DEVO

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2000
Canberra, ACT, Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels
Very good player, but I'll never forgive his team mate (Slaven Bilic IIRC) for his insipid antics in the 1998 WC Semi-Final that resulted in Laurent Blanc's sending off and missing the World Cup final. Blanc was wonderful servant of French Football and was one of the players of the tournament until that moment.

Zidane98

Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, LFC, MVFC, RC Strasbourg
Very good player, but I'll never forgive his team mate (Slaven Bilic IIRC) for his insipid antics in the 1998 WC Semi-Final that resulted in Laurent Blanc's sending off and missing the World Cup final. Blanc was wonderful servant of French Football and was one of the players of the tournament until that moment.
Bilic continues those antics to this day.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Eto'o
Adebayor
Inzaghi
Figo
Kewell
Beckham
Shearer
Raul
Crespo
Henry
Rui Costa
Fabregas

fu** could go on all day.

iluvparis

Premium Platinum
Apr 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Calgary Flames, Man Utd
Loved Kewell in his prime too. Majestic.
On that note - pretty much the entire Leeds line up from the CL semi against Valencia qualifies for this thread

Leeds United: Martyn, Mills, Harte, Ferdinand, Matteo, Bowyer, Dacourt, Batty, Kewell, Viduka, Smith. Subs: Robinson, Kelly, Woodgate, McPhail, Wilcox, Bakke, Burns.

Fair side!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cruyff14

TheBrownDog
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Great call. At his absolute peak he was one of the best strikers that I've ever seen but as you say, it was just a shame that he wasn't able to sustain it for very long.
He was deadly at Parma and then got even better at Inter. His dad dying really got to him, he put on weight, fell out of form and never really recovered from it.

A shame, but he'd definitely be among the best strikers of his generation if he continued on that trajectory IMO.

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
A player in the 80s who was entertaining was Polish player Boniek. Played in Serie A for a few years, scored a hat trick in ‘82 WC. Very skilful on the ball and very quick. Classy player

DEVO

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2000
Canberra, ACT, Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels
On that note - pretty much the entire Leeds line up from the CL semi against Valencia qualifies for this thread

Leeds United: Martyn, Mills, Harte, Ferdinand, Matteo, Bowyer, Dacourt, Batty, Kewell, Viduka, Smith. Subs: Robinson, Kelly, Woodgate, McPhail, Wilcox, Bakke, Burns.

Fair side!
Speaking of Leeds United, my favourite LUFC player was Michael Bridges, but I thought his best year was 2005/06 when he played for Carlisle United.

Remove this Banner Ad