Footballers of yesteryear

Remove this Banner Ad

Very good player, but I'll never forgive his team mate (Slaven Bilic IIRC) for his insipid antics in the 1998 WC Semi-Final that resulted in Laurent Blanc's sending off and missing the World Cup final. Blanc was wonderful servant of French Football and was one of the players of the tournament until that moment.

Very good player, but I'll never forgive his team mate (Slaven Bilic IIRC) for his insipid antics in the 1998 WC Semi-Final that resulted in Laurent Blanc's sending off and missing the World Cup final. Blanc was wonderful servant of French Football and was one of the players of the tournament until that moment.

Bilic continues those antics to this day.

Eto'o
Adebayor
Inzaghi
Figo
Kewell
Beckham
Shearer
Raul
Crespo
Henry
Rui Costa
Fabregas

* could go on all day.

Loved Kewell in his prime too. Majestic.

On that note - pretty much the entire Leeds line up from the CL semi against Valencia qualifies for this thread

Leeds United: Martyn, Mills, Harte, Ferdinand, Matteo, Bowyer, Dacourt, Batty, Kewell, Viduka, Smith. Subs: Robinson, Kelly, Woodgate, McPhail, Wilcox, Bakke, Burns.

Fair side!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great call. At his absolute peak he was one of the best strikers that I've ever seen but as you say, it was just a shame that he wasn't able to sustain it for very long.
He was deadly at Parma and then got even better at Inter. His dad dying really got to him, he put on weight, fell out of form and never really recovered from it.

A shame, but he'd definitely be among the best strikers of his generation if he continued on that trajectory IMO.

A player in the 80s who was entertaining was Polish player Boniek. Played in Serie A for a few years, scored a hat trick in ‘82 WC. Very skilful on the ball and very quick. Classy player

On that note - pretty much the entire Leeds line up from the CL semi against Valencia qualifies for this thread

Leeds United: Martyn, Mills, Harte, Ferdinand, Matteo, Bowyer, Dacourt, Batty, Kewell, Viduka, Smith. Subs: Robinson, Kelly, Woodgate, McPhail, Wilcox, Bakke, Burns.

Fair side!
Speaking of Leeds United, my favourite LUFC player was Michael Bridges, but I thought his best year was 2005/06 when he played for Carlisle United.

Michael Owen.

Hated him after the 2001 FA Cup, but looking back on his abilities in retrospect, he was very, very good.

Injuries may have hampered him, but his peak -albeit relatively early - was quality.

Ballon d'Or winner too in an era of exceptional footballers.

Found this to be a good interview

Forgot how quick he actually was. Absolute lightning and knew where the goal was this his eyes closed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back