VFL Footscray 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Footscray are $21 on Ladbrokes to win the flag. This seems way overpriced considering we went undefeated 2 seasons ago and there has been fairly minimal change.

Am I missing something?

I know we missed finals last year which I thought was largely due to injuries to fringe depth players.
You are missing common sense if you are looking towards the bookies predictions for the VFL competition.

Footscray are $21 on Ladbrokes to win the flag. This seems way overpriced considering we went undefeated 2 seasons ago and there has been fairly minimal change.

Am I missing something?

I know we missed finals last year which I thought was largely due to injuries to fringe depth players.

Last year was mostly because we couldn't field a consistent side. 2021 we were very fit and ran out games very well, never forget the game where we kicked something like 80 or 90 in a half to run over the top of the Swans at Whitten Oval.

Am I missing something?

What do you mean minimal change? Footscray might be good but it’s an entirely different lineup.

As an example the best players in the last 2021 Footscray game included Lipinski, L Young, Richards & Schache. None of which will feature in a VFL game. Other players that will be missing include Cavarra, Hayes, William, Glass-McCasker etc. By the time round 1 rolls around, there will probably only be 7-8 of the same players in each game.

VFL Practice match:
SATURDAY, MARCH 11
North Melbourne vs. Footscray (Arden St, 10.30am, 4x20min)

From what i can gather so far
Out:
Charlie Cormack
Ned Nichols
Cooper Craig-Peters
Will Lewis
Nayef Hamad
Angus Bade
Bailey Van De Heuvel
Ethan Hunt
Ben Bozinoski

In:

Caleb Pouter (AFL Collingwood)
Jay Rantall (AFL Collingwood)
Ned Harris
Sam Willoughby
Tritan Maple

Last edited:
VFL Practice match:
SATURDAY, MARCH 11

Out:
Charlie Cormack
Charlie Macisaac
Ned Nichols
Bromell Hugo
Cooper Craig-Peters
Will Lewis
Nayef Hamad
Angus Bade
Bailey Van De Heuvel
Josh Patullo
Ethan Hunt
Ben Bozinoski
Bailey Young

In:

Ned Harris
Sam Willoughby
Tritan Maple
So thirteen out and only five in!

Our backline is going to be under a lot of pressure 🤣

VFL Practice match:
SATURDAY, MARCH 11

Out:
Charlie Cormack
Charlie Macisaac
Ned Nichols
Bromell Hugo
Cooper Craig-Peters
Will Lewis
Nayef Hamad
Angus Bade
Bailey Van De Heuvel
Josh Patullo
Ethan Hunt
Ben Bozinoski
Bailey Young

In:

Ned Harris
Sam Willoughby
Tritan Maple
Not liking the exodus of Baileys. Can never have too much Baileys.

Don’t take this as a request but the main thing I look for in the VFL fixture is how it aligns to the AFL fixture.

As fans we were very frustrated last year as just about every VFL game seemed to be:
  • Earlier in the day so 1-2 emergencies didn’t get a game that weekend
  • Same day but in different state or Ballarat vs Melbourne (see above)
  • Sunday VFL games the week before a Friday AFL game so anyone getting promoted had a 5 day break.
In summary what I look for is:
  1. Will the AFL emergencies get a game that weekend
  2. Do the good VFL players have a chance to properly recover to play AFL the next week.
The AFL needs a national reserves comp before it considers expanding the league again, goddamn it’s a joke that we don’t have this for a professional *ing sport.

Even just not aligning the VFL with the AFL start of season is a big problem, then of course the absolute sham of AFL clubs playing off in finals and some teams playing reserves footy some not.

These things need to be aligned to get the best out of your list and develop players properly, but here we are…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Baker, Bruce & Khamis were selected in both sides. I wonder if that means we’ll only play a 5 man bench in the AFL game? Maybe those 3 will play the second half of the AFL game and the first half of the VFL game.

Good to see JJ on the list. Hopefully he can push for round 1 selection.

So Baker, Bruce & Khamis were selected in both sides. I wonder if that means we’ll only play a 5 man bench in the AFL game? Maybe those 3 will play the second half of the AFL game and the first half of the VFL game.

Good to see JJ on the list. Hopefully he can push for round 1 selection.

Bevo tends to treat preseason matches as the real thing in terms of tactics and match day preparation, we keep to the interchange limits and only use a normal sized bench.

1. .We used to have a great VFL social media team but it's completely stopped.
I watched the first quarter.

• JJ played as a defender and looked a little ginger but did some nice things l
  • Cleary played deep and had his hands full but competed well
  • Harvey Gallagher played across half back struggled with his first couple of disposals (missed target with his first kick and his first hand pass) He got a free kick for too high outside 50 and kicked a goal with a bomb that went through post high. He has a nice turn of speed as well
  • Sweet moved well and controlled the hit outs but Nth mids were dominant
  • Garcia was good (onball)
  • McComb played in the guts
  • McNeil didn’t touch it
  • Buku looked dangerous up forward kick 1 and missed a couple
  • Raak played fwd didn’t impact much
If Nth kicked straight they would have been up by 30pts

I watched the first quarter.

• JJ played as a defender and looked a little ginger but did some nice things l
  • Cleary played deep and had his hands full but competed well
  • Harvey Gallagher played across half back struggled with his first couple of disposals (missed target with his first kick and his first hand pass) He got a free kick for too high outside 50 and kicked a goal with a bomb that went through post high. He has a nice turn of speed as well
  • Sweet moved well and controlled the hit outs but Nth mids were dominant
  • Garcia was good (onball)
  • McComb played in the guts
  • McNeil didn’t touch it
  • Buku looked dangerous up forward kick 1 and missed a couple
  • Raak played fwd didn’t impact much
If Nth kicked straight they would have been up by 30pts
I don't know why the coaching staff are persisting with Raak up forward?

He played juniors as a defender and did well last year there

It seems strange especially considering he won’t be getting a game up forward in the AFL side anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think it’s as much as anything to maintain something of a similar team structure between the AFL and VFL teams. Who else is playing KPF at VFL level?

If Bruce and Raak are both in VFL round 1, I think they’d prefer to keep developing Bruce in the backline and have Raak forward. He’ll still learn something as a forward but I think we’re prioritising others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back