moved close to London after that and I remember getting really frustrated with the media focus on the London clubs, especially Arsenal. For me, the real rivalry became the London clubs not the more traditional North Western teams.
We moved to Oz when I was 11. Just before Liverpool started winning everything...

Embarrassed, ashamed, disgusted, furious.

Nothing more to add just now.

That’s almost word-for-word, MY comments after Everton’s “display”(?) against Fulham 8 short days before yesterday. Commiserations on the loss, but I’m sure you can understand MY joy in seeing my club inflict a pasting on a HUGE club, nothing personal.
I’m sure that your coach has already got a few names on his “for culling” list.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

terrible result for Man U , dropped down to 6th place. It was how they started the season all over again. But well done to Everton , they played really well.

If I didn’t know better, I’d say that the game is BENT! I simply could not believe how S-house Everton’s ( ahem ) “efforts” were just a week ago in losing 2-0 to Fulham.... a side already relegated for God’s sake!
And then? They dismantle Manchester United! Don’t get me wrong, I LOVED watching every minute of it..... BUT some of the United players were “less than committed” That’s the most charitable way I could describe the manner in which they capitulated. The pain could be seen on the faces of those supporters who travelled to “The Holy Ground” and were served up THAT! I’ve no doubt whatsoever, that the United Owners and Ole will sort out the dead wood in the off season.
COYB!
[ don’t get to say that too often ! ]

That’s almost word-for-word, MY comments after Everton’s “display”(?) against Fulham 8 short days before yesterday. Commiserations on the loss, but I’m sure you can understand MY joy in seeing my club inflict a pasting on a HUGE club, nothing personal.
I’m sure that your coach has already got a few names on his “for culling” list.

Everton were superb, possessing the hunger we didn't have. A number of United players couldn't be bothered to even run. Disgraceful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent and mature response mate, in the face of what for you guys was an embarrassment. Kudos! Good luck in the Derby game.

City will murder us. I can't wait to see the back of most of today's team over the next year or so.

City will murder us. I can't wait to see the back of most of today's team over the next year or so.

As I remarked in another post, if I didn’t know better I’d say the game was bent. Form goes right out of the window in Derby games..... particularly if Ole makes a statement and drops a couple of that side. I’d say that City and their supporters would MUCH prefer not to be relying on winning a derby match in order to keep pace with Liverpool.
Remember last season? The comeback? Don’t be too quick to write off your side, mate! After all we ARE Sainters! (God ‘elp us!)

Who do you want Man U to help win a title this year?
Liverpool or Man City?
:think:

Given the choice, I'd prefer City win it, but we have to worry about ourselves and try to get a Champions League place. It's a lose-situation now, but we have to beat City to have any chance of finishing in the top four.

Spurs have lost twice in 5 days yet it's been an amazing 5 day period! Playing well enough to be confident of at least 3 wins which should be enough for top 4 after last night and United V Chelsea still to come in a couple of weeks. No idea how the tie with Ajax will go but can only assume it'll be a very entertaining one given it's two teams who play exciting football, confident we can win but no Son in the first leg hurts massively. Special thanks to Everton, Palace, Fernando Llorente's hip and VAR.

Given the choice, I'd prefer City win it, but we have to worry about ourselves and try to get a Champions League place. It's a lose-situation now, but we have to beat City to have any chance of finishing in the top four.
I hope that ManU can find something - anything - inside Old Trafford to fight City with a spot in next year's CL at stake. They've produced so many heroic moments, been such a big club, surely they can make one final effort? As George said, even just a draw would be fine.

But it's looking increasingly like Liverpool are not going to be able to depend on that result, so let's hope Leicester's Brendan Rodgers can do the job and beat City in the following game. It would have a kind of poetic justice after getting LFC so far when he was their manager in '13-'14.

If the Reds win their 19th league on the back of that result, old Brendan might make it into Liverpool history as a legend after all!

What's the feeling like over there? I heard that some Utd fans are hoping to rest players for the derby to ensure Liverpool don't win the league. It's crazy to hear, given Utd should be worrying about a CL place.

What's the feeling like over there? I heard that some Utd fans are hoping to rest players for the derby to ensure Liverpool don't win the league. It's crazy to hear, given Utd should be worrying about a CL place.

If my club EVER did anything like that, simply to spite Liverpool, then I’d fair dinkum spew UP!!! 🤢🤢🤢🤮 ( and give the game up )

Not giving me much hope that United will put up a fight against City, which is a shame after Tottenham's pathetic display in the league.

We go down to Man City at the Etihad by a goal twice in four days. The first time it’s brilliant and the second time it’s pathetic?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back